Langster or Pista? Your input please...- Mtbr.com
    I like to ride bikes!

Langster or Pista? Your input please...

Just thinkin about a fixie, Langster, Pista or misc throw together. Dont have any extra parts right now for a throw together. What do yall think?

mtbr member

Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by scoutdog
    Just thinkin about a fixie, Langster, Pista or misc throw together. Dont have any extra parts right now for a throw together. What do yall think?
    Racing track? Langster
    Riding the Road? Pista

"Mr. Britannica"

Riding the Road?

Fuji (if out of the box).... more road-like geo. Otherwise get an old frame and do it up. Let your creative juices flow.
    Last edited by roadiegonebad; 03-23-2004 at 08:34 PM.

blame me for missed rides

just a suggestion

kogswell?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

stealth or chrome?

Just look at it...you know you want that stealthy carbon gray and black. I might be tempted to vote Pista just cause it's steel and I'm traditionally a steel guy, but I'm also traditionally a Specialized guy, so I'm torn. If the Pista wasn't chrome...I just HATE chrome, reminds me too much of a BMX bike or a Caddillac. I've not had my Langster a week and I love it. Needed some sizing tweaking out of the box, but it's getting very close. I don't think you can beat it for the price, msrp $440, I got mine for ~ $350ish. Replace the cheesy brakes and it's still a good deal. Better act soon, especially if you want a smaller size, they're going fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

finally, something I know a little about

I vote for converting an old road frame. the deal is if you dig fixed gear riding you're going to grow tired of your lame ass pista or langster. and if you don't dig it, well it'll be hanging from your garage ceiling and it won't matter what kind it is.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutdog

"The Dude abides."
    I've had a pista for a couple months and I love it. The chrome is flashy as someone previously stated, but its not going to chip, not that that should be a huge factor in a bike purchase. The bike rides great though, I ride it as a commuter bike and have only had two minor problems with it. First the headset, at least on mine, is far from perfect it was sticky for a while despite adjusting, but it wore itself in fine and you cant expect too much on a 500 dollar bike. Secondly one of Bianchi's main designers, Sky I believe her name is ( im not sure on the spelling, but I remember her liking my dog), sticks "100% chick design" stickers just above the bottom bracket facing the rear of the bike. The sticker is ridden with a horrifying representation of a mutated she-duck. To be honost, its not hideous, but I don't think anything could rob a fixed gear of the "hard-core" attitude so well. My honost, biased opinion is Pista- there's nothing like pulling ahead of cars from stops, except maybe actually staying in front of them. Did I mention its responsive stearing and nimble acceleration?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    Racing track? Langster
    Riding the Road? Pista
    Actually, it's the other way around.

The Pista (Italian for "track") is the one with track/velodrome geometry.

And the Langster has the road bike geometry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MBzip
    ...First the headset, at least on mine, is far from perfect it was sticky for a while despite adjusting...
    True. The 05 Pistas have a mediocre headset too. Mine is only 1 month old and the headset is already sticky.

I like the chrome. It's so old school looking and reminds me of my BMX daze.

Jed Peters
    They are both cheap utilty bikes. Get the one that's cheapest/most accessable to you.

We got a pista. It was in the local shop and the wife's team's sponsor didn't have any of her size in stock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

how come no milwaukee ??

s-dog.

how come the Milw Bike Co. isn't on the list, my man? same price, but better riding than the langster, and domestic production vs taiwan for the piste.

make the run down to ben's cycle and check one out !!

orange is the new pink.

I like to ride bikes!

Look at the date of the original post???

This is a thread that I started way back in the day??? It just came back to life??? Since the origial post I built a trash can fixie out of and old french road bike. If I were still in the market the Milwaukee is hands down the way to go. Who knows I still might get one!!!

Bill

rejected
    Quote Originally Posted by mon t
    s-dog.

how come the Milw Bike Co. isn't on the list, my man? same price, but better riding than the langster, and domestic production vs taiwan for the piste.

make the run down to ben's cycle and check one out !!

orange is the new pink.
    Milwauke's are like 1K complete. With a better parts spec, i might add...

rejected
    don't get a langster. Just yesterday I punched a guy in the face on a langster. Not because he was on a langster but because he was a jerk. Langsters suck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

more like . . .

. . . . . 750.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ahhhhhhhh

i see. i was confused there, for a sec ( lifetime . . . . . . . . ).

anywaz, on that ben's run, a fellow ought to hit greenbush for a few rollicking loops on the skiis on the way, no? close to as good as it gets, greenbush, all the moreso on yer way home or to the beer city for new orange fixie !! lemme know !

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Good job! Can you Help

Quote Originally Posted by TACSTS
    Just look at it...you know you want that stealthy carbon gray and black. I might be tempted to vote Pista just cause it's steel and I'm traditionally a steel guy, but I'm also traditionally a Specialized guy, so I'm torn. If the Pista wasn't chrome...I just HATE chrome, reminds me too much of a BMX bike or a Caddillac. I've not had my Langster a week and I love it. Needed some sizing tweaking out of the box, but it's getting very close. I don't think you can beat it for the price, msrp $440, I got mine for ~ $350ish. Replace the cheesy brakes and it's still a good deal. Better act soon, especially if you want a smaller size, they're going fast.
    What size is your langster? What size stem does it have?

And where do you get one for $350?

Sweet ride looks better in your photos than press pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the nice comments about my Langster! I purchased it in March or April of 04 at the same time my girlfriend was getting an Allez Sport in the same color from Bardstown Road Bicycles in Louisville, KY. They were offering 15% off MSRP for all special orders. 15% off of msrp of $440 was $374, but since we were ordering two bikes at once we got a little more off the deal and it ended up being around $350. My bike is a 62cm and the stem that was in that picture was the stock stem at 130mm. It was a little long for my tastes so I upgraded it to a Syntace Megaforce 260 120mm from Performance not too long ago. Also put on a Syncros post and Selle Italia Mythos saddle. The stock post was horrible to hold an adjustment and weighed around 300grams. The stock saddle was BRUTAL, and the verdicts still out on the mythos too, although I do like the way it looks . Soon to be upgraded is the bar to a Titec Malone with a traditional bend. I know it sounds like I've upgraded a lot of of the bike, but I really like it and when I'm really into my bikes I like to "customize" them a bit. I took a shot for you of the bike today as it is now. If you're interested in one, I say go for it, it's a great fun/dollar ratio bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for the info and I can appreciate the modifications to the specs.

I wonder does anyone know where I can purchase on the interweb?

Specialized UK are not bringing them into the UK and If they did the price would be about 1000 bucks!!

Apparently US dealers are only allowed to sell from the shop.

All help appreciated

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As far as I know Specialized won't allow dealers to sell over the phone or over the internet. The best bet you'd have for finding one would be to check classifieds on here and at roadbikereview.com or on eBay. Good luck!