Just went SS! Love it!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Just went SS! Love it!

Check out my new ride! Redline monocog 29er! Picked up this gem last week at a lbs. Haven't touched my geared ride since! I love the singlespeed feel so far! No bouncing chain, no derrailuer hitting or jamming, no worrying about what gear to shift to next.

The 29er feel is awesome as well. Little slower on tight stuff but it feels great. The tires on my latest 26er just look small and spindly now and it feels tiny after riding my 29er.

Riding everything stock except pedals of course. Picked up some shimano spds for twenty bucks on ebay new and they feel good. Don't think i'll be going back to my geared bike much. May see how much i ride it this season then either convert it to ss or sell it and deck out my 29er.

I actually like the rigid feel too. Feels solid and light! May beat me up on my longer rides but i'm young i can handle it. I'm diggin this bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just went SS! Love it!-downsized_0416001307.jpg  

Expert Crasher
    looks good!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    Nice ride, man!!

I know just how ya feel, I went SS last week and I've been loving it!! All my regular trails are a new challenge. I converted my Rockhopper 26er and now I've been thinking of getting a 29er. LOL That's bikes for ya...
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you are now cool.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    I also know how you feel. Several years ago I went from a 1x9 to a 26" SS and loved it. I just built a 29er this year. What a difference, you roll over alot of stuff with 29" wheels.
    Welcome. Nice ride.

mtbr member
    I'll re-post this to give you a warning of things to come:

The Ten Phases of Singlespeeding

1. Build your first singlespeed -- inspired by others riding SS, you either convert an old bike or buy an entry level SS to get the flavor.. Ride it, ***** about how hard it is getting up the hills, think about where to ride next. Lather, rinse and repeat...

2. Upgrade madness -- the weight weenie / blinglespeed side takes over and you suddenly develop a need to upgrade. A combination of an empty bank account, an upset significant other or a weight weenie part failure ensues. You have parts shipped to work, so the wife won't see the bike parts you ordered. You start looking for ideas (like the MTBR SS forum) to further your obsession of the perfect SS. (note to Jenny: I didn't have any parts shipped to work)

3. Gear ratios - your brain becomes obsessed with determining the optimum gear ratio for the upcoming race or given terrain. You temporarily lose focus on just riding and being one with your bike. Your library of forks, chain rings and cogs/cassettes starts to rival the selection at Supergo or Webcyclery.

4. Realization - the entry level SS no longer is good enough. You convince yourself you need a better bike -- custom, SS specific, whatever..

5. Purism - you realize that you're almost exclusively riding your SS. Your other bikes are collecting dust. Under your breath, you sometimes mock others riding gears and work your butt off to one-up them. You use your SS as a tool to brag or as an excuse / handicap (I geared too stiff for the course...) Start hating RockShox and Shimano just on principle, and start thinking rigid forks and DH tires are the better setup.

6. Laziness - you go out and upgrade to a "proper" SS. Now that you it, the upgrade and gear ratio obsessions are fulfilled. You get lazy, and start trashing your bike without taking care of it. You forget about checking tire pressures, chain tension, broken teeth and don't even consider about the consequences. A wonderful delusion, until the bike leaves you stranded 5 miles from your car, and your cell phone has no signal deep in the woods...

7. Heresy - ride your SS so much, that when you ride your geared bike, you miss your SS. You take it one step further and actually sell off the geared bike(s) that you previously couldn't live without.

8. Fight club - start putting beer in your water bottles, grow some unusual facial hair (for the men), dress like a freak, and acquire the attitude that you don't give a **** about racing or beating the gearies. Riding a pink colored bike frame or wearing orange socks with your Birkenstocks to a bar after the ride doesn't even click to you as being strange.

9 (optional) Scorching - as if SS'ing isn't fringe enough, start thinking http://www.63xc.com is an interesting alternative. Give it a go, maybe even get hooked.

10. Approach martyrdom - actually leave the clique by riding so much that few buddies can keep up with you. You become one with your bike. You simultaneously learn a level of humbleness and let your results speak for themselves.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    ^^^

The singlespeeders 10 step program?

Hi my name is Robb and I'm a singlespeeder.
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

29 and Single
    Oct 2009
    Hi Robb!
    Some days you eat the bar, some days the bar eats you.

You know my steez...
    alobbesta, nice bike! Congratulations!
    donmeredith74, awesome post. I'm on #2
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks I love this bike I can't stay off it! Was going to buy a cheap dawes deadeye or motobecane off bikesdirect.com but glad I went with this bike for a little more! No regrets
    Jimmy for president!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Don-
    You are a legend.
    Favorite post.
    Should be Stickied.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alobbesta
    Thanks I love this bike I can't stay off it! Was going to buy a cheap dawes deadeye or motobecane off bikesdirect.com but glad I went with this bike for a little more! No regrets
    Did your bike come spec'd with the Nevegals? I just ordered a Monocog from a LBS and am curious which tires it will come with.

mtbr member
    I wish I could take credit for the steps... I'm just re-posting it. I liked it so much I swiped it from the forums and posted it on my blog. Frighteningly accurate!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    yep nevegals come stock. They feel a little heavy but i don't have any experience with 29ers so what do i know? works for me
    Jimmy for president!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nevs work great for Utah terrain, so that will be a bonus... I can't wait for it to come in...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donmeredith74
    I'll re-post this to give you a warning of things to come:

The Ten Phases of Singlespeeding
    Wow, the rules fit, but I am not much for order. I got my SS just over 2 weeks ago.

I started on step 4, working on step 3, pushing step 2 back as long as possible.

Step 5 check, step 7 is underway, I have already loaned my geared ride to a friend, and step 8 is already underway with the pink.

I am already considering turning my geared bike into a SS supercross ride when it comes back!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nice ride!Are you stuck on it?
    Jimmy for president!

Members who have read this thread: 0