SRAM NX 170mm
    32/16
    Deorre brakes
    Reba boost fork 140mm

Need a dropper and i'm set.

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Honzo ST SS-image3.jpg  

Kona Honzo ST SS-image2-3-.jpg  

Last edited by tantrum007; 11-03-2017 at 02:21 PM.

mtbr member
    STOP right there! If you are going go with coloured parts, they have got to match. Pick purple OR yellow.

Also, since this is a singlespeed, we have to know how many teeth on that cog?

BTW, nice looking bike
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Kona Honzo ST SS-630b5ffadbf8fa2e27b24749c01a8232-mike-tyson-meme-mike-dantoni.jpg

Sexy bike! Do you like riding SS with flats? I've always defaulted to clipless on SS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Badass bike! my guess is 19 tooth cog

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    STOP right there! If you are going go with coloured parts, they have got to match. Pick purple OR yellow.

Also, since this is a singlespeed, we have to know how many teeth on that cog?

BTW, nice looking bike
    The entire bike is purple with yellow emblems. 32/16 for my types of trails.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	630b5ffadbf8fa2e27b24749c01a8232--mike-tyson-meme-mike-dantoni.jpg 
Views:	1443 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	1165507

Sexy bike! Do you like riding SS with flats? I've always defaulted to clipless on SS.
    I enjoy the struggle.

mtbr member
    Purple, looks black.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Purple, looks black.
    is this going to be the next black and blue dress?

President of the Internet
    what's it weigh?
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Never weight a steel Honzo. It won't end well.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post
    what's it weigh?
    Wrong question. Try this:

"How fun is it?"
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    nice bike. how does it handle on climbs?
    Last edited by temaki69; 02-24-2018 at 10:21 PM. Reason: question was previously asked

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by temaki69 View Post
    nice bike. how does it handle on climbs?
    It's dreamy. Surprised how light it turned out being steel and all. Tubeless, no gears, carbon bits here and there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tantrum007 View Post
    It's dreamy. Surprised how light it turned out being steel and all. Tubeless, no gears, carbon bits here and there.
    Good to hear that. i am looking at getting one built by the LBS, just got go source all the parts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Still my favorite SS hardtail...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Great trail bike!

Quote Originally Posted by temaki69 View Post
    Good to hear that. i am looking at getting one built by the LBS, just got go source all the parts.
    Finally finished building up the bike (here is a picture.. "purple passion").
    Love how the bike handles. Climbs well (but you can feel the weight, but you get used to it). The bike handles downhills and technical sections really well. The progressive geometry works really well for me. The 140mm fork was definitely the right choice.. The bike descends w/confidence. The steel frame really smooths out the chatter, but big hits and rock gardens is something I still need to work on.. can't just plow thru like on my FS. A dropper is a must, getting tired of adjusting the seatpost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Honzo ST SS-dsc_2447_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sweet! Looking at doing a similar treatment for my ros 9+ for summer. Got some older black flag comp wheels, and a guy gave me a fox fork, so I thought I would pull the gears off and run it SS in that configuration. Going from rigid to a 120 squish will feel different. Any idea what the weight of that ride is? (hoping that pulling the gears off, going with lighter wheels and tires, but adding squish I can hopefully be under 28) I do have a lot of climbing, but I am not in a hurry, so looking forward to "getting used to it" and enjoying the descents a little more.

mtbr member
    I too recently built a SS 2018 Honzo ST. It's a tank but I love it and I'll be racing it this season.
    Last edited by Bluebeat007; 04-10-2018 at 06:36 AM.
    CADRE RACING

Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    My build came out to 27 lbs. I think I could have gone lighter if i would have gone with some carbon components here and there and more XC components.. but for what I ride, it's good enough. The ROS9 I think is similar in weight to the Honzo. I do not know the weight of your wheelset, but to give you an idea, i put the Stans Arch MK3 (1770g) paired with Minion DH 2.5 front and Ardent 2.4 rear. Yes, i think you can build your ROS 9 to be less than 28 lbs in a SS config.

mtbr member
    These Honzo ST builds are incredible.

Please show us more photos of details and the bike in the wild, and get someone to take photos of you actually riding them, and post them here!

Even though my SS riding is old school, or because it's so old school, I'm fascinated by this bike and category.

My FS bike is boost. I ride that bike on the technical rides. I do take my SS out on technical terrain, but it's slow. I have to dissect the terrain and use a trials approach to negotiate obstacles.

It would be a blast to have a Honzo, or something like it, I'm sure.

At one point I the past I thought about making my fat bike a one speed, but I realized it would ruin it, for what it was made for, and it would be an unpopular pig my garage. It would never do what a Honzo could.

