Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Krampus Singlespeed

Who's got one and has some feedback? Good? Bad? Meh? I'm considering building one. Any info would be helpful.

mtbr member
    I have a feeling Sasquatch will have one a few months after he sells his 1x1

I don't see how it could be bad, people seem to have plenty of fun with fully fat SS bikes and regular 29ers. I'm hoping to go the poor mans route and get a knard to put on an old flow wheel I have sitting around this winter.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I have a feeling Sasquatch will have one a few months after he sells his 1x1

I don't see how it could be bad, people seem to have plenty of fun with fully fat SS bikes and regular 29ers. I'm hoping to go the poor mans route and get a knard to put on an old flow wheel I have sitting around this winter.
    Yeah, same here. I have a Knard on order for the front of my current SS to check it out. But, I have a feeling a SS Krampus will be on the wish list this winter!

mtbr member
    off topic but I am really thinking about a knard on the karate monkey. I am already running P35's so just need to decide if I want to spend 120 on a tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Krampus Singlespeed

Subscribed

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_oma#692 View Post
    off topic but I am really thinking about a knard on the karate monkey. I am already running P35's so just need to decide if I want to spend 120 on a tire.
    Others have posted info about running a front Knard. By all accounts, it's killer! I will post up after I have some time on mine. That said, I think it'll be a slippery slope toward wanting a Krampus with 29+ front and rear.....sort of like my experimental 69er was 5 years go with moving to a 29er. .

mtbr member
    like!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    They Dirt Wizard will also be available in 29x2.75, likely by next Spring. If you like riding SS and are good at it, a Krampus may be just the ticket. SS is about momentum and them big heavy tires are going to rooooollllll.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    They Dirt Wizard will also be available in 29x2.75, likely by next Spring. If you like riding SS and are good at it, a Krampus may be just the ticket. SS is about momentum and them big heavy tires are going to rooooollllll.
    I don't know anything about this "Dirt Wizard".......spill the beans!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    I don't know anything about this "Dirt Wizard".......spill the beans!
    Internet isn't too hard.

Guitar Ted Productions

I'm very interested in the Dirt Wiz. Knard has been awesome. Can't imagine what a tire that size would feel like with actual mtb tread.

mtbr member
    Can't wait to try dirt wiz in 29.
    Last edited by thickfog; 08-22-2013 at 11:37 PM.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My Krampus is single speed, love it. Dont notice the weight. Tyres are set tubeless and run at around 10 psi. When the trails are wet the front lets go fast, the new Dirt Wizard will be a must. What we have noticed is how fast the Krampus rolls - FAST

Krampus Singlespeed-6sfk.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Internet isn't too hard.

Guitar Ted Productions

I'm very interested in the Dirt Wiz. Knard has been awesome. Can't imagine what a tire that size would feel like with actual mtb tread.
    Thanks.......

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Killer bike! Where do you ride that beast? I cannot wait to build one over the winter for my local New England singletrack. Mine will probably sport a P35 wheelset as I already have them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Killer bike! Where do you ride that beast? I cannot wait to build one over the winter for my local New England singletrack. Mine will probably sport a P35 wheelset as I already have them.
    Cheers budy, Im in the UK. Very sure you will love the bike just consider the Dirt Wizard tyre when available.

mtbr member

Krampus Singlespeed

Here's mine. 25lbs of big boned, tubeless, SS awesomeness... Loving it on the rocky, shelfy, Austin TX trails.Krampus Singlespeed-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376770843.817713.jpgKrampus Singlespeed-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376770885.464821.jpg

Don't be afraid to roll this bike SS!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Now THAT'S a sweet ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    CCSS thats a great build you have there. Are they Carver forks? What is clearence like between the legs?

mtbr member

Krampus Singlespeed

Thank you, pulsepro!

Steve5s, it is the Carver "old style" carbon fork. I took some pix for you after today's ride.Krampus Singlespeed-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376864933.590205.jpgKrampus Singlespeed-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376864953.155650.jpg

It's hard to measure, but looks to be about 1/4 inch on each side. About 250 miles so far and no problems with clearance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Very nice setup indeed I just have to have reasonable mud clearance for our typical UK riding. That said we have had a great summer and the knards have been great.

Witty McWitterson
    I got one. An XL i just rode at the SSUSA event in MN.

I like it. A lot.

