mtbr member

Large front tires, whats your poison?

I'm looking to try a really large front tire on my rigid single. I have a Surly fork so clearance is a non-issue. What have you tried with success? I'm thinking Gazzaloddi 3.0 for use on my rougher rides instead of running a suspension fork. Are any of the 2.6/2.7 tires a better choice?

Thanks,

MC

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I run Gazza 3.0 in the front and love it. Really nice flow over the rough tech trails filled with rocks and roots here where I live. I have it on a narrow rim and the profile of the tire gets round and nice which seems to lower the rolling resistance even with lower airpressure in it. No problemo with the wieght either for me, I was suprised when I tested it first that it seemed to make no big difference at all. Been testing my buddys Inbreed with a susfork but really prefer the fat-exakto-knife feeling the Gazza and a stiff fork gives. And as I said I just love the way it just keps rolling over anything in my way.

Nowdays I usally sing for myself when riding: "This Gazza s made for rollin and thats it gone do, this Gazza s made for rollin and its gone roll all over you!"

mtbr member

Kenda Blue Groove

Kenda Blue Groove 2.3 is in front. Largest looking 2.3 I've ever seen. Looks like a 2.5. Great tire!

I am the owl
    I generally use a Motoraptor 2.4 (measures a bit smaller than 2.4) and it's a good compromise between size and weight and provides a good amount of cush on high speed rock riding.

If you want something bigger, I've used the Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 which seems huge compared to the Moto 2.4 but it doesn't weigh a whole lot more. I liked it a lot except it was noticably slower rolling than the Moto (and I don't usually care about that). Overall I'd recommend it and can't see the need to go any larger.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Tires Eh?

I'm currently running WTB weirwolve 2.5's on the tractor @22-24psi and they just rock. Rock gardens, mud, sand, roots, what ever they are really nice. I also have run the Panaracer megablaster 2.5's and they are good as well. I want to get a set of the Fire FR's and see how they are. (The front fork on the Tractor is too narrow to fit anything bigger than a 2.5, and is does rub a bit, but a new Surly fork is in the works)

Rob
    Fermented Apple Juice rules!!!!!! BURRRRPP!!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The Gazzalodi 3.0 is a good choice.

Others to consider:
    • Bontrager Big Earl 2.8
    • WTB TimberWolf 2.7 (DH or Race)
    • Kenda Blue Groove / Nevegal 2.70
    • Syncros BHT 2.7
    • Intense DH EX 2.70
    • Specialized Evil Twin Roller S-Works 2.7
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Wtb 2.7

Hey Shiggy,
    Have you tested the WTB 2.7 Timber wolf yet?

Rob
    Fermented Apple Juice rules!!!!!! BURRRRPP!!

Sofa King We Todd Did
    My two favorites right are the Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 and the IRC Trailbear 2.5. Oddly enough, I feel like the Panaracer is the wider of the two, but the IRC is definitely a taller tire. Both have nice strong sidewalls to allow for lower pressures, and both have tread patterns and compounds to kill for. Sure, a 3.0 tire is nice and meaty, but I find these two tires quite satisfying. The fact that both go for no more than $20 apiece make them extra tasty!

Sofa King We Todd Did
    EDIT: There's an echo in here, apparently!

Quote Originally Posted by The Tractor
    Hey Shiggy,

Rob
    Not yet. I have a hard time getting tires from WTB.

Call/email them that you want to see more of their tires on my site!
    mtbtires.com

Category Winner

Conti Diesel UST 2.5

I can't say enough about it. I have ridden it in every condition I can imagine. It performed on a dry 24 hour race course, and a harrowing descent in the pouring rain down the nastiest DH that Pisgah has to offer. I can run it as low as 15.5-16 psi. It only (did I say only?) weighs @1000 grams and it almost performs as well as my 2.6 Stickee DH @1350 grams. I have already bought my next two Diesels so I don't have a problem finding them quick when I need them.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

SS Pusher Man
    I ran a 2.7 Maxxis Mobster on my Surly for a while. DH sidewall allowed to run lower pressure so I had about 1" of suspension.

mtnbikej

Medium?

Puh-lease!

Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    I generally use a Motoraptor 2.4 ...

If you want something bigger, I've used the Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 which seems huge compared to the Moto 2.4 but it doesn't weigh a whole lot more.
    Don't even mention the moto 2.4 in the same post as the panaracer. It's a slide-master in gravel or anything loose and uses kleenex for sidewalls. It feels like an inner tube under 30 psi. It's an ok winter tire if you pump it up to about 40 and use a suspension fork. It's not a bad spare rear tire either, if it will fit between your chainstays.

The panaracer OTOH has nice grip, and I can run it just over 20 psi. Nice.

As for rolling resistance, you have to pay if you want to play. Performance 1.25 slicks roll pretty well, but do you want to ride them off-road?

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Don't even mention the moto 2.4 in the same post as the panaracer. It's a slide-master in gravel or anything loose and uses kleenex for sidewalls. It feels like an inner tube under 30 psi. It's an ok winter tire if you pump it up to about 40 and use a suspension fork. It's not a bad spare rear tire either, if it will fit between your chainstays.

As for rolling resistance, you have to pay if you want to play. Performance 1.25 slicks roll pretty well, but do you want to ride them off-road?
    Must be a different Moto you are using I have beat the crap out of the sidewalls on the rockiest stuff around, sliding into gaps, dragging them across sharp and pointing stuff and never had a tear. Now the Bontrager ACX 29ers, that's Kleenex. As far as washing out in the loose stuff, no problem with that either. I ride plenty of loose stuff although I rarely ride in gravel. Maybe it's the weight distrobution on your rig.

The Panaracer OTOH doesn't have the nice rounded profile that the Moto does and there is a distinct "break free" point when leaning way over in high speed corners. More than the rolling resistance, this is the characteristic that I wish was better. If that was squared away I would probably ride it more. Like I said earlier, I usually don't care about rolling resistance, but in this case it was worth mentioning since it was a huge increase in any of the tires I normally run.

Then again, for my riding style and terrain there's no way I can run a Panaracer FR at 20 psi or I'm punching the rim. That and the tire is mush in the corners for me at those pressures.

But hey, whatever works for you. It's up to the original poster to digest all of this information and figure out what works for them.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tractor
    Hey Shiggy,

Rob
    I saw one mounted on the front and a 2.5 on the rear of a spot out at BC. They are friggin huge. EDIT: They look promising from a mud shedding point of view too. The bike looked as though it could stand up by itself!
    Last edited by Meat Foot; 07-28-2005 at 02:59 PM. Reason: content
    Tuff Schist

whuh?

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy

What Motos you runnin? WTB makes them in Race, FR, and DH layups. I have the 2.4 DH as a rear on my big bike, and it absolutely rips. That sidewall is about as stiff as they come, it's a freakin' tank!

I run a Weirwolf 2.5 on the front of both my bikes, the race version on the SS and the FR on my Bullit. Very pleased with them in just about any condition, with the exception of their tendency not to clear very well in deep sticky mud (when you shouldn't be riding anyway)

bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Not yet.
    how about the continental vertical 2.3?
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    how about the continental vertical 2.3?
    By far the smallest tire mentioned in this thread. Check the specs...
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Thanks...

For all the responses!

I've ridden some of the tires mentioned. The Motoraptor 2.4, Weirwolf 2.5, Conti Vert, I think all of those are to small, or to wimpy for what I want. I guess I'm looking for something Larger. Has anyone ridden a Kenda BlueGroove or Nevegal in 2.5 versus the Gazzloddi 3.0? I'm looking for a comparison of those two now.

Thanks,

Mc

Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    For all the responses!

I've ridden some of the tires mentioned. The Motoraptor 2.4, Weirwolf 2.5, Conti Vert, I think all of those are to small, or to wimpy for what I want. I guess I'm looking for something Larger. Has anyone ridden a Kenda BlueGroove or Nevegal in 2.5 versus the Gazzloddi 3.0? I'm looking for a comparison of those two now.

Thanks,

Mc
    OOO! OO! OO! OOOOOO!
    I have! I have!

The BG 2.50 is a TIRE.

Gets the job done. Fairly cushy.

The Gazzi 3.0 is a TIRE!

It will make you giggle like an idiot on the trails.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Tire

I'm sure glad that you know there both a "tire"!

Seriously Mr. Shiggy, is the drag/weight difference between the Gazzi and the BG noticable? If not I'm thinking just go big. Of course cost of the Gazzi seems to be in the way alittle bit! $60 for a bike tire just seems a bit much. I'm mounting what ever tire I select on my 717's, is that an issue with such a wide tire?

MC

OOO! OO! OO! OOOOOO!
    I have! I have!

The BG 2.50 is a TIRE.

Gets the job done. Fairly cushy.

The Gazzi 3.0 is a TIRE!

It will make you giggle like an idiot on the trails.

I would not use the G 3.0 on a 717. The Gazzi 2.6 would work.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

So....

would you go Gazzi 2.6 or the BG 2.5 ? I want this for trip rides and rougher terrain. Any reason why to pick one over the other?

I would not use the G 3.0 on a 717. The Gazzi 2.6 would work.

mtbr member
    i did not like Gazzis. thought they were heavy, slow, didn't like the cornering characteristics.

run a 2.5 High Roller now, and love it.

No Justice = No Peace

Mutanoraptor

Doesn't anyone like the Mutano (2.4)? They seem pretty secure on dry loose stuff around nor-cal, and you can get em cheap at CBO.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

bicyclist
    i meant for my use, not as a suggestion for op. i tried your site yesterday but it didn't seem to be working. i will try again.
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

mtbr member

I ride...

a MutanoRaptor 2.4 now. Its a nice tire, fast rolling and good dry traction, it sucks in the wet compared to the Weirwolf. I also think its a pretty wimpy tire for rougher rides. When you see it next to the Gazzi it looks like a tricycle tire. I really want to try a huge tire for my longer, rougher rides.

If you ride the Mutano and then ride a tire with a softer compound you'll also find out its a springy tire, bouncing off stuff rather than complying to it, if that makes sense. My Nevegal with Stick-E rubber is amazingly more supple on rough stuff.

Thanks for the input.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    Doesn't anyone like the Mutano (2.4)? They seem pretty secure on dry loose stuff around nor-cal, and you can get em cheap at CBO.

mtbr member

I liked...

looks of the High Roller too.

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    i did not like Gazzis. thought they were heavy, slow, didn't like the cornering characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred

I do like the Gazzalodi 2.6.

It is heavy, though in a rigid fork less than a sussy fork and lighter tire.

Corners great for me, especially on a narrowish rim (gives it a rounder profile for a less edgy feel).

Slow only if you are racing XC or on long climbs. You can bomb through and over stuff and keep your speed up. Helped me clean short steep techy ups I never made before. Made one uphill log over/lip/rock 3 weeks in a row. Swapped to a big XC tire and blew it as badly I ever had.

Never flatted one. Pinch, thorns, rocks, even at 15 psi on the front. No flats.

Does pretty well in the mud and hardpack.
    mtbtires.com

Get the Gazzi 2.6.

The casing gets more supple with use. The rubber and tread grips well. You will like it.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Thanks...

Shig, the Gazzi 2.6 it is then.

Any choices on the bead, or will a tire like this be wire only? Do I need to run a larger tube, or will the normal 2.2 sized tube work ok?

Thanks for the help.

MC

Get the Gazzi 2.6.

The casing gets more supple with use. The rubber and tread grips well. You will like it.

Shig, the Gazzi 2.6 it is then.

Any choices on the bead, or will a tire like this be wire only? Do I need to run a larger tube, or will the normal 2.2 sized tube work ok?

Thanks for the help.

MC
    Made only in wire bead with the DH casing. The 2.2 tube - standard weight - is fine.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

If only...

