Life of a aluminum vs steel CKing ss cog- Mtbr.com
    NardoSS

Life of a aluminum vs steel CKing ss cog

Hey all, thanks in advance.

I'm looking at a Chris King rear cog 16 or 17 and have noticed a huge difference in price when compared to the steel model. What is the life of an aluminum cog compared to a steel one. Again 16 or 17 tooth.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm running the 17t aluminum and it works great. The stainless is not worth the price.

Mr. A

mtbr member
    I ran an aluminum Chris King cog once. I ran it to the bone in a month or two. Since, I have been on steel Chris King cog's (a few different bikes) and I haven't had to change any of them. They are worth their weight in gold.

Really stay away from the aluminum ones. Just like any other aluminum cog, they will simply wear the drivetrain down.
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Odranicus
    Hey all, thanks in advance.

I'm looking at a Chris King rear cog 16 or 17 and have noticed a huge difference in price when compared to the steel model. What is the life of an aluminum cog compared to a steel one. Again 16 or 17 tooth.
    the aluminum ones wear out really quick. my gf chewed through one in just a few races this season, when i replaced her chain it ran horribly. luckily CK cogs are perfectly symmetrical so i flipped it and got some more life out of it. when this side of the cog is worn im putting the SS version on!

mtbr member
    I'd say stay away from the Aluminium ones, I had an 18T Steel which had been great, so when I decided to go 16T I went with an alu one to see how it'd go. I chewed one of the teeth in the first week, sent it back paid the difference and got another steel one instead!

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    The steel version is far and away a better value.

Grand Poobah
    If I was sure of the cog size that I wanted, I would invest in the King steel cog. In the meantime, while you are trying out gear ratios it's fine to chew up some aluminum ones.

Since the King's come in a certain range of tooth counts, I had to go to another maker for really big cogs. But I think of it this way: when I buy a cog for my track bike, I buy steel.

NardoSS
    Right on, thanks all for the advice. I was going to buy the steel Chris King, but then I noticed that a Boone Ti 17 tooth was just about the same price. Needless to say...

Thanks again all. :-)

Members who have read this thread: 0