left sided drive train- Mtbr.com
    blet drive

left sided drive train

so i am toying woth the idea od making a left sided drive fixed gear.. Any one have any ideas on how this would work or what kind of hub I need??

thanks for any help..
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

What could go wrong ...
    use the crankset off of a tandem and a flip flop hub ... done
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

General industry guy
    Sep 2009
    You could use a nice three-piece BMX crank, say, a Profile or something. Doesn't matter which side the chainring is on. Of course, the hub is another story - if you use a typical freewheel hub, all your power is going to be attempting to spin the cog loose. Even with a nice, tight, and reversibly-threaded lockring, I wouldn't like the odds. Look into a cassette hub that's been disabled - I think Surly makes some sort of cassette body "fixer". I would think that maybe that would be a possibility to run the other way around.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

holding back the darkness
    Any crankset should be able to run on the left side. Just make sure to loctite your pedals on. The hub won't really matter because fixed is fixed, flip-flop or no. If you're trying to make this work on the relatively cheap side, the Surly Fixxer or a Tomi-cog might be worth investigating if you don't already have a thread-on freewheel hub.
    While you're at it, why not run a double drive setup with a drivetrain on both sides?Twice the power transfer. The monster-truck of fixies. One side for power and the other for braking. You will probably have twice the "feel" for the trail too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    i had a friend who did this. even after really tightening his pedals, one still kept falling off.
    BUT, i do like your style.
    -Kyle

www.ByeKyle.com
    Simple Strap

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    find a shop that has a crank heilcoil tap. it is for fixing bad threads in the crank. it cuts a bigger hole then taps new threads that you put an insert into that brings the thread pitch back to 9/16. but, you can use the left cutter on the right crank and it becomes a left crank. the pedals will never fall off again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    why not dual drive? (if you're going for shock factor?) you could do fixed on the right side and a Tomi-Cog or freewheel on the left side.

PS, i'm not really suggesting this. just think it would be cool to see.
    -Kyle

www.ByeKyle.com
    Simple Strap

mtbr member
    Tandem cranks solve the lefthand problem.
    Lefthanded BMX hubs solve the rear problem but you'll need to extend the axle and space the hub.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Double side drive was done back in the early 80's....

Never rode a bike set up with them....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails left sided drive train-clemimg_1099.jpg  

left sided drive train-clemimg_1098.jpg  

left sided drive train-clemimg_1100.jpg  

mtbr member
    The double crank is a heavy and more complex answer to having suitably stiff chainstays, but it looks good
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    oh yeah!!!.... and like after you do the double crank you could setup double front brake, disc and V-brake!! should be easy: just get a bmx cable, the one for the Oryg, it has a splice and pulls two cables with one lever!!! no sweat! twice the torque and twice the stopping power, now you can suck twice as bad.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just use a 3 piece crank and disk hub with a tomi cog. And lock tight the crap out of the pedals.

mtbr member
    curt really? a fixed left side drive. look at the bmx stuff. some of those bikes have setups for left side drive.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Look here.

blet drive
    thank every one i love the info... will poist pick when we get here done..
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    It would be cool if there was a hub that could just disengage the left side cog or the right side cog remotely. Then you could run some insane gear combination of super hard on one side and super easy on the other for the ultimate 2-speed drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Any crankset should be able to run on the left side. Just make sure to loctite your pedals on. The hub won't really matter because fixed is fixed, flip-flop or no. If you're trying to make this work on the relatively cheap side, the Surly Fixxer or a Tomi-cog might be worth investigating if you don't already have a thread-on freewheel hub.
    While you're at it, why not run a double drive setup with a drivetrain on both sides?Twice the power transfer. The monster-truck of fixies. One side for power and the other for braking. You will probably have twice the "feel" for the trail too.

You could swap the spindles in your pedals to have the bodies go the right direction. Or just get a LHD crankset.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You do not want to use a flip flop hub, the threads would be reversed and would tend to loosen over time. Threads are the direction they are for a reason. Same with crank arms- do not try to loctite a pedal on a crank arm mounted on the wrong side- it will still loosen over time. Bad plan. You could, however, use a chainring mounted on a 6 bolt rotor on the left in combination with a left side tandem crank as someone else mentioned. Then you could use a rim brake if you want a brake. Maybe using a front disc hub with a wider axle as your rear hub so there is no unsightly junk on the right side... (why? because you can) I knew a guy who had a dedicated SS fixed gear custom built, it was pretty fun to ride up hill and on the flats. Downhill, not so much.

(not that fast)
    I actually considered trying this too. I was going to go on the uber cheap and JB weld the hub. I figured this would be the safe way of trying fix because if the jb weld failed, it wouldn't be the brakes failing, just the accelerator.

Members who have read this thread: 0