Kore Chain Reactor...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Kore Chain Reactor...

Is there a trick to use this. I bought one about a year ago for $5. My singulator bit the dust this weekend (I think; I can no longer torque down the bolt tight enough to hold the chain guide in place, but hopefully Surly will warrenty it). I tried installing the Chain Reactor, which didn't come with instructions. The Kore web site was pretty useless; I followed as best I could but after I had it--I thought--installed, my chain would rub against the spring. Anybody have any tricks/suggestions, or is the Chain Reactor a bad choice for a tensioner? BTW, my chain stay is not straight, but has a S curve in it.

The man who fell to earth

Reactor is trash...

I had one of these a few years back. It was a complete failure for me. I ride in a lot of mud and its unsealed roller always got a lot of dirt and grit in it, causing it to seize up halfway through the ride. Plus it only had a bushing instead of a bearing, so it never rolled that easy anyway. Since it needed to be cleaned after every ride, you had to disassemble it and then it was a pain to get back together again due to its spring mechanism and small washers.

Bottom line is that the "reactor" is a poorly thought out and designed bicycle tensioner. Its just a cheapo, scaled down copy cat version of an old dirt bike chain tensioner. If you need a way to keep your chain tight, try a convert or an old derailleur. (or maybe even that captive chainring thing..check out the FAQ, its looks really cool)

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Is there a trick to use this. I bought one about a year ago for $5. My singulator bit the dust this weekend (I think; I can no longer torque down the bolt tight enough to hold the chain guide in place, but hopefully Surly will warrenty it). I tried installing the Chain Reactor, which didn't come with instructions. The Kore web site was pretty useless; I followed as best I could but after I had it--I thought--installed, my chain would rub against the spring. Anybody have any tricks/suggestions, or is the Chain Reactor a bad choice for a tensioner? BTW, my chain stay is not straight, but has a S curve in it.