Lenz Lunchmoney, anybody ever ride one?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Lenz Lunchmoney, anybody ever ride one?

I really like this bike on paper but I've never had the opportunity to even see one in person. Can anybody with experience with them provide some insight? I'm interested in running it with 29+ tires.

I've ridden plenty of 700c ss rigid and my current mountain bike is a Kona A, which is concentric pivot fs ss 26er with 100mm front and 80mm rear travel and 2.3s, so it's like the little brother to the Lunchmoney. I've never been on a 29er ss.
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Can't give any input on the Lenz, but I looked up that Kona. I kinda want one now. Schweet. Looks like a fun bike, and found a vintage review on Dirt Rag's site.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    It's a great bike. It's a black 18" with sliding dropouts and disc brakes, but I also have a blue 21" frame with horizontal dropouts (track ends) that I got as a spare. It's a pretty rare bike as far as I can tell. I had to track the black one down on the internet like a detective (a story for a different time), and the blue one I was lucky enough to randomly see on Craigslist in a post without even the name of the bike in the title or description.

This is why I think the Lunchmoney would be so great. But, I don't live anywhere near Lenz. Mostly I like that it's fs and has clearance for 29+, but I don't think I could use all the travel it has to offer, and the price is pretty steep (although I understand why).
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by buell View Post
    I'm interested in running it with 29+ tires.
    You've found one with 29+ capability?

I think there are 2 of those on the planet. I'm considering ordering a new one.

Excellent craftsmanship, stiff frame, really, really light for what it is. Rear sus takes some fiddling to get dialed in, but any modern shock (Monarch or Inline, ideally) can be made to work great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    You've found one with 29+ capability?

I think there are 2 of those on the planet. I'm considering ordering a new one.
    I haven't found anything. It's listed in their "plus" section and I'm pretty sure I saw pics of one somewhere with 29+. Is this something you have to ask for when ordering? The website doesn't make things clear. What else is new about the "new" one?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Excellent craftsmanship, stiff frame, really, really light for what it is. Rear sus takes some fiddling to get dialed in, but any modern shock (Monarch or Inline, ideally) can be made to work great.
    I wonder if you could order it without a shock for a discount?
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by buell View Post
    I haven't found anything. It's listed in their "plus" section and I'm pretty sure I saw pics of one somewhere with 29+. Is this something you have to ask for when ordering? The website doesn't make things clear. What else is new about the "new" one?

I wonder if you could order it without a shock for a discount?

Yep, you'll need to specify plus.

Yes, you can order without a shock, but you'll get a better deal on the shock you need if you have them provide it.