KHS Solo One- Mtbr.com

Thread: KHS Solo One

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

KHS Solo One

Just got my first new single speed and I love it except for the creaking noise from the softail shock.My dealer said it has to break it, but I've already put 30 miles of single track on it and it still creaks!! Anybody having the same problem?

Pull my finger...
    Jan 2004

Creaky Solo-One

Quote Originally Posted by jnapoli3
    Just got my first new single speed and I love it except for the creaking noise from the softail shock.My dealer said it has to break it, but I've already put 30 miles of single track on it and it still creaks!! Anybody having the same problem?
    Hey man, I feel yer pain. Mine started creakin this summer...and what a noisy bike it is! Unless I'm on smooth pavement, mine is creaking non-stop. Although I haven't tried to trace it, I think mine is coming from the bb/chainstay area and not the shocky-thing itself. Don't know if it's serious or not, and I really don't care as when I get my GF Rig over the winter months, the KHS will be turned into a dust collector/going to the corner store and get milk bike.

DobeManSS

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Sqeeeky clean

I had the same problem and its gonna make noise for a bit. I have about 70 miles in 3 rides and the noise has gone away but I also did some obvious maitnece to get rid of it.

Lube with a grease not oil on the contact area that the shock moves under the rubber seal. And them move the rear shock by sitting and moving the shock...then wipe off all excess grease.

Also keep it clean...wipe that area off after rides to keep the seal smooth and as much juck out as you can...

Also check the two bolts that connet your rear shock every once in a while for looseing which you should actually feel before you hear.

Hopefully everything works out from there

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the info and that's what I've been doing. Hopefully the creaking will stop after another 30-40 miles. Otherwise it's a sweet ride. Have a good one!

mtbr member

lithium grease works wonders

Mine was so bad that i could feel it binding. I unscrewed the cap packed it with white lithium grease,tightened it back( lightly hand tight). I also spray a little silicone on the rubber bushing occasionally.
    This immediatly took care of my problem and its quite/smooth and is a very nice ride.I think overall this bike is very underated.
    Heck i sold my RM7 cause this bike is so much fun....
    Someone asked me why i am now riding only my ss and i replied "because i can"..
    Im also getting ready to sell my last geared bike..a Jamis Komodo built up as a semi-burly trail bike....
    Now i will only have 2 singlespeeds..the Khs and a Monty 220 Hydra....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    did only white lithium grease work? how about other types of grease?

Quote Originally Posted by thadthetroll
    Mine was so bad that i could feel it binding. I unscrewed the cap packed it with white lithium grease,tightened it back( lightly hand tight). I also spray a little silicone on the rubber bushing occasionally.
    This immediatly took care of my problem and its quite/smooth and is a very nice ride.I think overall this bike is very underated.
    Heck i sold my RM7 cause this bike is so much fun....
    Someone asked me why i am now riding only my ss and i replied "because i can"..
    Im also getting ready to sell my last geared bike..a Jamis Komodo built up as a semi-burly trail bike....
    Now i will only have 2 singlespeeds..the Khs and a Monty 220 Hydra....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I would take a serious look for cracks in this area, a friend of mine's KHS softail cracked in exactly this position. KHS warrantied it no questions.

mtbr member

anything is prolly ok...

it is not really high-tech...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    UNSCREW THE SHOCK AND LUBE IT UP WITH A GREASE, IT WILL GO AWAY OVERNIGHT.