Just a regular guy.

mtbr member

Krampus Singlespeed

Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~ View Post
    I got one. An XL i just rode at the SSUSA event in MN.
    Jealous! I want to do SSUSA some day... Were you the only Krampus ss rider?

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    My Krampus SS

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    Here's mine. 25lbs of big boned, tubeless, SS awesomeness... Loving it on the rocky, shelfy, Austin TX trails.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376770843.817713.jpg 
Views:	3249 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	824585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376770885.464821.jpg 
Views:	1320 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	824586

Don't be afraid to roll this bike SS!
    Is that a Ti bar? Can I ask which one and what you think of it? Wasn't sure the 31.8 would put them into the stiff category. Are they similar to a 25.4 alu bar or softer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve5S View Post
    What we have noticed is how fast the Krampus rolls - FAST
    There is a lot of truth to this statement! My Krampus absolutely rips, I may have to try SS on it sometime.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I appreciate that single speed bikes may not always be suitable for everybody but I do highly recommend owner try it with the Krampus - its great

Witty McWitterson
    Jealous! I want to do SSUSA some day... Were you the only Krampus ss rider?
    good lord, no. There were at least a dozen Krampai out there. This is the land of Surly afterall. If SSUSA is ever with an eight to ten hour drive, do it. Its worth it.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm in Western Massachusetts and did SSUSA in VT last year. Holy shit it was fun! I may very well still be hung over from the Old English 40's!

PSYCHOLUST
    Krampus Singlespeed-krampus-002.jpgHaving loved singlespeeds since my first ride on one and becoming a 29er addict overnight I somehow knew that a singlespeed 29+ was for me.
    I built my KRAMPUS back in April and have ridden it almost exclusively since.
    I had been riding a 19 pound NINER ONE9 with 34/18 gearing, so I built my KRAMPUS with 35/19 figuring the larger tire circumferance on the KNARD would leave me with pretty much equil gear inches.
    At 26.8 pounds it's NOT LIGHT and my NINER is still my 'race bike' but the KRAMPUS is so much FUN to ride that it's my 'go to' bike.

I'd say that anyone who enjoys the purity and simplicity of single speed riding and who immediately loved the way a 29er soaks up roots and rocks and rails corners definately owes it to themselves to experience what an even taller tire with 8 or 9 psi can do.

Just remember to wave and smile everytime some jackass yells
    " Hey what are you doing riding that thing in the summer?"
    Last edited by scyule; 08-24-2013 at 06:02 AM. Reason: add photo

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I ordered a Krampus framest, 120 TPI tires and a headset from the LBS today. I already have a P35 wheelset, so that's what I'll be using. Going to be a SS. I usually ride a 32x21 on my western Mass trails. Given the larger wheel diameter, I'll probably go 32x22 for now.

Any info to share regarding SS gearing between your 29er and Krampus?

mtbr member
    Has anybody tried the Krampus as fixed gear? The only thing holding me back is not having a proper wheel to do so. I'd probably run my bike as fixed before SS if I had the wheel.

mtbr member

Krampus Singlespeed

Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    Is that a Ti bar? Can I ask which one and what you think of it? Wasn't sure the 31.8 would put them into the stiff category. Are they similar to a 25.4 alu bar or softer?
    Finch2, sorry for the lag in response. It's a Carver Prybar, and in 25 years of mountain biking, it's the first ti bar I've owned. I've run all carbon for the last 15 years, and I really don't feel too much difference. The Prybar is wide, comfy and not too flexy -- better than the 25.4 aluminum bars I used to run.

Here's a short thread... http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...ar-848260.html

mtbr member

Krampus Singlespeed

...Given the larger wheel diameter, I'll probably go 32x22 for now.

Any info to share regarding SS gearing between your 29er and Krampus?
    pulsepro -- congrats on your order! I'm running a "slightly" easier ratio on my Krampus vs my regular 29er SS (32x20 vs 34x21). Many of our trails are pretty techy with almost constant up/down, and this gearing works well. I definitely notice the difference getting the bigger wheels accelerating from a stop -- especially when trying to start mid-technical-climb -- but overall the difference is nowhere near as pronounced as I expected. Enjoy.

mtbr member

Krampus Singlespeed

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Has anybody tried the Krampus as fixed gear? The only thing holding me back is not having a proper wheel to do so. I'd probably run my bike as fixed before SS if I had the wheel.
    Who needs a proper back wheel? Just get one of the bolt on cogs (like this: http://thebikesmiths.com/store/product/origin8-18007/), flip the wheel, take off your back brake and start skidding and track-standing your way through the woods!

