KM 29" fork on 1x1 frame?- Mtbr.com
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

KM 29" fork on 1x1 frame?

Anybody out there running a Karate Monkey rigid fork (or any other rigid fork built for 29" wheels) on a 1x1 (or similar) frame? If so, how does it affect the handling? I like the stock fork on the 1x1, but I'd like to put the front end of the bike up a little higher because it feels "twitchy" at the current fork length, and also get the BB height up a little bit.

mtbr member
    A few weeks ago there was a thread that had a picture of a guy doing it in a 24hr race. I think it was an Airborne frame and fork. Totally doable, the only real concern is what happens to the geometry. A 29er fork with little suspension correction might work out well on a suspended corrected 26er frame.

I've been kinda thinking of trying something like this myself. It brings back memories of all those east coast bikes with the 24" rears and the 26" fronts.

Good luck
    cheers

Witty McWitterson
    Why not just use an Instigator fork? From what I understand, they're damned close to, if not the same length, and you can still use the canti studs if you're into that kinda thing...
    Just a regular guy.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

good idea

Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Why not just use an Instigator fork? From what I understand, they're damned close to, if not the same length, and you can still use the canti studs if you're into that kinda thing...
    Actually, that seems to make pretty good sense - the 1x1 fork is 413mm axle to crown, the Instigator fork is 447mm axle to crown, and the KM fork is 468mm axle to crown. I think an one additional inch of fork length (as opposed to 2 additional inches) would get me where I want to go. Thanks!!!!