The last time this bike will be this clean:- Mtbr.com
    CB2
    Jam Econo

The last time this bike will be this clean:

Just got my old pal Stumpy back from powder-coat. It's so shiny and clean I almost feel guilty about riding it, but I think I'll get over it!

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    NICE
    Gotta love powder coating!
    That thing will never chip again!
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sold a '94 M2 two weeks ago. Have regretted ever since. Nice work, looks good.

mtbr member
    Very Nice! Where did you take it to get it done please? And was the price really good???

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Very Nice! Where did you take it to get it done please? And was the price really good???
    Central Connecticut Coatings.
    The price ok, but not "really good". The frame was $120, and the fork was another $25.
    When they did my Salsa it was $110, but that was matte black so that might have been why it was cheaper.
    I got some decals for it off ebay, but it looks so nice without them I can't bring myself to put them on.

mtbr member
    Nice bike. I gotta question. How do you adjust chain tension? Eccentric rear hub?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The dropouts are not 100% vertical, and I filed the fronts of them about 2mm to make them a Little more "semi-vertical". I have just enough adjustment for the life of a chain in the gear combo I use.

Last edited by CB2; 03-04-2007 at 07:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    The price ok, but not "really good". The frame was $120, and the fork was another $25.
    When they did my Salsa it was $110, but that was matte black so that might have been why it was cheaper.
    I got some decals for it off ebay, but it looks so nice without them I can't bring myself to put them on.
    Can you email me their information?

I want to compare their pricing to a company in Waterbury that does powdercoating. Is there a clearcoat over the powder? Were "fancier" colors more money??

Also, keep me posted on whether or not you've got enough stuff for that order.

Cheers,

Mark

Poorly Disguised Poser

you know?....

Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    It always amazes me how variable powder coating prices are. Some places start at 400 and up charge for "special jobs".

I had mine done recently, and did not ever ask price. I went in and told them the color I wanted and basically said that I want thick, rich color, I want it durable, and I want it to "pop".

The dude sent it out for media blasting (30 bucks at a sub-contractors place), then loaded up my "special" color (he had to order it in for me...since its not a HUGE operation). When it was all done, he did not think it had enough "pop" so he shot a layer of clear over the powder and baked that on. The result was great (other than the guy knew nothing about bikes and got some powder in the BB threads necessitating a thread chase (5 minutes)).

Total charge for Frame and Fork with clear over green....100 bucks. Media blasting 30.

I was pleasantly surprised. Granted, its not on par with something Spectrum might turn out, but I get this dirty, and it stays that way most of the time.

I guess it has a lot to do with the area of the country, and what not. And of course quality is priceless...but sometimes good enough....is.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

Members who have read this thread: 0