Knees Don't Hurt- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Knees Don't Hurt

So for the last week I've been riding my newly assembled ss every day taking advantage of the little warm spell we just had in the midwest. Also I was excited to ride the new build.

I'm running a 34 20 26er FS and what I was surprised to notice was that my knees didn't start to hurt like I expected from grinding up the usual hills in a way bigger gear, and actually when I road my 9 speed yesterday my right knee was hurting more.

I'm not sure if this is because I stand up most of the time when climbing on the ss or that I'm not spinning as much or both.

I have noticed in the past (when I did it several years ago) that I get a lot more pain all over my body from riding a road bike than on a rough trail because for most of the ride you just sit there and spin in one position so things start to hurt. It's like sitting in a chair watching tv or outside running around working. For me it's more painful to sit in the chair for a long time.

Anyone experience something similar when new to ssing?
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier
    I'm not sure if this is because I stand up most of the time when climbing on the ss ...
    Yes, this.

Mashing a tall gear whilst sitting never does the knees any favors. Also remember that good standing form will protect the lower back, as well.

mtbr member
    I notice that when I stand on climbs, I need to be disciplined with the path of my knees in the stroke in order to avoid knee pain. The more side-to-side my knees flare out as I work the bars, the more likely I'll have knee pain > my knees tend to flare out as the top tube goes from side to side so it's easy to get in that painful habit. However, when I focus on keeping my knees going in a more straight line motion, it's less likely I'll have knee pain, AND I feel like I'm getting more power, especially on the downstroke.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by longshanks
    I notice that when I stand on climbs, I need to be disciplined with the path of my knees in the stroke in order to avoid knee pain. The more side-to-side my knees flare out as I work the bars, the more likely I'll have knee pain > my knees tend to flare out as the top tube goes from side to side so it's easy to get in that painful habit. However, when I focus on keeping my knees going in a more straight line motion, it's less likely I'll have knee pain, AND I feel like I'm getting more power, especially on the downstroke.
    I've got some mild biomechanical issues with my lower extremeties. Fixed clip in pedals cause knee pain for me. Because of that, I use Speedplay Frog cleats. They've got 20 degrees of non-centering rotation. It works great for me.

Rohloff
    I've never had any big knee issues on or off the bike. I'm fine mashing gears sitting or standing. I'm new to SSing and recently noticed some mild knee pain while walking around. This went on for a few days. I'm really not sure what to relate it to, but I will say it came on after not riding for a week and it quickly went away when I got back on the bike.

I think my knees may be addicted to SSing!

Dive Bomber
    My knee hurt really bad.

My knee hit the handlebar when I testing my chain, and when the chain's off I hit jackpot.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have noticed in the past (when I did it several years ago) that I get a lot more pain all over my body from riding a road bike than on a rough trail because for most of the ride you just sit there and spin in one position so things start to hurt.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing that. I sometimes see people at endurance races who don't ever seem to get out of the saddle. Horrendous, but then again, I'm ss-conditioned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I picked-up SS again after a few years of 1x9. I have ridden SS on and off again over the years and never had an issue with knee pain, but recently running a 34 x17 26er I ended-up injuring my left knee while torquing on a few steep sections repeatedly. I always stand on all climbs and am out of the saddle a lot, but even so if your tendons aren't conditioned to that stress you can still experience some pain if you over-do too soon. I have since changed to an 18T rear cog, but may drop to 33 or 32T ring until I can get my knee sorted-back out.

Members who have read this thread: 0