ride your bike

From KM to 1x1....

I had the opportunity to ride a cook bros geared 29er this wknd. No sir, didn't like it! I've said in the recent past I'm getting a karate monkey because of a positive experience off roading on my cyclocross bike. But I think I've changed my mind to the 1x1 now. I've ridden 26" all along, and I think I'll stick with it. Also spoke with Dave at Speed Dream wheels (he built my geary wheels) and he recommended 26" over 29" when using fat tires because of the increased rotating weight (10-20%).
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    I had the opportunity to ride a cook bros geared 29er this wknd. No sir, didn't like it! I've said in the recent past I'm getting a karate monkey because of a positive experience off roading on my cyclocross bike. But I think I've changed my mind to the 1x1 now. I've ridden 26" all along, and I think I'll stick with it. Also spoke with Dave at Speed Dream wheels (he built my geary wheels) and he recommended 26" over 29" when using fat tires because of the increased rotating weight (10-20%).
    Did you get a chance to check on the specs of the cooks bike? I believe alot of those frames are built with very relaxed "cruiser" style geometry?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Did you get a chance to check on the specs of the cooks bike? I believe alot of those frames are built with very relaxed "cruiser" style geometry?

B
    I should ask the guy. I felt like I was driving a tractor on a race track.

indigosky

hmmm...

I've got one of both (KM & 1x1) and love em. I would chose to ride the KM 97% of the time. Before I built the KM, I loved the way the 1x1 rode, handled (almost telepathic for me), but after building and getting used to the KM, I would pick it over the 1x1 any day. Try a KM before you judge a 29'er by a Cook Bros.

mtbr member
    Don't think that I could ever go back to 26" now... the Karate Monkey has treated me so well. Only downside to twenty-nine that I've found so far is the availability of parts, not that I have any problems with the twenty-nine specific parts that I have...

It took me one ride to get used to the larger wheels on a trail bike. I don't think that I would like single speeding nearly as much without the larger wheels, although I have no reference to small-wheel SSing.

hispanic mechanic

Dave Thomas is a great wheelbuilder...

And he does have a point- 29" wheels and tires are going to be inherently heavier. What he doesn't take into account is the advantages of the larger diameter, and how little effect the added weight makes.
    I'm with Donkey and Indigosky on this one for sure- don't judge 29" by the Cook cruiser.

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    And he does have a point- 29" wheels and tires are going to be inherently heavier. What he doesn't take into account is the advantages of the larger diameter, and how little effect the added weight makes.
    I'm with Donkey and Indigosky on this one for sure- don't judge 29" by the Cook cruiser.

the los
    It's been quite a while since I've considered weight a primary factor in selecting my bicycle components. While a 15 pound road bike is indeed impressive, I'd rather own a 21 pound steel bike that'll last me the next decade of my life at the very least.

ride your bike
    I'll think aboot it. You guys make a great case.

AussieLostInNyc

Good job! I just want to say

I LOVE MY KM

I had a spin on my friends 26er whilst on a ride on the w-end and it felt weird.
    The only thing I have not got under control since getting the KM is jumping/dropping
    off things. I think that is a combo of my fear with having more bike under me(it's a rigid XL)
    and the fact that I always seem to pop out of my spd's when I try to suck it up.
    In every other area I think I am riding better.
    Try and demo the KM before you make up your mind.

gumby
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby
    Try and demo the KM before you make up your mind.

gumby
    I will try.

I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED

My KM rigid is a sweet ride aswell for the......

cash I laid out for it (bout a grand) and never did I ever
    think I'd ride rigid but where I ride it works well for me,
    there are lots of short steep climbs so a rigid fork is
    the way to go. The down hills can be a bit sketchy as
    there are plenty of roots but I'm getting used to it more
    n more. Only real complaint I have is that I do have
    more pedal strikes (it's rooty around here). The bb is a
    bit low. One great thing I can say about 29ing is at a 175#
    I'm running 25 to 27psi frt and 32psi rr in the tires w/out pinchflats
    so far and couldn't do that w/a 26er (nope nada noway).

Been told it won't handle as well as a 26er and thats
    all poppycock, it tracks very well and if you lose the
    front you almost always get it back under you before
    you'll go down.

I just wish and hope there will be more 29er tires soon!

Good Luck - V V V .
    "As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can."
    -- Julius Caesar

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I rode a 26" SS for and a 29" geared, thinking the same thing. Once the 26" geared frame broke, it only made sense to at least try the 29er as a SS.

Now I ride a 29er SS and love it!!!

Different frames will have different feels. My Buzz Bomb feels waaay different than my Mt Tam did. The bigger wheel tire setup does weigh a little more, but it rolls over things really nicely.

I've had problems just doing really slow, tight, turns with my 29ers, but it mainly has to do with the bike being longer than a typical 26er, but it rolls SO MUCH FASTER!!!!

mtbr member

my first KM ride

I realize you're not giving up on the KM idea, I just wanted to give you my KM story. I never got to demo a 29er, I just went for it 'cause I liked the cross bike so much for trail riding. I built up my KM ss style and went for my local loop and I couldn't wait to get home so I could try to sell it, and get back on my 1x1...I thought I had for sure made a huge mistake. During the 5 mile spin home I simmered down a bit and decided that my stem height/length combo might be a bit off so I thought I'd give it another try with the geometry changed up a bit. That's all it took...the KM now handles better than I can imagine, I sold my 1x1, I choose the KM 95% of the time over my custom SS Spicer (not that there's anything wrong w/ my Spicer, I just love the bigger wheels now for most of my local riding...there's still trails and 'needs' for my Spicer).