JUST a SINGLE speed??- Mtbr.com
    ~~~~~~~

JUST a SINGLE speed??

Who here owns only a SS as their sole mountain bike and where do you live?

Why?
    Ups?
    Downs?

I'm thinking about selling my FS to supplement the purchase of said SS. I've got other reasons too.......but what are yours?

conjoinicorned
    i say don't sell the FS, and build a cheaper SS.

i have a couple FS bikes, and a couple SS rides. the SS get ridden more, but there are days when i'm freaking glad i have the FS bikes around
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

igoslo
    I've only got the SS and it's been that way for almost three years now. I live in Phoenix, home of miles and miles of rough trail.

Why?

I like my SS and don't feel I need another mountain bike.

Ups?

Yeah, I do OK. If they get really steep I get off and walk.

Downs?

Hell yes, rock the downs. I'm all about gravity. No big drops of course, but I'm kind of a wuss that way.

mtbr member
    Riding my rigid SS is very hard for me (even though I do enjoy it a lot), and I find the geared FS allows me to still enjoy the ride, but with less impact to my body/muscles. I also road ride and find that road riding is even better for a specific workouts (intervals, recovery, sprints, climbs, etc).

If I was young (I am almost 45), I might consider using the SS only, since young bodies can take far more abuse and recuperate much faster.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    I own 3 MTBs, all rigid SS or fixed gear. I started out riding in Northen California, live in Utah now, and have ridden SS in many places in the West.

Why? Geared bikes bore me. After years of riding SS, the thought of adding all that extra crap just to ride the 1% of terrain I still can't clean riding SS just doesn't appeal.

Ups? Challenging.

Downs? None unless you like to ride long, flat roads or are afraid of hard work (or have physiological issues that just don't jive with SS riding).

I've broken one of those!
    My SOUL mtb is a rigid SS. I ride/race in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.

Why?
    It's freedom. No derailleurs to adjust, fork/shock to adjust, nor shifting to fret over. Just a boy and his bike in the woods.

Ups?
    I do pretty alright. I pass more nice people that way.

Downs?
    I like those too. No brakes = More mo'!
    "It's not his fault that he's an adorable, unstoppable killing machine."

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    As ferday, I would keep the FS and try to get a cheap SS to start with...

They can both be fun... just in different ways

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Smile

I recently purchases my first mountain bike, and it is single and 29er. I was already a roadie and liked the idea of a single because of the simplicity. It was a little scary dedicating a thousand dollars considering I had never ridden a 29er or a single speed, but I haven't regretted it a bit. At this point I don't think I would ever need gears, and I split my time between Nashville TN and East TN. East TN has a lot more elevation changes but I love the challenge. I wouldn't recommend getting rid of your FS unless you really don't like it for other reasons besides just wanting the single. Options are always cool.
    -B

Harrumph
    Since I moved away from CO I've been in areas where a dual suspension bike simply makes the limited trails in the area easy. I look for challenging trials, why make them easy?
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Both my mtb's are rigid singlespeeds. They both used to be geared hardtails, and I might put a suspension fork back on one someday, but they are both singlespeed.
    I live in Connecticut; tight twisty single track, roots and rocks, lots of steep ups and downs, but nothing very long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have a SS and a gearie. Both now have front suspension. I found out the first time I raced it that I could hang with just the singlespeed but not riding full rigid against people with suspension. The buck shaver got a suspension fork as soon as I could find a decent one to fit. It's much more fun now. There are lots of tree roots here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    i say don't sell the FS, and build a cheaper SS.
    +1

Unless, of course, you think you can borrow a FS bike every time you need one (really long rides in steep stuff, trips to skeggs or demo, etc)

Nat
    mtbr member
    As for mtb's, I only have singlespeeds. I like how they feel. The last time I rode a geared FS it felt squishy and stupid. I wouldn't rule out a geared mtb though if it were the right one and I had a place I felt it were beneficial. My roadie is geared, and I'm building a geared rambler.