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Thanks CCSS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Update: I've had my Krampus for nearly 2 weeks now. It's SS with a P35 wheelset on Hope Pro2 EVO SS hubs. This bike is incredible! The down hill speed and rolling prowess is almost scary. Surly is onto something here!

Teen Wolf
    i think if i needed a new ride, it would be a krampus setup ss.

meh... whatever
    Who needs a proper back wheel? Just get one of the bolt on cogs (like this: Origin8 Ultim8 Single Speed Cassette 20t Cog or 6-bolt Disc Brake Mount Cog), flip the wheel, take off your back brake and start skidding and track-standing your way through the woods!
    just to throw another option out there, the tomicog is a MUCH more robust product. i have one of the first ones produced and it's still going strong after many, many thousands of miles of abuse. conversely, i tend to make short order of those stamped steel cogs.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

meh... whatever
    in the process of building a krampus now, and being a primarily ss/fg rider have been in quite the quandary of whether to build it ss or geared.

decided to build a geared wheel and use avid matchmakers and full length der housing so i could swap between 1x10, ss, or fg within a matter of minutes.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Who needs a proper back wheel? Just get one of the bolt on cogs (like this: Origin8 Ultim8 Single Speed Cassette 20t Cog or 6-bolt Disc Brake Mount Cog), flip the wheel, take off your back brake and start skidding and track-standing your way through the woods!
    I have Shimano Centerlock hubs, otherwise I'd get a bolt-on cog. I used to ride fixed gear offroad and rode with a bolt-on cog. I'm actually expecting my rim and hub to arrive tomorrow so I can build up my fixed gear Rabbit Hole rear wheel

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    in the process of building a krampus now, and being a primarily ss/fg rider have been in quite the quandary of whether to build it ss or geared.

decided to build a geared wheel and use avid matchmakers and full length der housing so i could swap between 1x10, ss, or fg within a matter of minutes.
    No shame in going geared. Just have the mods redo your SN to "monogoddess."

mtbr member
    No shame in going geared. Just have the mods redo your SN to "monogoddess."

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Haha LOL

mtbr member
    For all of you who build Krampus from frame or know headset fitting craft - I am clueless when it comes to headsets and usually just order FSA Orbit MX. Now Krampus requires another headset size and I was thinking about this one - FSA Orbit Z Headset
    Do you guys think it will fit?

SCRUBDUNKER
    no, that's too big. that's for a 50mm headtube. krampus is 44mm. you want something like a chris king inset 7 with the right race for your fork (1 1/8 or 1 1/2)

mtbr member
    Btw, finally ordered the frame - bike outfitters indy (with 15% discount as a first time buyer). They should have my frame on Mon and I am hoping to get it week of Dec 2 or beginning of week of dec 9.
    I have everything else except headset and rabbit holes/3 inch tires yet - will be using everything from one of my monkeys for now, including regular 29er rims and ardents 29x2.4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    no, that's too big. that's for a 50mm headtube. krampus is 44mm. you want something like a chris king inset 7 with the right race for your fork (1 1/8 or 1 1/2)
    But that's 50mm OD so I assume for internal diameter of 44, right?

mtbr member
    And I will be using stock fork so 1 1/8 race

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey mongol, sorry to break it to you, but you missed out on an extra 10%. See if you can cancel the order and then reorder it and use cyber25. 25% off through Tuesday. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Hey mongol, sorry to break it to you, but you missed out on an extra 10%. See if you can cancel the order and then reorder it and use cyber25. 25% off through Tuesday. Good luck.
    Damn! It's OK though - I am just happy I am getting it at the price I am getting it (comes out to around 730 shipped). MSRP here is 995+ tax (~13%) and none of my LBS has them in stock and none will budge on the price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Try to see if you can cancel the order. Call them up. They're usually cool about it.

mtbr member
    I put the order via the phone (online was not working for me) and they made exception for me as 15% code is usually good online only. And then none of my cards would go through (not only with them but with several other retailers from US). Long story short - they've been great so far, trying to get my order through (Dana from the shop was literary on it the whole day) and I don't mind supporting good business. I am sure karma will come around and I'll save on something else. And thank you - I appreciate you trying to help.

mtbr member
    Try to see if you can cancel the order. Call them up. They're usually cool about it.
    phsycle - I love you man! Turned out my order still did not go through so had to place it again. Cards weren't going through and my paypal needs to get verified. So I asked missus if she can check out with her paypal and bingo - code worked, check out worked!

