Left Side Drive Fixie/SS?- Mtbr.com
    Leg Shaver

Left Side Drive Fixie/SS?

Before you all ask why allow me to say because I can. Like my dog takes care of himself because he can

I found an old DX Tandem Captain Crankset in a LBS collecting dust and talked them into letting it go for a milk Share and Fries..

I have a frame in the garage and parts etc.

So I have this idea to build a left side Drive SS.

Can anyone share ideas how one might set up the rear wheel/hub fixed or free? What about BB spindle and chain line?
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    wont work for fixed gear, when you pedal, you will be putting force of the cog in the wrong direction, causing it to loosen, or the other way around... i cant remember. Or when you go to skid stop, you will be loosening the cog, putting lots of force and causing the lockring to strip... BAD IDEA. You could run a tomicog or something like that that bolts to a disc hub and that would work... but it gets expensive. But for SS, the freewheel would spin in the wrong direction.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    they make left side drive bmx freewheels

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes, But, i believe they all require a LHD freewheel specific bmx hub, which has a smaller thread size than a standard mountain bike screw on freewheel.

ACS LHD freewheel:
    Product Features

* Left hand-drive freewheels
    * Need special left threaded hub
    * 1.37" x 24tpi LH threading

mtbr member
    Do you have a spare disc wheel or hub? Get a Tomicog for a disc hub and you're pretty much set. Nothing else required

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.SBC
    wont work for fixed gear, when you pedal, you will be putting force of the cog in the wrong direction, causing it to loosen, or the other way around... i cant remember. Or when you go to skid stop, you will be loosening the cog, putting lots of force and causing the lockring to strip... BAD IDEA. You could run a tomicog or something like that that bolts to a disc hub and that would work... but it gets expensive. But for SS, the freewheel would spin in the wrong direction.
    Braking would tighten the cog and pedaling forward would loosen it if there wasn't a lockring to hold it (the opposite of a normal fixie where braking loosens the cog against the lockring). I've never heard of a lockring being destroyed like that under hard braking on a normal fixie, so I don't see why pedaling would stress it so much more and make it so terrible

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    im just commenting on this because i have done it before with a tandem crankset. I noticed the cog would loosen and tighten even when the lockring was properly torqued

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Do you have a spare disc wheel or hub? Get a Tomicog for a disc hub and you're pretty much set. Nothing else required

Winner .

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Winner .
    yep.

and as far a FW, bmx is your only hope.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Cheap Nashbar frame, drilled cog. Ended up with a Tomicog, my holes enlongated. Broke chainstay on frame.

Leg Shaver
    is Spacing limited to 135 rear for the 5 bolt or any disc hub for that matter??

AZ
    banned
    Velosolo.com , conversion disc hubs .

master blaster
    sorry but may i ask why?
    sure there is a way to make it work(tomicog) but im still curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I second boomn. The lockring should keep the cog from unscrewing and if it doesn't, locktite will. Just make sure you like the gear ratio first.

I don't know what bike you were going to slap this on, but if it is steel with 130mm spacing, a 135mm hub will be fine, because you will then be using a tomicog, and that must be a good thing.

mtbr member
    veloreality: sorry but may i ask why?

He said "because he can" Hardly a good reason, but I have seen worse ways to waste time.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Leg Shaver
    @ velosexuality

because my balls sit to the left of my saddle

Leg Shaver
    Velosolo.com , conversion disc hubs .

this is why I love this board

thank you what a cool company and a great find. I will spend some money in there

all the best and keep spinning man

Teen Wolf
    Here is my left side drive fixie:

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Anyone ever do a dual drive? Tomicog would make this possible too right?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike Turner
    this is why I love this board

thank you what a cool company and a great find. I will spend some money in there

all the best and keep spinning man

Glad it works for you , want to see what your cooking up .

AZ
    banned
    [QUOTE=bipolarbear]Anyone ever do a dual drive? Tomicog would make this possible too right?[/QUOTE\

Possible ? Yes , two drive side crank arms. Why? seems that other than bling its kind of pointless , unless I'm missing something .