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    new england(my local area has very few long climbs or descents) for the past 3 years its been ss only. and for the last year fully rigid only... i ride alone 90% of the time so i don't worry about keeping up with people. although a few times a year i do group rides and the longer and more technical the downhills the tougher it is to keep up with the squishy's, but that's about 3 times a year and it's not worth it for me to have a bike that will only get ridden those 3 times.
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member
    2 FS and 1 SS for me. I find that I am riding my SS more and more these days. Like the challenge of the climb. But when I do go on longer rides w/ grueling climbs w/ buddies, I do tend to gravitate towards my FS bikes w/ gears. Living in Southern California, I find that having a FS w/ gears surely doesn't hurt.

ali'i hua
    2 ss's only here. one 26 wheeled and the other 29 wheeled. both squish front ends.
    ups? steep ones here in socal. make them just fine (when in shape)
    downs? heck yes! it's fun to pass guys on squishy bikes on the downs

I've been only a sser now for over two years.

FS? yes. there is one in the werx. its a 29er. it'll be built soon. :sneaky:

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My only MTB is a rigid SS, built off the $45 Nashbar frame. I'm primarily a commuter, and until this winter, my sole ride was a Kona Jake. Got tired of riding pavement on weekends after doing so 4-5 weekdays too, so decided to build my own MTB on the cheap. I ride in the DC area, as well as NJ. Figured this'd be a good way to get into the sport- cheaply and with a minimum of hassle/maintenance, witht he understanding that maybe if I go crazy for MTB'ing, I'll be buying a new bike down line to handle whatever I build up to, whether it be front susp, full squish, geared, etc.
    I mostly ride on my own, so I have no one to worry about keeping up with...

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    3 mtn bikes
    They all had lots of gears once, now they have one, some two, and one three.
    All have front suspension, the 3sp is fully suspended.
    White Mtns
    Ups for SS here is drivetrain maintenance or lack of it.
    Downs might be the ups that go on and on, but that's where the FS 3sp comes in handy with it's granny gear
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

Poorly Disguised Poser

Sort of...

I am down to 4 bikes right now. 2 rigid SS MTB, one SS road bike, and one geared road bike. I keep one road bike with gears for EXACTLY one reason...My trainer does not have variable resistance and I need gears to change speed (thereby changing resistance).

where do you live?
    Central Missouri.

Why?
    Because that is where my house is...ha ha...Why SS? because I like it. I started MTB with gears and was forever jacking with der. adjustments to keep things working smoothly. the grinding, and chain slap drove me nuts...so I simplified...this eventually bled over into my road bike...not because the shifting was giving me problems, but because no gears helped me to recapture what I love about cycling...that is for you to figure out for yourself.

Ups?
    As in hills? Yeah. we have many around here but few are longer than about a quarter mile, and the steepest is 16%...but most are around 8% and about 1/10 mile.
    As in good points about SSing? What is not to like? simple, quiet, smooth, direct. If you want to go fast, you really have to earn it...but more than anything SSing has taught me magnitudes about technique and conservation of momentum. I can ride with the same people that I used to ride with (they still use gears, and I don't)...they don't drop me unless they really try.

Downs?
    Again, Hills or downsides to SSing?
    Downhills are fun.
    Downsides? I see little point in entering road races anymore...I would get shelled I am sure. I don't think SS is my real reason for not road racing anymore...its more of an excuse to avoid something I didn't enjoy that much anyway. I still like TimeTrials though.

As far as FS and suspension of any sort...I personally don't care for it. This is pretty individual, but you may find that after SSing a while, you will also want to go rigid...it seems that many do. I am not sure why for others, but for me it was logical. I used to live to ride BMX (many years ago). We rode some crazy stuff, dropping off houses, jumping cars and such...never needed suspension (nor was it available)...so why get soft now?

