Keep Rig or upgrade Monocog?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Keep Rig or upgrade Monocog?

I just picked up an 06 Rig for a ridiculously low price. I only bought it because it was so cheap and I intended on using some of the parts to upgarade my Cobia and Monocog. It is a pretty sweet bike though and now I'm debating on whether to keep the Rig whole and sell the Monocog or to use the Rig's wheels as an upgade for the Monocog and the Reba fork as an upgrade for the Cobia and sell the rest of the Rig. The eccentric bb looks to me like more of a hassle than horizontal dropouts and I do like the Monocog rigid the way it is. I haven't taken the Rig offroad yet but plan on doing so soon. In the meantime I'm just curious as to what you guys think. I know its personal preference but I'm interested in my fellow bikers' opinions.

a) Keep the Rig and sell the Monocog

b) upgrade the Monocog with the Rig's significatly lighter wheels and enjoy

mtbr member
    Ride the Rig at least 5 times than decide.
    If you ain't first, you're last...

-Ricky Bobby

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i love my Rig, but i think its all about the fit of the frame.

ride the Rig, and see how it feels. keep the one(s) that feel best!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVJon75
    The eccentric bb looks to me like more of a hassle than horizontal dropouts and I do like the Monocog rigid the way it is.
    For me, the EBB is a deal killer, but I'm grouchy that way - I hate noise and fussing with high-maintenance widgets. I'm sure some people are very happy with theirs, but every time I read the words "Gary" and "Fisher" in the same sentence, someone's having EBB issues, a cracked frame, or both. I love my Monocog, but would really love it with some lightweight wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    but all you hear from Rig owners is the people who have complaints. People who aren't having problems don't post to the "my EBB sucks" thread.

mine has been great. I just pull it a few times/year and grease it up. no squeeks.

also, you can get a delrin replacement EBB that is only 200g, instead of the 300g stock one, that won't squeek at all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

I love the EBB

Fisher sold a lot of Rigs and there will be a few problems. I have been riding the Purple Rig for two years and have not had any problems with the frame. The EBB does squeak when not maintained, but greasing the heck out of it is the key.

I have three singlespeeds (horizontal, Eccentric bottom bracket and White Ind eccentric hub) and I prefer the EBB.

The moncog is a good bike but I feel the Rig is a better bike.

awesome
    keep both if you like both, nothing wrong with having 2 bikes, especially if they're that different (steel/alu, rigid/squishy)

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Godless Communist
    For me, the EBB is a deal killer, but I'm grouchy that way - I hate noise and fussing with high-maintenance widgets. I'm sure some people are very happy with theirs, but every time I read the words "Gary" and "Fisher" in the same sentence, someone's having EBB issues, a cracked frame, or both. I love my Monocog, but would really love it with some lightweight wheels.

i know a lighter guy who snapped a monocog frame through xc riding/racing use. so redline has their issues as well.

the ebb on my rig clicked, then i greased it, then it clicked no more. my frame hasn't cracked. i would hesitate to call something that requires fime minutes of care once or twice a year "high maintenance".

rip the line
    Jun 2006
    the rig is the best. I have had the monocog flight and found the rig to handle better

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetrider
    the rig is the best. I have had the monocog flight and found the rig to handle better
    Interesting report. Did you get them in the same size? They require very different stem lengths for a given fit. Handling geomtry when using the stoch forks is also very different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    i know a lighter guy who snapped a monocog frame through xc riding/racing use. so redline has their issues as well.

the ebb on my rig clicked, then i greased it, then it clicked no more. my frame hasn't cracked. i would hesitate to call something that requires fime minutes of care once or twice a year "high maintenance".
    Let's not take things so personally. I said in my post that, "I'm sure some people are very happy with theirs," and I acknowledged that I'm grouchy about maintenance.

Do a search and you'll find plenty of posts about cracked "Gary Fissures" and problematic EBBs. Since the OP was soliticiting input, those issues are relevant, as is your anecdoctal incident regarding a Monocog.

Must every legitimate criticism turn into a battle?

banned
    The Redline is a BETTER bike. In all ways.

The Redline rides BETTER than the rig. If someone thinks it doesn't, then they ride like a fresh born kitten.

The Redline rides FASTER BETTER than the rig. If you disagree, see above.

Did I mention that the rig sucks butt? Well... it does.

Ride the Redline and throw the rig in the dumpster. It was priced accordingly.

rip the line
    Jun 2006
    Colossus, You're a bit of a wank, but probably lovable in your own way.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by dblspeed
    keep both if you like both, nothing wrong with having 2 bikes, especially if they're that different (steel/alu, rigid/squishy)
    i second this...and if keepin em both isn't an option,keep the one that rides the best for you,and use the parts where you like.i recently "horse traded" around and got another bike off a buddy just to get the 100mm fork back that i'd sold him,wuz gunna part it out on some other projects,but decided to put it's stock fork back on it (which i had) and just keep it as a spare bike (like i needed another one of those ).my wife says that one can never have too many shoes,i told her it's the same w/ bikes

Members who have read this thread: 0