Kona Unit vs. Monocog Flight...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Kona Unit vs. Monocog Flight...

Leaning toward the Unit but looking for any and all input...Thanks

Leg Shaver
    BB5 vs BB7
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

mtbr member
    I have not ridden the Redline, but I bought a 2009 Unit a while back and have been happy with it. The BB5's work fine and are easy to adjust. I have had BB7's and definitely would not base a decision based on those two brakes.

The only things I don't like about it are nit-picky, easily fixed, and personal preference. I changed the stem for a shorter one, replaced the straight seat post for one with some set-back, and I think a little softer handlebar might be nice.

What do I like? The frame has a nice balance of springy steel feel vs. decent rigidity, the fork has a little give, the tires are nice, I like the cassette style rear hub (vs. a thread-on free wheel), the sliding dropouts are nice and the jack-screws are effective, the cranks are decent, the BB5's surprised me with how nicely they work, and finally, I like the paint and graphics. So far I am pleased with my choice, and I doubt that will change.

mtbr member
    I have not ridden the Redline, but I bought a 2009 Unit a while back and have been happy with it
    What size do you have? You inseam? How tall? I am 5`7 with a 30" inseam. Thinking about a unit. Can not decide on size. Has any tested the small.
    Tommy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tominpinson
    What size do you have? You inseam? How tall? I am 5`7 with a 30" inseam. Thinking about a unit. Can not decide on size. Has any tested the small.
    Tommy

I'm 6' with a 34" inseam and was thinking a 19" was the right size for me. I currently ride a Cannondale Rush size L....Anybody about my same size on a Unit currently???What size your riding???

mtbr member
    I'm also 6'0 with a 34 inseam and I just got a 19'' Unit frame. The 19'' Unit is slightly smaller than the 18.5 Niner I have now and I think it will be perfect. I don't have it built up yet but I'm looking forward to riding it in January.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney
    I'm also 6'0 with a 34 inseam and I just got a 19'' Unit frame. The 19'' Unit is slightly smaller than the 18.5 Niner I have now and I think it will be perfect. I don't have it built up yet but I'm looking forward to riding it in January.
    Thanks Dude...Whats your build going to be...

Woohooo! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike Turner
    BB5 vs BB7
    Isn't that kinda like Cheeze Wiz vs. Velveta?

I'm interested in a 2010 Unit too. Anyone know what the widest tires you can use are? I would probably want to run something 2.35" or so, maybe a little wider in the front during the winter.

mtbr member
    The build should be:

Kona Unit 19'' frame
    Kona P2 fork
    Stan's wheels
    Racing Ralphs 2.4f/2.25r
    BB7's front and rear
    Easton EC70 carbon seatpost
    Terry Fly seat
    LX crank
    32-20 gearing
    Avid levers
    flat bar

and I think that about covers it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney
    The build should be:

Kona Unit 19'' frame
    Kona P2 fork
    Stan's wheels
    Racing Ralphs 2.4f/2.25r
    BB7's front and rear
    Easton EC70 carbon seatpost
    Terry Fly seat
    LX crank
    32-20 gearing
    Avid levers
    flat bar

and I think that about covers it.
    Nice...Post up pics when you have her built...

Leg Shaver
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Isn't that kinda like Cheeze Wiz vs. Velveta?

isnt that the point dbag

Woohooo! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike Turner
    isnt that the point dbag
    OK, but how is that helpful advice?

V-Shaped Rut
    I haven't ridden the moncog, but my old bike (now my wife's) is a unit. Awesome bike, I still steal it for rides. It feels..... active. Like a slightly bigger BMX bike. Just enough give for comfort but not noodly. Can't go wrong IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I say the flight. I would post this in the 29er forum for more results

nothing to see here
    Tommy
    I'm a bit shorter (5'6.5") but with a bit longer inseam (31"), and I just bought the 2009 16" Unit. Switched the stem from 110 to 90mm, slid the seat back a bit, and it's fine. Love the handling. The Ignitors need low pressures (~22-24psi) to work properly at my weight (~147lbs). In Australia, I couldn't find a Flight, so it was the Unit for me, and the Flight probably would have been much more expensive too (I paid ~$900US). The Unit has the lowest weight out of the bikes I tested (Peace, Mary).

Happy to answer any other questions.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Tommy
    I am 6'0" with about 34" inseam, and I bought a 19" Unit, which fits well. Choose your frame size based more on top tube length than seat tube size. And use horizontal, or effective top tube length. Measure the bikes you have now to see how long the top tube is and use that as a base line. If your bike(s) are more than a few years old, keep in mind that in general, top tube length has increased in the past few years and stem length has decreased. You may find the stem is a little long on the Unit; I swapped mine for a shorter one.

As for tire size, there is plenty of room for fat tires. I think there is room for any currently made 29er tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polk
    I am 6'0" with about 34" inseam, and I bought a 19" Unit, which fits well. Choose your frame size based more on top tube length than seat tube size. And use horizontal, or effective top tube length. Measure the bikes you have now to see how long the top tube is and use that as a base line. If your bike(s) are more than a few years old, keep in mind that in general, top tube length has increased in the past few years and stem length has decreased. You may find the stem is a little long on the Unit; I swapped mine for a shorter one.

As for tire size, there is plenty of room for fat tires. I think there is room for any currently made 29er tire.
    Polk,
    Thanks for the reply. I ordered a 16in frame and it arrived Thurs. All parts from my 17.5in 08Rig were swapped over. . I did install a longer stem than the rig had. I went with a 110mm stem & upside-down chromo Marybar. The top tube is much shorter on the Unit. I have about 9.5 in of the seatpost out.
    Barely beat the rain for a test ride on local trail. I enjoyed the ride, but it has a totally different feel. I have a few stems & post to try to find the right combo. I would say the ride was smoother. I was not cramped. I think I did better on the switchbacks. I would have to say I am happy with the change.
    Last edited by tominpinson; 12-21-2009 at 07:26 PM.

mtbr member
    The top tube is much shorter on the Unit.
    You got me...Fisher bikes have very long top tubes!

Leg Shaver
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    OK, but how is that helpful advice?
    one has bb5 the other bb7 dumbass

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Tommy
    I am roughly the same height as you and the same inseam. I normally ride a medium when it is a 26er. With the Unit the medium felt too big. The stand over was also uncomfortable. rode the small and it fit perfect for me so that was the one I bought. have had it for a year now and am happy with the choice.

Members who have read this thread: 0