Here is a vintage shot of a typical day on the BMX bike. I don't go this big anymore. This was a time in my life that I really enjoyed...riding rigid SS reminds me of those good times.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    Just SS here in northern NJ.
    Two 29er rigid mountain bikes, a Curtlo and a Karate Monkey, both with Jones bars, Ergon grips and BMX flats.
    My third bike is a SS IRO Rob Roy cross.road bike. I like roadie singlespeeds as much as MtB's. I like to coast.
    I do sometimes think about converting the KM to a multi gear. I'm a climber and sometimes miss clearing the really hard steep climbs. I'd probably almost never ride the KM if I did put gears on it.
    bruce boysen

~~~~~~~
    This is great stuff! for almost two years i had only a fixed/single speed (flip flop) road bike. i've had as many as 6 bikes (i've got 4 now) and when i went to riding one simple bike my life got simpler too. i think that is part of what i'm looking for again.

last may when i got a new FS bike again i was psyched, ibut i was also waiting for something to break- they always do. since then i've replaced rear der, shifter, shock, and the fork is going to need service soon enough. oh, and i've put three chains on that bike and a new BB. what a time and $$ sink FS mountain bikes can be. Still, its been way cheaper than the DH bikes i owned.

i live in norcal and i really don't need a FS or a geared bike for most of what's here. i'm thinking that i will start all rigid and then put a suspension fork on later. its not like this bike will be the first SS i've ridden, so i know what' i'm in for....i think.

i really like the idea of riding a big boy BMX. i loved the days in the little mountain town in colorado where i grew up when my buddies and i would build jumps and hit them all afternoon. i had a sweet schwinn.

i know that some rides are going to be harder (not a bad thing) and that sometimes i won't be able to keep up with my buddies, but I'm not too concerned about this. i'll go back to a FS again, but right now.....i'm ready to simplify. i need a little Thoreau in my life.....

mtbr member
    2 singlespeeds (26 and 29ers).. It's fun and simple, but kills me on those long drawn out inclines. I live in Austin..

Retro Grouch

Oh my, how many bikes?

2 SS mtb's, one squishy; one not. Two SS road bikes, one fixie; one not. 1 geary HT (7sp) with a rigid fork. These are not all my bikes, but more or less the ones that count.

1G1G, Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

I wear two thongs
    Ive got 2 bikes. Ones an 8" FR bike and the other is a Fully rigid SS. Really the only time the FR bike comes out is when its being hauled up by a lift or if Im riding a more FR oriented location near my house. I would say 85% of my riding is on the SS. I live in Upstate NY but the majority of the trails I ride are pretty flat. I dont miss having gears, any advantages I may have lost have been More than covered in the amount of money I saved in buying advil for all the drivetrain headaches I tended to have prior to switching to SS.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    I have one SS roadie, and one front squish SS/Fixed (flipflop) MTB

Harrumph
    A factor that I left out earlier is that to purchase a fork at the weight and performance I'd want...I'm spending a fair chunk of change. I would ride a ridged fork without grips or gloves before a flexy low/mid range suspension fork. I have complaints about my Zooch Marathon SL, and some Fox's...and those are 600$+ forks. My 60$ Surly 1x1 fork lives up to all expectations. It's hard to justify 10 times the price for not nearly 10 times the performance.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    A year ago I sold my Intense Spider for a Phil Wood KissOff and I have never looked back!

Why?
    I was bored with my bike and I got an incredible deal on the SingleSpeed.
    Ups?
    When I have been in shape, the SingleSpeed has been the most enjoyment I have had on a bike.
    Downs?
    SingleSpeed sucks when I have been out of shape.

PodiumEnvy

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    I ride my singlespeed 99% of the time. My FS bikes collected dust until I sold them. A handful of gearie hardtails have come and gone since -- aside from a test ride or two, they remain idle. They ae great for cannibalizing parts from -- current gearie is missing pedals, stem, one brake, saddle, and seatpost.

I've seen you ride... you'll be fine with only a SS.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    - Who here owns only a SS as their sole mountain bike
    I have only one mountain bike, a squishy SS. I've converted my old mountain bike to a SS commuter as well.

- where do you live?
    SF Bay Area

- Why?
