mtbr member
    Aug 2004

khs solo one vs. redline monocog flight

OK... so i'm in san diego trying to get into this SS thing and i've been trying to get my hands on a monocog. unfortunately, i have to wait at least another 3 weeks for the LBSs to get the '05s in stock and the '04s are all gone (at the 2 shops i checked). for a little less, i can get a solo one either online or from a LBS w/in a week. i'd like to hear y'all's opinion on these 2 bikes compared. Thanks!

-k

an eagle in your mind
    Aug 2004
    i have a solo1 and my friend has an 03 monocog (albeit he put on some bmx bars and made it into a cruiser)

solo1 has better stock parts... more mtb-suitable geometry... better looking welds... better bike overall

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennon
    OK... so i'm in san diego trying to get into this SS thing and i've been trying to get my hands on a monocog. unfortunately, i have to wait at least another 3 weeks for the LBSs to get the '05s in stock and the '04s are all gone (at the 2 shops i checked). for a little less, i can get a solo one either online or from a LBS w/in a week. i'd like to hear y'all's opinion on these 2 bikes compared. Thanks!

-k
    I have an '02 Monocog, but have checked out the KHS. The soft-tail design had me skeptical about it's durability, etc. Did have nicer parts than the Monocog though. I came from the steep head angle hardtail days of MTB's, so I love the Redlines geometry. It works very well with a 100mm fork. I can attest to it's durability. I have beaten the piss out of mine (it is my only bike now) and it hasn't even whimpered. Paint held up like crap, but oh well...I got it for $250 on E-bay. The only complaint I have is no disk brake tabs on my Monocog. Kinda wish I would have held out for the newer version.

minister of chaos
    Quote Originally Posted by kennon

-k
    I've got a 19" monocog in the classifieds. $200 complete.

http://tinyurl.com/5wbvr
    Frank Tuesday
    minister of chaos
    franktuesday.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

... and if we just ...

Get a Monocog Flight frame set, along with the redline/alex wheelset. then just slap on some parts, either new or used, and it will be light, and your own creation. your LBS should be able to sell you the frameset for about $200-250, and the wheelset from $80-100.

Steamroller

I'd give the Solo-one the edge

I have owned both an '03 Monocog and an '04 Solo-one and I liked just about everything better on the Solo-one. I liked the redline OK, the Solo-One is just a nicer bike with a step up in quality of most components, better geometry and regular MTB width hubs.

My Monocog was the chromoly one, I believe the flight is the aluminum one. IMHO that is another stike against it, I think an SS bike should be either steel or titanium. Aluminum is OK for FS bikes where all the flexing happens in the suspension. There are some burly durable aluminum frames that are plenty strong and make good SS bikes, like a Santa Cruz Chameleon, but I doubt the Flight is in that league.

Here is my Solo-one, to be replaced in a few weeks by a Waltworks SS 29r, in steel of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Code Burr
    Hows the solo one help out with the lower back issues?
    I cant ride my ss longer then an hour without risk of exploding back pain.

an eagle in your mind
    Aug 2004
    i think that back pain has more to do with fit than anything else... though the rear isnt exactly like a plush 3/5" rear travel on an FS... it softens short drops a bit.. and looks cool.. for what its worth, i dont have any back problems ?

Steamroller

I'd concur with Redfooj

Quote Originally Posted by thebronze
    Hows the solo one help out with the lower back issues?
    I cant ride my ss longer then an hour without risk of exploding back pain.
    If your back is hurting it is more likely a fit/set-up issue. I had a bit of low back pain after the first ride with the H-bars, just because it was a slight position change, It's OK now. If the pain is caused by small bumps and you would have it on a geared hardtail as well, then the soft-tail does take the edge off with no noticeable loss in climbing or accelerating performance.

It may be different with different people, but I've notice lower back pain when my reach was too short.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big