kona unit, and explosif questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

kona unit, and explosif questions

so anyways, I am seriously interested in the kona unit/ or Explosif. But I was reading on this board that the Explosif frame is the same as the Unit, except that it has a derailleur hanger, also. Is that the only difference? If that is the case, wouldn't the Explosif frame be kinda like a KarateMonkey frame, except in a 26" wheel version?,, in that you can build it up as a SS, or a geared bike. I am trying to get straightened out on this.

Also, I really really like fat tires, like 2.4's. Now although my bianchi siss came stock with 2.4's, when I ride it under great torquing, as you all know, the frame flexes, and my rear tire rubs on the inside of the chainstays. Of course I don't like this, but I really love that bike , except for that. The other question is: do the Konas have that problem with flexy chainstays, and rear tire rub?????? I would hope that the platinum tubing would not flex like the bianchi deccallini steel does.

The bottom line is that I want to run fat (2.4) tires without tire rub. WHat about surly 1X1's ???? I would think that would not be a problem with that frame.....

hey thanks,,,

Out spokin'
    First, I know nothing about tire clearance on the Konas.

But I do know that the difference between the frames is the Explosif has derailleur housing stops brazed onto it so you can run a rear der and the Unit doesn't. The Explosif also comes with a der hanger but that's not part of the frame -- it's a separate bolt-on sliding vertical dropout. The sliding dropouts is how you tension the chain. If you want to run a rear der on the Unit you can easily buy the dropout with the hanger on it and go for it, you'll just have to run full length housing and zip it to your frame tubes.

Alternately, you can get the Explosif frame (it's available as a bike or as a frame only, I believe, whereas the Unit is only available as a built bike) and buy a hangerless dropout to make it look SStealth.

I like the looks of both those Konas.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by stevie nicks
    so anyways, I am seriously interested in the kona unit/ or Explosif,,,
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

SS Grrrrrrrl

Unit frame only

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    First, I know nothing about tire clearance on the Konas.

But I do know that the difference between the frames is the Explosif has derailleur housing stops brazed onto it so you can run a rear der and the Unit doesn't. The Explosif also comes with a der hanger but that's not part of the frame -- it's a separate bolt-on sliding vertical dropout. The sliding dropouts is how you tension the chain. If you want to run a rear der on the Unit you can easily buy the dropout with the hanger on it and go for it, you'll just have to run full length housing and zip it to your frame tubes.

Alternately, you can get the Explosif frame (it's available as a bike or as a frame only, I believe, whereas the Unit is only available as a built bike) and buy a hangerless dropout to make it look SStealth.

I like the looks of both those Konas.

--Sparty
    You can buy the Unit as frame only as well.

semi-evolved simian
    Also, I really really like fat tires, like 2.4's. Now although my bianchi siss came stock with 2.4's, when I ride it under great torquing, as you all know, the frame flexes, and my rear tire rubs on the inside of the chainstays. Of course I don't like this, but I really love that bike , except for that. The other question is: do the Konas have that problem with flexy chainstays, and rear tire rub?????? I would hope that the platinum tubing would not flex like the bianchi deccallini steel does.

The bottom line is that I want to run fat (2.4) tires without tire rub. WHat about surly 1X1's ???? I would think that would not be a problem with that frame.....

hey thanks,,,
    I've not experienced any problems with flexy Explosif chainstays, that's with my 200lbs of non-finesse so they should be fine. As for tire clearance we had a thread just a day or so back about this:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=8896

Not sure about 2.4s, that's gonna be pretty tight I'd say.

Fight the Kakistocracy!

Get the ExploSSif

. The other question is: do the Konas have that problem with flexy chainstays, and rear tire rub?????? I would hope that the platinum tubing would not flex like the bianchi deccallini steel does.
    hey thanks,,,
    Stevie, go for the ExploSSif, SS, 1x9, or 27 speed. I have been between 225# and 210# with my ExploSSif and haven't noticed any problems with chainstay flex, and I have had problems on other mountain bikes and road as well. If you want really big tires, the Kona has tons of room, check out the link that Mine'sAPint had and check the pic that I have of a Geax Sturdy 2.25 pushed all the way forward in the slots on the dropouts. This tire is a bit larger than the Sedona 2.25 that I had on my old discless surly, and the vbrake noodle carrier thingy rubbed the tire in spots on the surly, very annoying (I have no experience with the disc version of the frame). Good luck with your decision, I don't think you could go wrong either way, I just like Konas better (I also have a Jake the Snake).
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.