Karate Monkey or On-One 29er- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    170

    Karate Monkey or On-One 29er

    I've decieded to try SSing again. I tried a 1fg with a judy tt fork and the bike beat me up. I want a winter bike and run runabout. There just isnt much on the board for sale.

    IM 5' 10" with a 32 inseam so IM guessing around a 24" effective TT. I want steel and disc compatable.

    Both frames are around the same price with the On-One maybe a pound lighter. Help me choose.

  2. #2
    AOF
    AOF is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    743
    I'm contemplating which one as well

    White or Black/Brown?

    They both cost around the same, except the KM comes with a rigid fork, whether you use it or not, is still nice to have.

    -dan
    My LBS

    Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,855

    Discs or V-brakes

    I know that both of them have the capability to run either type of brake but I think the On-One will be easier to deal with if you're planning on running disc brakes. That would be my deciding factor. That said, I'm 5'10" tall and am running V-brakes on my new 18" KM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by jtompilot
    I've decieded to try SSing again. I tried a 1fg with a judy tt fork and the bike beat me up. I want a winter bike and run runabout. There just isnt much on the board for sale.

    IM 5' 10" with a 32 inseam so IM guessing around a 24" effective TT. I want steel and disc compatable.

    Both frames are around the same price with the On-One maybe a pound lighter. Help me choose.
    Preliminary weighing on our "big" scales suggest our frame is exactly the same weight as the KM in an 18in size. That is - our 18in frame weighed 2.6kg on our scales. I don't know what a KM would weigh on our scales - but that's what they say it weighs.

    I know how to drop around 100g (1/4lb) from our frame - with our new (unreleased) aluminium dropouts that we're offering later in the year.

    At 5'10" you're taller than Nat from the 29er board who's running an 18in frame. He's only 5'9".

    We are offering the frames for $444 shipped free within the USA.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    170
    2.6kg is about 5lb 12oz. I thought you sent me a reply that the on-one frame weighed 4.8lbs

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by jtompilot
    2.6kg is about 5lb 12oz. I thought you sent me a reply that the on-one frame weighed 4.8lbs
    Projected/planned/hoped for - 4.8lb sounds lovely.

    As it is, honest weight, on our big scales is 2.6kg - the same as KM.

    I can take 15% off for a brochure weight if it'd help.

  7. #7
    King Pin
    Reputation: xrmattaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,247

    Wink Buncha

    I'm currently prepared to order several On-One twenty niner frames......just as soon as I find out "how to do".

    The list is growing.

  8. #8
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,420
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    At 5'10" you're taller than Nat from the 29er board who's running an 18in frame. He's only 5'9"
    Only 5'9"! *ahem* I'm 6'0" when I don't comb my hair!

  9. #9
    Cracker-magnon
    Reputation: gpsser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Only 5'9"! *ahem* I'm 6'0" when I don't comb my hair!
    Hey Nat, I assume you are going to have it at BC? I am about the same height and wouldn't mind giving it a short spin to see how it feels.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

  10. #10
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,420
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    Hey Nat, I assume you are going to have it at BC? I am about the same height and wouldn't mind giving it a short spin to see how it feels.
    You bet. If I make it to BC then anyone who wants to try it may. When is it anyway?

  11. #11
    Cracker-magnon
    Reputation: gpsser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    You bet. If I make it to BC then anyone who wants to try it may. When is it anyway?
    I think it is the last weekend of October.... Sparty? shiggy? When is the official notification coming?

    edit: found this on the DoD website about halfway down...
    http://www.disciplesofdirt.org/events.htm

    Barbie Camp '05

    That's right, Oct. 28-30, the finale to an excellent biking year will be celebrated!

    Join in for another great gathering in Eastern Oregon! You can get a brief look at what's to come by checking out the front page of this site.
    Last edited by gpsser; 09-14-2005 at 07:56 PM.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.