Thanks! I now have left over change for cog and couple of small things to finish another project!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sweet. Glad it worked out for you. They're good people there, so they should earn your business on ordering up whatever else you need. Dana helped me quite a bit in the past as well. I wanted to change a color on a frame I had ordered, but it had already shipped to their store and was about to be shipped to me. Told her that was ok and I will just take the frame, but she insisted on getting me the color I wanted. Top notch service.

I'm having a hard time trying not to order up yet, another frameset from those guys right now. Do I really need a 1x1, Steamroller and/or a Disc Trucker??

mtbr member
    Do I really need a 1x1, Steamroller and/or a Disc Trucker??
    yes, yes and yes I have two 1x1, two KMs, two Moonies, Krampus is now coming.
    And I still want Steamroller and Straggler, possibly ECR and new Instigator. Surly website is evil as it makes me want one of each!

mtbr member
    OK, everywhere I read - this puppy FSA Orbit Z Headset supposed to fit 50OD and 44ID headtubes. So I ordered it. Hopefully will get the frame and headset within next couple of weeks and report back.

mtbr member
    Frame is on the way, ready to order rim (Rabbit Hole) and spokes for the rear wheel. Couple of questions:
    - I want spokes to match stock surly front wheel. Their site just says DT spokes. Which ones should I get?
    - Hub flange diameter - I have Surly Ultra new fixed/disc and in their information hole I don't see measurements for fixed/disc, only freewheel/disc Spews | The Information Hole | Surly Bikes
    - Which spoke calculator to use? This one looks OK Spoke Length Calculator but I am total noob in it and it will be my first wheel build.
    - Tension meter tool - thinking about Park Tool TM-1, thoughts?

I have bought master building DVD, etc and will certainly educate myself before build, decide on pattern (opinions are welcome), etc but just want to get parts order out of the way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    ...I have Surly Ultra new fixed/disc ... but just want to get parts order out of the way
    I've got the rim and spokes you need, and you have the hub I need. Fight ya for it? Winner gets to build the wheel?

mtbr member
    I've got the rim and spokes you need, and you have the hub I need. Fight ya for it? Winner gets to build the wheel?
    Haha - irony! I am actually close to chicken out and just order complete SS wheel from universal, they have them in stock. Run with WI freewheel for now and rebuild with fixed hub later or I can always use ISO disc cog. My intention was to run Krampus SS anyway with option to go fixed (I just don't have enough SS bikes - only 1x1 is SS and all other bikes are FG)

mtbr member
    Haha - irony! I am actually close to chicken out and just order complete SS wheel from universal, they have them in stock. Run with WI freewheel for now and rebuild with fixed hub later or I can always use ISO disc cog. My intention was to run Krampus SS anyway with option to go fixed (I just don't have enough SS bikes - only 1x1 is SS and all other bikes are FG)
    Or you could just send me the fixed hub

mtbr member
    You know what - it does make sense and will put my Krampus on the road fastest :-)
    I'll send you PM in a sec

mtbr member
    Well guys and gals - nevermind my question, I chickened out from building FG hub wheel and ordered SS. Everything is in the mail or my garage, only missing front wheel (sold out everywhere I looked). Can't wait to start the build!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Or you could just send me the fixed hub
    You know what - it does make sense and will put my Krampus on the road fastest :-)
    I'll send you PM in a sec

mtbr member
    Well, almost - not giving it away for free :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    Hey folks, this headset works - FSA Orbit Z Headset
    It is for 44MM ID head tube, just installed it - fits like a glove.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey folks, this headset works - FSA Orbit Z Headset
    It is for 44MM ID head tube, just installed it - fits like a glove.
    It fits, but because it's a zero stack, it steepens the head angle a bit. A bit of a personal preference I supose. I had a zero stack Cane Creek on mine and swapped it out for an external cup on the bottom. I prefer the slacker head angle.