And so, I am enjoying what I have, and wondering wheny ship will come in, in this category.

Dare I say it here.... I'm waiting for a SS'able low, long, and slack carbon frame...

Sacrelige?

Now that Danny Macaskill is on a carbon trails bike, things are changing.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    These Honzo ST builds are incredible.

Please show us more photos of details and the bike in the wild, and get someone to take photos of you actually riding them, and post them here!

Even though my SS riding is old school, or because it's so old school, I'm fascinated by this bike and category.

My FS bike is boost. I ride that bike on the technical rides. I do take my SS out on technical terrain, but it's slow. I have to dissect the terrain and use a trials approach to negotiate obstacles.

It would be a blast to have a Honzo, or something like it, I'm sure.

At one point I the past I thought about making my fat bike a one speed, but I realized it would ruin it, for what it was made for, and it would be an unpopular pig my garage. It would never do what a Honzo could.

And so, I am enjoying what I have, and wondering wheny ship will come in, in this category.

Dare I say it here.... I'm waiting for a SS'able low, long, and slack carbon frame...

Sacrelige?

Now that Danny Macaskill is on a carbon trails bike, things are changing.

Does the carbon honzo not tickle your pickle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    This thread is really about the steel Honzo single speed. I shouldn't even be here.

Yes there is a carbon Honzo, but it doesn't have sliders. Not interested really. Magic gear? Maybe, but not a good idea.

Let's have a closer look at those steel Honzo single speeds and some GoPro descending videos.

mtbr member

My st/ss

2016 xl
    140 pike
    32x19 unless at gooseberry(32x20)
    30.9lbs w/o frame bag and bell
    Kona Honzo ST SS-6ba12970-fa1e-4e72-a4c6-62065c4b7d5f.jpgKona Honzo ST SS-870a7f97-ee9e-4eee-bdbc-e0fea8d5a3d0.jpgKona Honzo ST SS-2b2b13eb-5f15-4fe8-8cac-be14af939a8f.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Honzo ST SS-4f76b87d-fb46-4b95-857b-16f13e71b5e9.jpg  

Kona Honzo ST SS-85978601-877b-45bb-ab57-6f2af41c3846.jpg  

mtbr member
    Great pics! Now I want one too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I have a fresh purple honzo st frame with a fox 34 factory sitting on my repair stand. Should I single speed it? I really really want to, but I live in Palm Springs area... there are lots of climbs out here. Like today 6.6 mile with 1300k climbing. Should I do it?

mtbr member
    Kona Honzo ST SS-img_4131.jpg
    CADRE RACING

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvcarpenter View Post
    I have a fresh purple honzo st frame with a fox 34 factory sitting on my repair stand. Should I single speed it? I really really want to, but I live in Palm Springs area... there are lots of climbs out here. Like today 6.6 mile with 1300k climbing. Should I do it?
    But single speeds live for climbing - of course you should!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4131.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	1192176
    29+?

mtbr member
    Nope! 29x2.35 on 30mm inner Carbon rims.
    CADRE RACING

mtbr member
    Kona Honzo ST SS-img_4073.jpg
    Better tire view.
    CADRE RACING

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What Maxxis tires are you running and how do you like them on LI trails?

mtbr member
    2.35 Forkaster in the front and a 2.35 Ardent Race in the rear. I'm loving the combo so far.
    CADRE RACING

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
    But single speeds live for climbing - of course you should!
    Gotta agree here. I'm definitely not SS'ing for the downs (or at least the flats). It's all about that climb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    2.35 Forkaster in the front and a 2.35 Ardent Race in the rear. I'm loving the combo so far.
    What prompted you to go with those vs. some of the more popular Maxxis options?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    What prompted you to go with those vs. some of the more popular Maxxis options?

This is a pretty popular combo! Iím running it myself for when I need more traction in a setup that still rolls well. My standard XC tire selection is ikon rear, AR front.... but the forekaster really hooks up on a different level when things get loose.... which is impressive for how well it rolls.

mtbr member
    I've run Ikons and Ardent Race's both front and rear in the past. I was looking for a little more bite up front because I like to lean and push the bike in turns. The Forekaster seemed to be the best choice for that plus it has a reasonable weight and rolls well.
    CADRE RACING