Leg Shaver
    people do what they want to do AZ

a good question is why do you care? yours is to ask why our is to ask why not

other than to say so on the internet bro. blog bling yo

AZ
    banned
    people do what they want to do AZ

a good question is why do you care? yours is to ask why our is to ask why not

other than to say so on the internet bro. blog bling yo

And all these years I was following the misguided thought that going single speed meant keeping it simple , getting rid of the extra parts not neccesary to make the machine function . Who would have thought ?

mtbr member
    And all these years I was following the misguided thought that going single speed meant keeping it simple , getting rid of the extra parts not neccesary to make the machine function . Who would have thought ?
    That just shows that you have been making big assumptions about other people's motives for a long time. Personally I'm in it for the challenge and the connectedness of riding, the simplicity is only a nice small bonus. Keeping my drivetrain finely tuned when I had full gears was never a problem for me and wasn't much of a hassle. I just like riding my SS better

Leg Shaver
    AZ I know you care but it is not a moral issue

AZ
    banned
    AZ I know you care but it is not a moral issue

Just different philosophy , not baggin on anyone just trying to understand what I view as an over complication . Ride safe everyone .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear
    Anyone ever do a dual drive? Tomicog would make this possible too right?
    I saw a fixie at a bikeshop in nashville set up with 2 chainrigs, 2 chains, and 2 fixed cogs. Seemed like not enough bling for the increase in rotating mass.

And I've had a few friends who have run their fixies LHD and had no problems with the lockring coming undone. Would I do it? No, especially if I was running brakeless.

If you want to push this concept further, you could get a LHD BMX hub with a 10mm axle and space it out to 135mm but then you'll run into weird chainline/rim dishing challenges. And it would cost a lot of money.

Does the crank only work in LHD orientation? Seems like you could just move it to the other side of the bike.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob
    I saw a fixie at a bikeshop in nashville set up with 2 chainrigs, 2 chains, and 2 fixed cogs. Seemed like not enough bling for the increase in rotating mass.

And I've had a few friends who have run their fixies LHD and had no problems with the lockring coming undone. Would I do it? No, especially if I was running brakeless.

If you want to push this concept further, you could get a LHD BMX hub with a 10mm axle and space it out to 135mm but then you'll run into weird chainline/rim dishing challenges. And it would cost a lot of money.

Does the crank only work in LHD orientation? Seems like you could just move it to the other side of the bike.

When you change a crankarm from one side to the other you have to change the thread on the pedal hole . A Heli-coil is a good way to do this .

Leg Shaver
    Why? why ask? Why lower an Impala. Why lift a F350? Why put a Kazoo on the back of your honda civic. Why Chrome out your harley? Why put a sub woofer in your trunk? Why run a 12" chopper fork on your motorcycle? Why a 29er 6 inch DH bike?

AZ it is like saying why hit on that chick at the end of the bar when you can go home and rub one out?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can also use a White Ind. track hub.

Tim

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    When you change a crankarm from one side to the other you have to change the thread on the pedal hole . A Heli-coil is a good way to do this .
    Or buy some cheap tandem crankset on Ebay. I think mine was $20-25 shipped, but that was a couple of years ago. The rear wheel is from a cheap bike & the freehub was shot. The frame was a $45 Nashbar clearance item. The fork is a $29 Jenson Zion. The whole build was very inexpensive.
    I did it just because I could.

Leg Shaver

this was answered with a tandem captians crankset as suggested earlier

Leg Shaver
    Quote Originally Posted by TimT
    You can also use a White Ind. track hub.

Tim
    Thanks for the info. I never paid attention to White Ind track hubs. So it looks like the splined assembly lessens potential lock ring loosening on the left side...? nice

I had an eno eccentric hub once and I must say that it is one of the finest machined and functioning parts I have ever owned in cycling over 35 years. They make good stuff I am sorry I didn't pay attention to their track hubs

mtbr member
    LeVel also make a fixie hub that'd work in either direction, no problems.

http://www.levelcomponents.com/

Members who have read this thread: 1