mtbr member
    To be totally honest I got it cause I like the look of zero stack on Krampus frame.
    Plus it had white cap and was cheap :-)
    I don't think a bit steeper angle will affect me much. For highly technical DH guy - may be. Will see how it rides when the rest of the parts show up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    To be totally honest I got it cause I like the look of zero stack on Krampus frame.
    Plus it had white cap and was cheap :-)
    I don't think a bit steeper angle will affect me much. For highly technical DH guy - may be. Will see how it rides when the rest of the parts show up.
    With the Krampus already a slack-ish bike, you probably won't notice anything negative. Enjoy your sick bike! I've been absolutely loving mine. It's the most fun I can recall having on a bike since I first started riding in the mid 1990's.

mtbr member
    With the Krampus already a slack-ish bike, you probably won't notice anything negative. Enjoy your sick bike! I've been absolutely loving mine. It's the most fun I can recall having on a bike since I first started riding in the mid 1990's.
    Wait for parts is killing me (one of the orders which has tires in it delayed because they only have one white rim strip in stock :-() but having my Moonie helps to cope :-)
    From everything I heard about Krampus - should be perfect middle ground between my Moonie and my other rides like KMs and 1x1

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

SS Krampus

Recently converted to SS and Toobless, will never go back. Weight down pure enjoyment up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Pretty sure I'm building a SS krampus. I need some gearing suggestions. I run a 32/18 on my single speed 29ers.
    I don't do drugs. I am drugs.

mtbr member

Krampus Singlespeed

Ridefat1981, my regular 29er SS is 34x21 and my Krampus is set up 32x20. You'll feel the bigger diameter, heavier tire, but not as much as you'd think. Momentum is your friend. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Just ordered my tugnut and spacers last night! I'm going to give 30x20 a try Normally run 32x20 on my Nimble 9

mtbr member
    I posted this in the 29er forum, but if anyone is need of a nice 29+ singlespeed wheelset, I have a set for sale. Link to classified add here:

29+ plus SS wheelset: Jones rims & Hope hubs - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

They are actually on Ebay now, ending soon, as I didn't get any responses on MTBR.

steel is real
    I'm bringing this back to the top because I'm building up a SS krampus this week... so, let's update this thread and see all the new SS krampus builds!
    ride dirt.

That's REEAAALLLL Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by xmlc216x View Post
    I'm bringing this back to the top because I'm building up a SS krampus this week... so, let's update this thread and see all the new SS krampus builds!
    My new Krampus SS. Currently running Flow EX rims, but plan to build up another wheelset in the future, with WTB's Scraper rim. I love this bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krampus Singlespeed-wp_20150619_003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Has anybody played with chainring/cog combos in order minimize the effective chainstay length by slamming the wheel forward in the dropouts as far as possible? I'd like to build up a SS krampus but want to be able to take full advantage of those short chainstays.

mtbr member

32/22 - pretty much slammed
    Don't believe everything you think

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I went to the LBS today and rode a Krampus....loved it...BUT there are NO large frames left. I guess a new color is coming...anyone know what the color will be and when it will be?

I am leaning toward a new Ops, rigid singlespeed, I figure to start with the stock fork, add XT cranks and brakes, CK headset and hubs. The LBS recommends Rabbit Holes as light, reliable, and strong rims....I'd be curious as to recommedations for other rims and for tires.

Also how large a chainring is anyone running?

Last are folks moving to a smaller gear than on their regular 29?
    Last edited by Fuzzydog; 08-02-2015 at 03:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I setup mine with 1 extra tooth in back than a regular 29er. I'm also running an oval front ring and love the setup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I setup mine with 1 extra tooth in back than a regular 29er. I'm also running an oval front ring and love the setup.
    What were you running up front...I am currently 38x 19...works for me with the 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzydog View Post
    What were you running up front...I am currently 38x 19...works for me with the 29er.
    That's tall. I'm running a 32 up front - but it's oval, so it changes during the stroke.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah it is tall but I don't have enough climbing or really technical stuff to need a bigger gear...one climb I walk the last 75 feet about half the time...good test....I suspect I will roll it easy with fatter tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You'll likely make technical climbs on the fat tires you never could on regular tires. You may need to gear done a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yep I am confident of that...I hate putting my bike in the car so ride from home and spend considerable time on gravel roads hence my favoring a bigger gear....works for my situation and I accept the limitations it imposes.... single speed is about informed compromise and thighs of steel...or limp pasta in my case.

mtbr member
    I'm bringing this thread back!

Currently in the process of building up a Krampus SS. I also own a Trek Stache 5 but prefer the ride of steel. The Stache will be going to a new home, so the Krampus SS will be my go to SS.

Still waiting on a few parts but hope to get it built by the end of the month.

