Learn me on the cheeeeep side of these single speed thingys.- Mtbr.com
    rho
    Life is strange

Learn me on the cheeeeep side of these single speed thingys.

So I'm thinking about trying to get a single speed for a crappy weather bike around the bay area, any recs for cheeeep beater bikes with crappy but do the job and dont break parts but having a decent frame?

I think a 29er would be mo bettah, but im not sure I care. Same with frame matls.
    I think a rigid steel 29er would be a blast, but I find my self asking.... Do I care? And the answer is for my needs for this thing, I dont think I do.

Bonus points for being under 600, coming in obnoxious colors and having a not sucky frame

Sent by smoke signal.

HOV
    mtbr member
    Redline monocog

Dawes Bullseye/Deadeye - my personal fave

I've seen Karate Monkies on CL for $500

mtbr member
    Bikes direct has some really cheap but decent bikes that would suit you. They are a good deal IF you know how to work on your own bike.

rho
    Life is strange
    The Dawes looks decent, too bad theyre out of stock on the 19s, that othet BD singlespeed looks like it dosnt totally suck.

Any word on the quality of the frame? Anyone break them in any new or intetesting ways?

Sent by smoke signal.

HOV
    mtbr member
    I've had eveything from higher end Titanium Merlins to lower end aluminum Treks. The Dawes Deadeye/Bullseye is something special. It fits me just right, and feels fantastic to ride. I've beaten the living daylights out of that thing and it soaks it all up with aplomb.

The frame is solid and the components that come with it from the factory are not bad, they're about on par with what you get on a Redline Monocog. Mine's upgraded quite a bit; I'm riding it as a hardtail now.

It's not a lightweight frame, but I don't care one bit about riding a lightweight bike. It's heavy enough to soak up the bumps very well, take a lot of abuse, and transfer power very well to the wheels. I love the long wheelbase, it matches my stand-and-mash style very well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

rho
    Life is strange
    Well, it looks like i might be going with a Gravity 29 when some cash comes wandering, i have a business trip coming up so that means lots of OT moooney.
    Price is right for basic cheap bike that'll deal with crappy weather and in the future hauling the kid around..... And the wife put her stamp of approval on it. I'm sure this just means I'll be buying or building her a bike soon

Whats nice about the BD stuff is I look at it as a pile of parts that needs to get broken down upon arrival, cleaned, checked out to make sure they're acceptable and built back up. Wheels, frame/headset/fork etc. I really wish I could find a 29er that is as nimble as my chameleon, but that just won't happen (and no, I won't make it a SS, evar)

Dinner for wolves
    Wait...is this for commuting or for actual mt biking? Get a Karate Monkey. If you hate the SS thing on a KM, it isn't the bike. It's you. Mystery thus solved.
    Responds to gravity

rho
    Life is strange
    Mostly MTB during nasty months. The gearing all the bikes listed here come with are lower or the same as the low gear on my cyclocross bike, so riding that up hills won't be too bad.

I just need a cheeeeep beater bike with a half decent frame, so as I break parts/wear them out/etc It won't be too much of a hit to replace stuff.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I'm looking (Hard) the Gravity G29 too-not for a first SS by ANY stretch of the word,but I find myself without 2 things...a SS at the moment (first time over 1 week's time in 15 years) and without a budget.

Did you know,for a hunderd bucks more,you get a lockout equipped,preload adjustable 100mm fork to go with,and you can get it in a see-it-in-the-dark-from-the-moon- neon green? I mention since you asked about colors...

If you score one,be SURE to post up thoughts,ride impressions,etc,especially with pics the dirtier (muddier) the better
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker View Post
    I'm looking (Hard) the Gravity G29 too-not for a first SS by ANY stretch of the word,but I find myself without 2 things...a SS at the moment (first time over 1 week's time in 15 years) and without a budget.

Did you know,for a hunderd bucks more,you get a lockout equipped,preload adjustable 100mm fork to go with,and you can get it in a see-it-in-the-dark-from-the-moon- neon green? I mention since you asked about colors...

If you score one,be SURE to post up thoughts,ride impressions,etc,especially with pics the dirtier (muddier) the better
    Don't need a squishy fork, got one on the Chameleon! Thats the bike that goes to all the fun places around here, you see, demo, skeggs, etc. I did think about that neon green though. I like bright colors.

And besides, rigid bikes have a certain flickablity to them! My cross bike has taught me this much.

Be one with the bike and the world is yours, try to go too fast on a rocky trail you'll get stuck with pf changs for dinner. --- some random fortune cookie

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    Don't need a squishy fork, got one on the Chameleon! Thats the bike that goes to all the fun places around here, you see, demo, skeggs, etc. I did think about that neon green though. I like bright colors.

And besides, rigid bikes have a certain flickablity to them! My cross bike has taught me this much.

Be one with the bike and the world is yours, try to go too fast on a rocky trail you'll get stuck with pf changs for dinner. --- some random fortune cookie
    LMAO,that's why I said I mentioned it "because of the color" . Some of us though,has spinal injuries and cain't not "be one with the bike",not when speaking rigid and aluminumnumnum in the same statement,at least not if one wants to be able to ride much longer
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

rho
    Life is strange
    LMAO,that's why I said I mentioned it "because of the color" . Some of us though,has spinal injuries and cain't not "be one with the bike",not when speaking rigid and aluminumnumnum in the same statement,at least not if one wants to be able to ride much longer
    I've always that the most fun I have on a bike is when not out for speed but just trying to be Smoooooth!

