KMC D202 Gold Chain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

KMC D202 Gold Chain?

Anyone currently using or have used the KMC D202 Gold chain? It looks nice, and they claim that it is stretch proof.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just removed a KMC x9sl gold from my squishy 29er, it stretched beyond 1% in less than 2 months. Granted, I ride +/- 50 miles a week, lots of Arizona technical and mountain climbs, but I think it should have certainly lasted longer.

PSYCHOLUST
    Not wanting to sound like Mr Know-it-all, but chains don't stretch, they WEAR and unless KMC has found a new metal that doesn't wear , then the 500+ individual parts of that chain will wear just like every other and it will elongate and need to be replaced. Cleaning and lubing is your best defence.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    difference between elongate and stretch?

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    elongation refers to the entire chain getting longer as a whole due to slop between the indvidual components, stretch is a misnomer that ppl think refers to the metal of the plates actually deforming, which takes an awful lot of force to do, and if it did do that, they would not mesh properly with your teeth.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

PSYCHOLUST
    Thank you B4 Stealth, well put

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Stretch, wear, whatever. Fact of the matter is, I had cleaned and lubed before EVERY ride, and got definitely no more than 300 miles/1.75 months use before measuring more than 1% elongation with a Park CC-2 chain checker, and drive train clattering like mad. Lubed with ATB, formulated specifically for off road use. My last SRAM P971 lasted 3 times longer, I just put on a P991, to test longevity. I had no problems with the KMC, but I feel that it wore way to fast, possibly the hollow pin design, although they claim 2-3 times longer life. In my opinion, which admittedly may not be worth much, the KMC is not worth the price premium.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for all the input! but does anyone have anytime on that chain? Is it better than the Sram PC1 nickel chain I am using right now?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Regarding the chain enlogation and measuring, I am not sure if the Park CC2 is reliable, since I have heard from other users stating that the CC2 might have wrong reading. I would say that you should use other chain checkers to measure the chain again to double check if you got the same chain enlogation result. This could get a fair result.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by b4 stealth
    elongation refers to the entire chain getting longer as a whole due to slop between the individual components, stretch is a misnomer that ppl think refers to the metal of the plates actually deforming
    . so in essence all bike chains are strech proof. Here is an excellent examination from Sheldon Brown with pictures <a href="http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html"> Chain Maintenance </a>.
    Last edited by aka brad; 11-30-2009 at 06:05 PM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had terrible luck with the pc1. A few people recommended the sram 8 spd chain and that's the only chain i will use now. Lasts much longer than the pc1

Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive
    Thanks for all the input! but does anyone have anytime on that chain? Is it better than the Sram PC1 nickel chain I am using right now?

PSYCHOLUST
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeforever
    Regarding the chain enlogation and measuring, I am not sure if the Park CC2 is reliable, since I have heard from other users stating that the CC2 might have wrong reading. I would say that you should use other chain checkers to measure the chain again to double check if you got the same chain enlogation result. This could get a fair result.

the Park CC2 is one of the very few Park Tools I consider a waste of time and money.
    It's accuracy is always suspect and why bother with uch a device when a good steel RULER will tell you all you need to know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scyule
    Not wanting to sound like Mr Know-it-all, but chains don't stretch, they WEAR and unless KMC has found a new metal that doesn't wear , then the 500+ individual parts of that chain will wear just like every other and it will elongate and need to be replaced. Cleaning and lubing is your best defence.
    The difference with the d202 is that is made different from most other modern bike chains. Like many Track or BMX chains, they are full bushing chains. This makes them more like machinery and motorcycle chains in that the part the pins wear against is a separate formed piece (tube) that is then pressed into the outter side plates. Most derailleur (bushingless) style chains (pc1 is bushingless) which have the bushings pressed out of the side plates themselves, making half a bushing from each side plate.

The bushing chain (in theory) allows for a better pin to bushing contact and should wear longer. Also, in theory, it should be possible to make the bushing of a harder material.

The side effect is they do not like to flex side to side, so don't work as well for shifting. But that's not much of an issue with single speed with decent chainline. There is also more parts and assembly involved, so they tend to cost more.

I find a quality bushing'd chain lasts much longer (and sometimes even feels stiffer). I've never used the D202 though.
    Last edited by ChuckUni; 11-30-2009 at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    I put a D202 on my fixie commuter not long ago. Only 3-4 short rides on it yet. So don't know how long it will last and how it wears. So far so good. Will report later.
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!!

mtbr member
    D202: where can you buy it? I've found the D101 "Devil" which is the 1/8 version. I already have the KMC K710SL's on both my rides (which also appear to have a more angular than rounded look than the D202). They're dope, but prefer to have no side to side movement so want a tighter D202 3/32 size. I have searched most online sources, seems like they only have the 1/8 version, not the 3/32 version. ebay AU does have a seller with the 3/32.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    I know this is an old post but I thought I would add my comment: I've been using the D202 chain on my singlespeed for 1.5 years so far. Still on my bike. I like to climb a lot so I think I've stressed this chain some so far, but it seems to hold up pretty well. 26" bike, 32X18 gearing. I weigh 135lbs. This is where I ordered mine from: http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...oducts_id=9480

Members who have read this thread: 0