In progress:

Sent from my Samsung Tablet

mtbr member
    I'm curious why you think you would like the Krampus over the Stache? I rode both and ended up with the Stache 5 (converted to SS obviously). The Stache geo was way more playful than the Krampus, and about 20x lighter.

Not saying you're wrong, i'm just curious what your logic is? Is it just the steel vs aluminum factor?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DualRollers View Post
    I'm curious why you think you would like the Krampus over the Stache? I rode both and ended up with the Stache 5 (converted to SS obviously). The Stache geo was way more playful than the Krampus, and about 20x lighter.

Not saying you're wrong, i'm just curious what your logic is? Is it just the steel vs aluminum factor?
    Pretty much the steel factor for the most part.

I also don't like the rear dropouts on the Stache since they keep skipping, the boost hubs setup which is odd sizing, and the weird bottom bracket. All this plus at 215lbs, I just don't have confidence in the aluminum frame and carbon fork to let me enjoy the ride(s).

I've never cracked a aluminum frame, ever. I just may be getting a little more concerned in my older age. I also very much prefer the ride of steel, despite the weight penalty. Hopefully the extra weight will make me a stronger rider?

Sent from my Samsung Tablet

mtbr member
    A little update.

Just about have everything setup. Just waiting on the chain ring and I can put the chain on. I currently have the BB7'S installed but decided to install the new XT hydraulics I had on the shelf.

Here is how she sits right now. Hopefully it'll be done by the end of the week!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by floorguy724 View Post
    A little update.

Just about have everything setup. Just waiting on the chain ring and I can put the chain on. I currently had the BB7'S installed but decided to install the new XT hydraulics I had on the shelf.

Here is how she sits right now. Hopefully it'll be done by the end of the week!

Wow, those silver seatpost/stem/bars look astounding with that frame. Good stuff.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Another update:

I was able to get the chain, chain ring, and XT hydraulic brakes installed. Now just have to install my pedals and I'm good to go!

I'll hopefully get a chance to ride it tomorrow depending on work. Worst case scenario, Sunday.

Here are the finished pics minus pedals. Weight without pedals came in at 24.98 lbs. on the bike shop scale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Lookin sweeet, nice weight. Mind doing a full build list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haste11 View Post
    Lookin sweeet, nice weight. Mind doing a full build list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sure. Just have to find a template....

mtbr member
    Here is the build list. I honestly wasn't shooting for weight. I just wanted the parts I wanted based on want/strength, lightweight was just a bonus. I'm very happy with the weight.

Frame: Surly Krampus 18" 4130 CroMo
    Fork: Surly Krampus CroMo
    Headset: Chris King
    Rims: Nextie 40mm Carbon 3k matte
    Hubs: Hope Pro 2 silver
    Spokes: Sapim Silver
    Tires: Chupacabra 29x3" set up tubeless
    Brakes: Shimano XT hydraulic
    Rotors: Generic lightweight 160mm F/R
    Handlebar: Thomson 730mm Ti flat bar
    Stem: Thomson 31.8 70mm X4
    Saddle: WTB Pure V
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite 330mm
    Cranks: ENO 175mm with 32t chain ring
    BottomBracket: Shimano UN-54
    Chain: KMC hollow gold 10 speed
    Cog: Wolf tooth 18t
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Eggbeater 1
    Grips: ESI chunky

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Adding to the fun. My SS Krampus! Blast on the trails. Can tackle just about anything in the trail realm, just need to still tackle a proper AM ride with it!

Reba boost up front
    WTB I35 rims
    Maxxis Chronicle 3.0 front
    Maxxis Ikon 2.35 rear
    34X21 gearing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krampus Singlespeed-krampusss.jpg  

MaxTheCyclist.com
    The black Krampus is so cool looking. Nice bike. Nice tires, too- I have those on my Pugsley and I love them.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Subscribed! I'm thinking about a SS 29+ and the Krampus is high on the list. I have several other Surly's and think it's a great company. So……….don't tell the wife!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    They are on super duper closeout to order in lot your LBS. Limited sizes tho.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Stans Hugo 52, Hope evo 4, Chupacabras
    TRP Spyke 180/160
    Brooks Cambium
    36/21

mtbr member
    If anyone is checking this thread, any suggestions on gearing for a SS Surly Krampus? This bike is intended for moderate trails in Colorado with about 1000-1500 feet of mostly smooth climbing. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast