kmc 710SL vs. kmc 410....sorry.- Mtbr.com
    conjoinicorned

kmc 710SL vs. kmc 410....sorry.

sigh...sorry for the chain question guys i should be way beyond this

i've used many of the kmc 410 chains (i.e. the colored cheap ones) as well as pc-1, gusset, etc. (but never a 710)

i've broken every single chain i've ever tried, usually with painful results (i've broken so many 410's). this lead to installing a shadow conspiracy half link chain. it is unbreakable, no matter who you are. it is also extremely heavy and expensive, and wears out rather quickly due to the design not being suitable for long miles.

i have a huge friend using the kmc710 SL without trouble so far, and i'm wondering what the experiences with that chain are (i prefer 1/8 drive, i believe the 710 is 1/8?)

all i care about is that it doesn't break easily.....
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    For a 1/8 chain it's really a good chain. You shouldn't have any problems with it. I switched over to 32 for better and stronger options.

Let's ride
    Save yourself a lot of headache and buy a Wipperman Whitestar. It is 1/8" and for sure won't break. I switched from PC1 after a few years and kicked myself for waiting so long and dealing with all the breakage and chain stretch and drops of the PC1.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Save yourself a lot of headache and buy a Wipperman Whitestar. It is 1/8" and for sure won't break. I switched from PC1 after a few years and kicked myself for waiting so long and dealing with all the breakage and chain stretch and drops of the PC1.

i've been looking at that one as well, i know shiggy likes them (i do search and read dozens of posts LOL)
    what is your experience with wear (i.e. normal stretch), do you get a couple thousand miles?

i really, really love the shadow chains...they are sexy and probably the toughest bike chain in the world, but 1000km before the bushings turn to shite is unacceptable. 1000km is probably 10 years of bmx riding LOL
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

master blaster
    the 710sl is bombproof.
    half links suck, they stretch faster then any other chain and once theyre worn out they will break retardedly often.

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    i've been looking at that one as well, i know shiggy likes them (i do search and read dozens of posts LOL)
    what is your experience with wear (i.e. normal stretch), do you get a couple thousand miles?

i really, really love the shadow chains...they are sexy and probably the toughest bike chain in the world, but 1000km before the bushings turn to shite is unacceptable. 1000km is probably 10 years of bmx riding LOL
    I get at least 4000 miles on them. Only downside is they're a little heavy, but you will not break or throw this thing.

I've heard good things about the PC7x SRAM chains. They're not as robust, but perhaps still good enough.

Members who have read this thread: 1