LA Area Cogs - How Many Teeth?- Mtbr.com

Poll: Cogs Size

cMc
    since 1973
    32:18 or 34:20.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

... and if we just ... LA Area Cogs - How Many Teeth?

For those SSers out there in the LA area, what sized cog are you running? I ride mostly in the Angeles, Sunset FR to Inspiration Point, Merrills, Chantry area, Strawberry Peak. All pretty steep climbs.

I currently am running a 2x1 set up with a 22x32 front and a 17 rear. The 17 is a bit too small for me. I'm looking at a 19 or 20 and want to see what others are running.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i'm a beginner, so 36:22 or 36:20

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by cMc
    32:18 or 34:20.
    What he said.... when I was living there, that is. Come to think of it I am still running those combos
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    I'm riding most of those same trails. Running 34/18 at the moment. It's slightly tall, but works well for Strawberry Peak, La Tuna Canyon, El Prieto, etc. I rode up Mt. Lowe road to Inspiration Point and beyond about a month ago. The paved part was a killer, but I managed to make it without stopping.

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    For those SSers out there in the LA area, what sized cog are you running? I ride mostly in the Angeles, Sunset FR to Inspiration Point, Merrills, Chantry area, Strawberry Peak. All pretty steep climbs.

I currently am running a 2x1 set up with a 22x32 front and a 17 rear. The 17 is a bit too small for me. I'm looking at a 19 or 20 and want to see what others are running.
    I ride the same trails as well and run 34:20.

American Made!
    Not quite the LA area but here in Riverside/Orange county 32x16 is my smallest- Fullerton Loop -
    I just moved from the flatlands where I ran a 36x15 at Cheq fattire festival last fall and 36x18 everywhere else.
    There are a few more "hills" here. I am thinking of putting my 34t back on the front.
    Skyline/Blackstar canyon were pretty long climbs when I first got here so I used a 20t a couple times and felt better, now back on the 18t.

Members who have read this thread: 0