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've run Ikons and Ardent Race's both front and rear in the past. I was looking for a little more bite up front because I like to lean and push the bike in turns. The Forekaster seemed to be the best choice for that plus it has a reasonable weight and rolls well.
    Was curious since Maxxis site lists Forekaster for mud and wet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bvcarpenter View Post
    SS is the way to go. Some of the the climbs in Palm Springs maybe a bit of a challenge, but with the right gear ratio its doable. 1,300ft elevation on SS is not bad. BTW, once you get your Honzo built, you should try riding Palm Epic, it should be fun on this bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've been looking at the Forekaster. I run a 2.35 Rampage up front, and have been happy with it. It's been a little slow rolling, but never washes out. The Forekaster looks similar but with a little more volume. Looks like it would have a better footprint on bigger rocks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slohr View Post
    I've been looking at the Forekaster. I run a 2.35 Rampage up front, and have been happy with it. It's been a little slow rolling, but never washes out. The Forekaster looks similar but with a little more volume. Looks like it would have a better footprint on bigger rocks.
    I think you should try it because itís a good tire, but be forewarned that the forekaster is a small 2.35.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Kona Honzo ST SS-d586a3d2-df9b-4e94-97e9-8120e0ca8573.jpgKona Honzo ST SS-07862634-f91e-48c4-a691-9f565db2c1e0.jpg

Maiden voyage tomorrow.

Fox 34 Rhythm 130mm
    PNW components bar and stem.
    kS LEV 125 mm dropper slammed down
    DT SWISS 1900 wheelset
    Race Race Respond crank
    renthal chainring 32 tooth
    Chris King 20t cog
    Mixed headset- chris king upper off old bike (faded black anodized matches the purple perfectly). and cane creek lower.
    XT brakes
    One up dropper lever
    Old Maxxis tires.
    Deity grips
    xt trail pedals.

Weight: unknown

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Very nice set up!. Give us an update after you had a chance to ride it couple of times.

Downcountry AF
    ^ Sweet!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Iím building up a 2019 steel Honzo frame (singlespeed). My original plan was to build it with 29ís, but happen to have a 27.5 wheelset laying around. Iím pretty sure 27.5x2.8ís will fit. Any thoughts on running the Honzo with the 27.5 plus setup vs 29?

Additional information... Iím building it with a 130mm fork so bb height will be raised a bit and I know there is a Honzo ST plus specific frame. I donít ride in mud, so clearance can be a little tighter.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I did that with a 130 fork. 29 felt faster and free from pedal strikes (literally zero). 27.5 was more comfortable (not like the 29 was uncomfortable because steel really is real) tons of pedal strikes even with the 130 fork. 29x2.5 was better for me. 170mm cranks would help with the 27.5 plus though

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I just picked up a 175mm, so pedal strikes will be more likely if I went 27.5. Are you still running the 130mm fork?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I moved up to the 140mm Reba.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Well since I have gotten no love from anyone in the Honzo Build thread maybe ill post here since SS'ers usualoly tend to stick together and think alike........ Maybe not ..... Either way this thread is cool and I want to add my current build to it.

I also have a question.

Does anyone know what size set scres are used in the 2016 Honzo ST sliding dropouts for the chain tensioners ? My frame came set screw less so ill need to source some, Ill probably use SS Socket Head Cap Screws with a jam nut up against the frame area.

Anywho here is my build and specs, Any feedback, suggestions etc are appreciated.

2016 Kona Honzo ST (Medium)
    Fork: 2016 Rock Shox Sektor RL Gold (130mm)
    Wheels: Azonic Outlaw 29ers/ Prest/ SRAM Rim Strips NON TUBLESS !! I LIKE TUBES !!
    Hubs: Azonic Outlaw 32H
    Brakes: Shimano ZEE 4 Pots Front and Rear with Shimano RT-66 203 MM Rotors
    Tires Front: Maxxis Minion DHF 3C EXO 2.5
    Tires Rear: Maxxis Minion DHR 2 EXO 3C 2.4
    Tubes: Continental Mountain Presta 42mm
    Cranks: Race Face Ride 175mm
    BB: Race Face Sealed
    Pedals: Welgo B319's (ALUMINUM CNC)
    Post: Nuke Proof 31.6 (Dropper will be added when $ allows)
    Clamp: Kona Clump OG
    Saddle: Fizik Gobi
    Headset: Crane Creek Zero Stack Sealed
    Stem: Truvativ Hussfelt 70mm
    Handlebars: Kona Riser (OEM Stinky)
    Grips: ODI Rouge
    SS Gearing: 20/32 I will keep an 18T Cog around if needed.Kona Honzo ST SS-img_8604%5B2%5D.jpg
    Kona Honzo ST SS-img_8563%5B1%5D.jpg
    Kona Honzo ST SS-img_8603%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Your build is looking good. I am a bit jealous of the saint brakes. As for the slider adjment screws I believe they are M5 x 0.8 x 35 .