KHS Solo One-Any Thoughts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. KHS Solo One-Any Thoughts?

Has anyone owned or tried this soft tail SS? I wonder about chain tension with the 1" of rear travel the soft tail frame allows. Looks like a decent low cost way to try SS for a newbie such as myself.

Thanks!

Russ

I like to ride bikes!

Its okay but....

I bought one for my wife over a year ago, its okay for the money but if you spend a few hundred more you will have a much better bike.
    The chain tension is not effected by the susp. Overall the susp. works well, it kinda feels like your running a bigger tire than you really are. The rear tire clearance is fair at best. The parts are low qual. and the "shock" can squeek if you dont grease the hell outta it.
    I would say save your money and buy a Kona Unit, a Surly 1x1 or a Bianchi SASS.

Just my .002

Master of the Obvious

Good job! Solo-one .....

My take on the Solo-One, I bougt one in may 2003 to use as a training method for racing,
    It was my first SS. By the end of the season my $$$ Geared Klein was hanging on the wall and I was racing and riding it 24-7. The Sus has no affect on chain line, It could use better Headset, BB & stem but all are servicable. In 2003 I was bitten by the SS bug swearing never to go back to gears, In 2004 the bug got bigger Now I ride My rigid Surly KM And I swear I will not go back to gears or 26"

P.S. I still have The Solo-One It is on the wall where the Klein used to hang, I will Ebay it in the spring. Or Make me an offer now.....
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for the input.........

.......I have been lurking about in this and the 29er forum since I got the SS bug. The KHS doesn't have disk tabs on the frame and that's a problem for me. Also been considering the Karate Monkey and the new Fisher Rig.

I'm still reading & researching the boards and will probably make a decision soon. I love my 26" full sus'er but a SS WILL be my next bike.

Russ

an eagle in your mind
    Aug 2004
    i like mine

only complaint is that rear suspension squeaks but fixed it with some lubricant

why would anybody need disc brakes on the rear aside for aesthetic reasons?

my fronts are 2.4 and there is more room. rear can fit a 2.2... if you need more than that why not just go full suspension?

never seen a headset on any bike fail or cant live with stem cuz of flex or whatever. works perfect for me. w hatever

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why Have Disks???????

Quote Originally Posted by redfooj
    i like mine

only complaint is that rear suspension squeaks but fixed it with some lubricant

why would anybody need disc brakes on the rear aside for aesthetic reasons?

my fronts are 2.4 and there is more room. rear can fit a 2.2... if you need more than that why not just go full suspension?

never seen a headset on any bike fail or cant live with stem cuz of flex or whatever. works perfect for me. w hatever
    Well as for me, being a large person at 6'3" @ 240 lbs. I need all the braking power I can get!

an eagle in your mind
    Aug 2004
    braking performance in the rear is limited by traction -- tire & surface... not brake & braking surface

mtbr member

Solo-one is underated...luv mine..

Ive been on it for about 2 months now. The " shock " does need lube often to keep it running smooth and the v-brake only rear could be a bother but its not that big-a-deal. This is definitely a xc frame so doing big jumps or drops would not be a good idea.
    I put a manipoop black 100mm w/ lock-out on and avid mech disc. I changed the hbar to A Planet X goliath bar (28" wide) and a Planet X stem( a little shorter with more rise. I also changed the seatpost to a Thompson Elite and changed the seat. I also got rid of the bash guard and dropped the cring to a 32 and put a 23t White Freewheel on.
    The tires are 2.3 Conti-Vertical pros and i switched the front wheel to a Cane Creek Cronos prototype with Ti spokes 28 radial laced.
    It sounds like i spent alot but most of the parts were laying around the hse anyway.
    It is a fun good handling bike.