The King is here! not that "King", Chris King- Mtbr.com
    One gear to rule them all

Good job! The King is here! not that "King", Chris King

I ordered these in December before the CK move. They just arrived today. I just couldn't wait to build them. I had rims and spokes here waiting for them to show up. Now if would stop raining so I can try them out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jed Peters
    I have that exact same wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

my good friend....

works for Chris King.

thanks for helping her out.

good stuff to be sure.

over and out
    nate

What tires are you running? I have my tube/tires on right now. I need to get some UST tires, or stan's. I'm not sure what route to take?

Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    I have that exact same wheelset.

Jed Peters
    I run WTB non-ust tires.

Depends on purpose/condition.

They all work sweet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Is this the wrong forum?

Now i am really confused about this ss thing. You guys need to make up your mind. Chris King to me seems like "what is in vogue" biking that ss seems to wants to get away from.

I know these are hubs but, there are guys who spend $120 on a headset because it says Chris King on it. Guys we are talking about a head set here. hello? If a cane creek breaks buy a new one. Really though, how often does a head set break. i have never had one go on me.
    Good luck, these look like a serious set of rims. Maybe I am ignorant and you race or something.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004

Why so confused?

Why should anybody have to justify his/her bike parts? If somebody bought a King headset because of the logo on the cup, so what? If somebody bought expensive hubs, so what? He/she didn't spend your money, did they?

Not that it's your business, but I bought my King headset because the voices told me to.

--Vlad

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

cute

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad
    Why should anybody have to justify his/her bike parts? If somebody bought a King headset because of the logo on the cup, so what? If somebody bought expensive hubs, so what? He/she didn't spend your money, did they?

Not that it's your business, but I bought my King headset because the voices told me to.

--Vlad
    Cute, but to quote some others around here; "read the FAQ".

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Philo Beddoe
    We wrote the FAQ.

If you read them you would know there as many reasons to ride SSs as there are SSers. This is my favorite "... the need for a new challenge."

My voices say "You can do it!"
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

I've read the FAQ ...

And I don't know what it has to do with this. Yes, some SSers go for simplicity, and avoid the big names. But a lot of SSers also go for bling. Lots of bling. I don't think it makes them any less simple or real. They just want the best.

King parts are reknowned for their longevity and quality. Those are two things that SSers value. The fact that so many colours are available is a nice touch for some, like Hollywood and his Curtlo.

Who are you to judge someone for their choice of rims, much less other components? A serious non-racer will need just as good components as a racer. Do you know anything about the trails 32seventeen rides? Or how often? Or his riding style?

I think central to the SS scene is acceptance. We're already in many ways on the outside of the biking community. We should support each other, especially over such trivial matters as brand names. SSing is about the ride. If someone wants some very well made King hubs and good rims for that ride, more power to them.

/rant

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

oh brother

Oh boy, please don't call me "insensative" or worse yet "a bicycle racist" .

"Acceptance" and "outside the community". Please get grip already. Just ride the dopey bike.

mtbr member

I'm not the one ...

attacking someone for their choice of hubs. I think someone else needs to get out and "ride the dopey bike." All I'm saying is that since we have all (thankfully) strayed away from the MBA majority, we should at least have the decency to respect and appreciate each others choices.

"Acceptance" and "outside the community". Please get grip already. Just ride the dopey bike.

mtbr member

No confusion

SS'ing is about simplicity, of which one benefit is reliability (no derailleur to break, etc.). If anyone enhances the reliability of their rig it's normal SS.

mtbr member
    i'm still waiting on my King Kog.

Good job!

I bought the kings because Chris King Group is a great, environmentally sensitive company. They also make the best SS hubs made (IMHO). I have a friend that works for Mavic, so I am supporting his product as well. I also wanted to try tubeless.
    I any case, I don't ride SS for the simplicity of parts and components. I rode gears for years and never had any problems with my deraillures or anything else for that matter,
    I ride SS for the simplicity of the ride. I feel more at one with the trail. I also like the challenge and feeling of accomplishment when I finish a challenging ride.
    I don't own any geared mountain bikes, this is my only off road ride, so this is where the money goes. I will be the first to admit, that I don't need a bike this nice. But my bike is such a joy to own and ride, it's worth every hard earned penny to me.
    Did you call my bike dopey???? .... it's all good.

Jed Peters
    Now i am really confused about this ss thing. You guys need to make up your mind. Chris King to me seems like "what is in vogue" biking that ss seems to wants to get away from.

I know these are hubs but, there are guys who spend $120 on a headset because it says Chris King on it. Guys we are talking about a head set here. hello? If a cane creek breaks buy a new one. Really though, how often does a head set break. i have never had one go on me.
    Good luck, these look like a serious set of rims. Maybe I am ignorant and you race or something.
    You are a retard.

Do you run Stan's or Yes tubes? I have my Bonti Jones AC tires with tubes in for now. A friend of mine is going to bring me some Hutchison UST tire to try out. It has been so cold and wet here I still have not Ridden them. I took it around the block last night, the hub was not as noisey as my road CK hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    I run WTB non-ust tires.

Depends on purpose/condition.

They all work sweet.

Jed Peters
    I am the yes tubes poser (poster) boy since I've flatted like the last 5 times I've ridden with Fagerlin running notubes.

Yeah, I use stan's sealant.