If only Nokian made a 2.6 Gazzi Core, or, mother help us, even a 3.0 Core! I have run a 2.3 Core so low that I ring the rims when hitting big roots and logs and never a pinch flat so, to me, that means it is just as tough as the 2.6 and 3.0 (which I have run so low that I ring the rims and also never pinch flatted).

tubes: oddly, the big Nokian DH tube for the 3.0 tire didn't last long (ripped the metal valve right outa the thing) AND it makes the 3.0 feel HEAVY. With a standard tube (2.1ish) it doesn't feel heavy at all. It does take awhile to get used to all the traction you get from such a big footprint.

the gazzi's are LONG wearing tires, I have 2.6 and 3.0 tires with over 3000 miles on them and they are just showing signs of wear compared to a new one. Of course, this only applies to general trail riding, a true DH course wears them much faster.

If you get a 2.6 Gazzi, it may be the last front tire you buy...

bike ON
    bob
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

mtbr member

today's test ride

Thanks to everyone for all the great info.

I borrowed a friends 2.7 High Roller today and rode a trail I know really well. I thought it would be good to test a large tire out before making the financial commitment to buying one! I mounted the 2.7 High Roller to a Mavic 717 rim using a 2.2 sized tube, tire inflated to 23lbs(tried sub 20's but it was rolling alot, probably due to the width of the rim being so minimal for a tire of this size). I had to switch out my Vicious fork for the Surly to get the clearance needed. First impressions....well, grip, tons of grip! I also noticed the rebound feeling of the large tire versus a Mutano Raptor 2.4 or Weirwolf 2.5 was quite different. The Mutano and Weir are very springy when deflecting off a object on the trail, the High roller just seemed to produce a thud and roll smoothly over objects. I rode the tire for about 2 hours on a very fun set of singletrack trails. These trails have alot of different terrain with many fast rolling sections and many twisty downhill sections, often times littered with roots that will stop a rigid bike in its tracks if you don't either bunny hop alittle or at least pull back on the bars to get the wheel up. I found I could corner much harder than normal, and I must say this alone would be a good reason to make the switch. I also seemed to feel less wear on my wrists after the ride. The feel of the tire was easy to like in general, I tried numerous times to get the front of the bike loose to no avail. The final trail I picked tonight is a fun downhill with a few root sections containing mutiple 1' drop offs, tons of quick, somewhat banked turns, and alot of high speed sections. I rode this trail with a new confidence level that made any additional drag well worth it!

So, I'm hooked. Now what tire to pick....Gazzi 2.6, High Roller 2.7 or maybe a BG 2.5?

MC

Quote Originally Posted by red-haze.com
    If only Nokian made a 2.6 Gazzi Core, or, mother help us, even a 3.0 Core! I have run a 2.3 Core so low that I ring the rims when hitting big roots and logs and never a pinch flat so, to me, that means it is just as tough as the 2.6 and 3.0 (which I have run so low that I ring the rims and also never pinch flatted).

tubes: oddly, the big Nokian DH tube for the 3.0 tire didn't last long (ripped the metal valve right outa the thing) AND it makes the 3.0 feel HEAVY. With a standard tube (2.1ish) it doesn't feel heavy at all. It does take awhile to get used to all the traction you get from such a big footprint.

the gazzi's are LONG wearing tires, I have 2.6 and 3.0 tires with over 3000 miles on them and they are just showing signs of wear compared to a new one. Of course, this only applies to general trail riding, a true DH course wears them much faster.

If you get a 2.6 Gazzi, it may be the last front tire you buy...

bike ON
    bob

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    ouch...

I'm going to run Panaracer fire xc's 2.1 on my SS.

...So, I'm hooked. Now what tire to pick....Gazzi 2.6, High Roller 2.7 or maybe a BG 2.5?

MC
    Gazzi 2.6
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

allright!

I'm getting the Gazzi 2.6!

MC

Gazzi 2.6

mtbr member

ouch...

The thought of riding rigid with Fires makes me go ouch...

Seriously, have you tried some other rubber on your Single? I used to love Fires, but find them pretty sub par any more.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    ouch...

I'm going to run Panaracer fire xc's 2.1 on my SS.