largest 29 tire that isnt 29+- Mtbr.com
    Big Boy

largest 29 tire that isnt 29+

not sure where to post this but a lot of ss riders are rigid and rigid riders like volume.

im building a karate monkey and i want a fast high volume tire. not worried too much about grip as im a fair weather rider on buff singletrack. so fast and high volume. something around 2.5 width ish. going on a wheelset with 30mm inside width.

if this doesnt exist i think ill try to fit a chupacabra on a 40mm interior rim. but id like to keep weight down a bit if possible

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

Always in the wrong gear
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 is big
    Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 is way bigger than 2.35
    The New Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.6 is big.

Ive had both the Ardent and Nic, both good tires that were (for me) durable and notably more cush than a 2.3 or many other (small) 2.4's

I liked them both, but they aren't even in the same league as a 3.0 on an i40 rim for plush and neither was especially fast rolling. Not bad, but not "fast".

The only way you're gonna get a chupa in a KM is dropping down to 27.5+ i40 is (IMO) a perfect width for 3.0.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

Big Boy
    there are people that are running 29x3 on the new (2017) karate monkey. ive been researching a lot and originally wanted a krampus but its killimg me that i cant put 2 bottles inside the triangle (i know its nit picking) then once i saw that the new km would fit the chupacabra i started leaning that way.

Always in the wrong gear
    Fair enough. I know a guy with an older KM, it isn't even close to fitting a 3.0, and Surly's site says 29x2.5 max, so I just guessed.
    I personally found that volume was less important on the rear than front on a rigid. I spent a bit of time with a suspension fork that only cleared a 2.6, so I ran a NN2.6 front and a NN 2.6 rear, or an Ardent 2.4 rear. Some rides I went rigid and actually ran a Chronicle front and an Ardent rear for a while. Moving up to a Chronicle rear improved traction, but honestly didn't help the comfort as much as I thought it would. Sue it was there, but paled in comparison to the difference between a 2.4 and 3.0 on the front.

I understand about the bottle thing. My Vassago has two bottle mounts, but the TT is so low, the back cage can only fit a small bottle, and both cages have to be side draw. It's the only thing I don't love about my bike, but I make do because I'm on the fence between Small and Med frame sizes and was able to get the small in Dec, or wait 6 months for a Med.
    I gave up on bottles and just make do with a camelbak.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    A buddy of mine got a set of 2.6 Nobby Nics from some German website that he translated... was seriously wondering how legit it was but they ended up coming in. I am personally not a fan of the NN but he seems to like them, and they fit fine on his Karate Monkey.

One thing I noticed is that they really don't look any bigger than my 2.4 Vittoria Goma. I think for a 2.6 they are pretty low volume.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    most of the bigger "non-plus" tires weigh in about the same as chupacabra or wtb ranger 3.0 tires. In my experience, 29x3.0 is faster and more fun on a rigid bike than any other tire size by a LOT. Those two tires are fast rolling too. Just my .02$

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The fat be nimble isn't anywhere near 29x3 and might work. It rolls okay, but isn't that good if you're heavy and hitting rock gardens.

Maxxis ikon is fast rolling and comes in the larger volume. I think Conti x King does too? Also the maxxis rekon 29x2.6 is supposed to be out this summer.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by khardrunner14 View Post
    most of the bigger "non-plus" tires weigh in about the same as chupacabra or wtb ranger 3.0 tires. In my experience, 29x3.0 is faster and more fun on a rigid bike than any other tire size by a LOT. Those two tires are fast rolling too. Just my .02$
    thats true.

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    The fat be nimble isn't anywhere near 29x3 and might work. It rolls okay, but isn't that good if you're heavy and hitting rock gardens.

Maxxis ikon is fast rolling and comes in the larger volume. I think Conti x King does too? Also the maxxis rekon 29x2.6 is supposed to be out this summer.

i think the rekon in 29x2.6 may be my perfect tire!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    i think the rekon in 29x2.6 may be my perfect tire!

Me too, I hope it's a true 2.6! Also, that it ever hits the market!

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Only real 2.6 tire out now is the Nobby Nic. It's a great all around tire and true to size and weight. I've got 400+ miles on mine.

mtbr member

Can confirm this. I have a buddy running a fat b on the front of his Soma Juice without issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by khardrunner14 View Post
    The Chupacabras seem to be pretty weak when it comes to sharp rocky stuff. Great tire and rolls amazing, but I have a set that looks like a porcupine from so many plugs. I finally killed them with a giant tread hole last weekend.

Same terrain with other tires and I have had no issues. Maybe a small puncture here and there, but I have never destroyed a set of tires like I did the Chupas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    the bigger tires are defintely more succeptibale to damage from really rough terrain. Some of that depends on your weight and riding style though.

WNC Native
    Maxxis has several 2.5-2.6 tires coming this fall. Teravail has two 29x2.6 tires coming and Terrene has the McFly 2.8 that is suppose to be available this month.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Maxxis has several 2.5-2.6 tires coming this fall. Teravail has two 29x2.6 tires coming and Terrene has the McFly 2.8 that is suppose to be available this month.
    Oh yeah, I forgot the teravail option. Those looked interesting. The pictures I've seen I haven't been able to get a good look at the tread, I'm looking forward to some in depth reviews

WNC Native
    Oh yeah, I forgot the teravail option. Those looked interesting. The pictures I've seen I haven't been able to get a good look at the tread, I'm looking forward to some in depth reviews

Teravail Kennebec and Cumberland tires debut - Mtbr.com
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah... a couple marketing paragraphs of info from their site and a display booth photo doesn't count as "in depth" for me

WNC Native
    Yeah... a couple marketing paragraphs of info from their site and a display booth photo doesn't count as "in depth" for me

I linked that because you hadn't seen a good look at the tread. Not because of any of the info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    I linked that because you hadn't seen a good look at the tread. Not because of any of the info.
    Oh, yeah, I can never tell anything from single photos. I always feel like you really need three or four different angles.

Hopefully someone at mtbr gets a chance for some follow up!

mtbr member
    WTB still make the Weirwolf 2.55?

mtbr member
    Personally, I thought the Chupacabra was a little lite on tread. Then after riding a 29x3.0 on the front of my rigid SS for about 600 miles realized it works quite well. I ride lots of rocks and haven't sliced a sidewall yet. Set up on Stand Flow MK3, running tubeless at at 11 psi. Fantastic traction and rolls over anything.

I also have the 27.5 x 2.8 version of the Chupacabra and it handles similarly. Although mounted on i40 rims, the casing is as wide as the knobs. Keep thinking it may slice, but hasn't happened yet.

I believe the WW by WTB is still available. But it fails in comparison to what it was when it was the LT version.

Funny that WTB redesigned that tire when it was perfect as it was. They're probably kicking themselves now that they didn't keep it. Everyone is racing to get a tire to market with that volume now.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    The FBN 3.0 will fit (on a Blunt 35 rim), but it rubbed in hard corners, in my experience.

I currently run an Ikon 2.35, which is still comfortably plump, and the FBN on the front. That's a pretty fast feeling combination:

(I've since lost the drop bars, too much reach)
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

SS in CO
    Specialized will be releasing the Butcher & Control in 29x2.6 from what I heard at my shop the other day. and some WTB guys said that they had some larger offerings coming this year as well.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson44 View Post
    Specialized will be releasing the Butcher & Control in 29x2.6 from what I heard at my shop the other day. and some WTB guys said that they had some larger offerings coming this year as well.

J.
    Great to hear!