Sounds like you need a sweet steel ride with some 2.4's and a squishy fork.
    I run 2.3's out back on the lizzard, it makes a big difference unless you're really really hammering it. Granted its sucks to try to get that up to speed sometimes, but it is quite nice. OF course there always are fat bikes... Of course this is all said with know knowledge of your riding style, habits, terrain or details of previous injuries, limitations and experience... of course I say that and I have a shoulder that swells up after a day of mountain biking or after an hour long CX race...

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    LOL,I feel ya (on the shoulder woes after a hard ride),ripped muscle from bone riding in Blacksburg several years ago,dang thing still acts up once in a while

I miss my Jabber (twas sold to finance an Xtracycle build this Spring),twas steel,80mm air forked and 2.35's on 'er...the plan now is something like a G29 with or without the budget squishy (depending on what squishies are on eBay at the time of cash in pocket around bike buy time),and look into a new Jabber v2.0 or Origin 8 Scout 29 frame to swap the parts onto (actually,that's how the Jabber got started with a Deadeye )

FWIW,been riding since forever (mid 80's),and at 39.5 yearns old,HOPING to do so another 30+
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Fwiw I am very happy with my G29 in my commuter SS build.

All I had to do was change the brake pads, the chain tensioners and gearing and it's a great downtown all weather bomber.

Even with all the miscellaneous things that I've added or changed on this bike, I've spent about $350 in total (got bike cheap off bike island with scratched frame)

There's lots of posts by myself and others in this thread about it

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Yep yep yep,read through it a few days ago (I was the last poster),good thread-not enough pics
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

WillWorkForTrail
    I'd second the Nashbar 29er SS. Cheap, simple, pretty standard parts. You could do a lot worse. It's the most fun $400 I've ever spent on a bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Civilian Luddite was on sale for $636 and is pretty solid, keep an eye at at Backcountry and they'll most likely blow them out at some point.

I've ordered a few internet bikes and the one we bought from Bikes Direct was easily the worst as far as packaging goes - it was a beat up and scratched mess when it arrived with untruable(sp) wheels. I've also bought bikes from Jenson USA which was pretty well packaged and assembled. Backcountry, HnR and CC are in a whole different category - they were assembled, adjusted and packaged by somebody that really cared and must be paid a living wage. No experience with Nashbar.

rho
    Life is strange
    Wouldnt be the first time ive had to rebuild factory built wheels before getting on a bike to ride...

Sent by smoke signal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Big fan of my BD Motobecane Outcast 29er SS (no suspension fork), they only seem to have the one with a suspension fork now, but for $300, I am really enjoy mine. They had a blowout a while back and I got it for $300
    29er Singlespeed Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Outcast 29
    seem to be out of stock but you never know when they might put more up. Got the white one and it looks slick, not that anyone gets to see it, I tend to drop everyone I ride with on this thing.

That being said, I would totally rock an expensive SS (Reeb, Civilian, etc) if some money comes my way.

miwuksurfer
    Dude, just buy something used from the classifieds here or on craigslist. Then go buy some beer and new tires with the money you save.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post
    Dude, just buy something used from the classifieds here or on craigslist. Then go buy some beer and new tires with the money you save.
    Or go old skool and convert a vintage 26er to SS from craigslist or some such.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just got a Gravity 29er from BD. I am pretty happy so far with the exception of the tugs which i ordered some redline 3/8 to mod and fix that problem.

mtbr member
    My budget on an Origin 8 Scout was under $600 with a careful selection of parts. I got the frame and fork for $199 shipped!

mtbr member
    I've got a Nashbar 29er SS and have been very happy with it.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by fast_times View Post
    I just got a Gravity 29er from BD. I am pretty happy so far with the exception of the tugs which i ordered some redline 3/8 to mod and fix that problem.
    I'm leaning HARD in that direction myself (I mention this again only out of excitement that I was able to kick the budget off to start with yesterday's pay and I'm only $249.95 away )

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    My budget on an Origin 8 Scout was under $600 with a careful selection of parts. I got the frame and fork for $199 shipped!
    That's the frame I'm thinking of upgrading a G29 to late next year,my O8 cx'er is still serving me very well after nearly 2 years and 2000 miles (road,gravel,and technical singletrack),so I would expect the Scout to be a good riding/serving frame as well (BTW,pics anywhere on here of it?)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    That's the frame I'm thinking of upgrading a G29 to late next year,my O8 cx'er is still serving me very well after nearly 2 years and 2000 miles (road,gravel,and technical singletrack),so I would expect the Scout to be a good riding/serving frame as well (BTW,pics anywhere on here of it?)
    At the end of this thread
    http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/w...-779822-3.html

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Cool,thans,nice!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Robtre
    Not sure what size you want but here is a flippin" sweet deal on a Moncog from my local website. Cant view pics unless you are a member but I will pull em down for you..

Tarheel Trailblazers Message Board - Redline Monocog 29er 19" singlespeed with Reba
    -rides bikes for fun.

Robtre

Redline Monocog

If it was my size it would be mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Learn me on the cheeeeep side of these single speed thingys.-redline.jpg  

-rides bikes for fun.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Kona single speed 29er on Craigs list right now. $700

I think it is the same guy I have bought Saint brakes, and a handlebar from in Temescal/north Oakland. I kinda wanted to go look at it, but just bought a Niner One 9 to be a winter bike. Of course I now want a winter winter bike. No more bikes for me.

rho
    Life is strange
    I've done the conversion thing before, it works great... But want to go with track drops on this beast. And 29" wheels. Gonna try to talk the wife into ordering something this weekend...

Sent by smoke signal.

Members who have read this thread: 0