    Midlife crisis! In addition to the frequently cited reasons, debunking one of the unquestionable (!) fact of life ("obviously needing the gears") has been an awesome feeling. A revelation! Simple is always better.

[At this point, I need to hold myself from mentioning the complexities that come with SS: vertical dropouts and chain tensioner issues; horizontal dropouts with EBBs, needing to adjust the seat; horizontal dropouts with chain tugs, needing to adjust the disk brake calipers (my case), etc. Somehow SS is still better...]

- Ups?
    Geared or SS, eventually the same weight goes to the same height; so the equal amount of energy is consumed (actually SS probably uses a tiny bit less, because of the less number of pedal strokes). Learning to pedal slower to sustain the energy output for long climbs may take some time.

- Downs?
    You may miss pedalling on some downhills. For example, going down on HW9 in Saratoga is a little less fun when the grade lessens. I could go at 38mph on my old geared mountain bike; I can hardly go above 30mph on my SS.

Ali

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnus
    It's fun and simple, but kills me on those long drawn out inclines. I live in Austin..
    oxymoron???

come to SoCal and we'll show ya "long and drawn out inclines".

I have 2 rigid SS's as my only mtb's. One 26", one 29". Both have sus. forks I can swap to for jarring rides. I sold a C'dale full-sus to finance my first SS

HW
    (ridden in Austin)

//PS - yo Diggler. June 16th. be there with knives OUT.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    i have 10 bikes,7 of which are assembled completes,1 is under construction (it's a nashbar mtn frame that'll be 1x7,rigid w/ 1.5" slix-my "rodie").
    out of the 2 i ride,1 is ss (monocog) and currently rigid,1 is geared (rocky mtn blizzard)ht.
    the monocog is my "goto" bike,usually for trails or road,unless i'm riding 1 specific semi-local area that's very hilly.a 100mm squishy is goin on the 'cog soon tho,as full rigid is harsh on the neck when ya broke it 6 years ago .
    i live/ride in south western viginia.
    the ups are less to maintain,sweet chainline,more efficient/less weight,makes me a stronger rider,the feelin of satisfaction i get when i clear a climb i didn't think i could or pass a geared rider.
    the downs are few...sometimes i'm in a hurry,sometimes i just can't climb it,and sometimes i jus don't feel like explainin it to one of my ridin buds
    besides,i desperately wanna BE single (lazy,non-supportive,unappreciative,smarta'ed and sexually stingy wife ),and that'd jus be cool,to be so single i ride a ss

~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood

//PS - yo Diggler. June 16th. be there with knives OUT.
    ummmm......where is there?? i only travel to do catered birthday events if the appropriate serving platters are provided......

i might be tempted to come down your way if the appropriate incentives are provided. of course, single track and beer are almost appropriate substitutes in my eyes. though june in SoCal might just be too hot for me and it can really take its toll on those serving platters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler

Why?
    Ups?
    Downs?

I'm thinking about selling my FS to supplement the purchase of said SS. I've got other reasons too.......but what are yours?
    I only own one mountain bike. It's a SS. I did have a geared hardtail but I didn't like it as much as my SS so when it came down to selling one I went w/ keeping the single. I live in western NC where we have the biggest mountains in the east. I was hesitant at going only single here because of the elevation changes but I'm confident I made the right choice. I'm stronger and faster this winter than I was last summer, mainly because I only ride one gear here. Basically you get used to it. Now when I borrow a geared bike I'm lost for awhile until I pick up that riding style again, which I never really cared for.

Why? Mainly because the single fit my riding style the best. I hate spinning on climbs, I enjoy the simplicity of one gear, I hate derailleurs (I'm a mechanic, I do it all day long), and I enjoy the weight savings of going SS.

Ups? Cost effective for me. I'm on a tight budget. I'd LOVE an AM ride but not going to happen this year. Don't have to keep up w/ an expensive drive train. I climb better than most people with gears, I keep up with most geared group rides - only the really fast guys can beat me consistantly.

Downs? The only time I miss having gears surprisingly isn't in the climbs, it's on the flats when I get blown away by geared bikes. I make up for it usually in other areas.

I'll always have a SS in my quiver, and it's very likely I won't really feel the need to a different kind of bike really. never say never though.
    My one says BRAP!

~~~~~~~

She's on the chopping block

So the geared bike will get posted on craigslist and ebay this weekend. if anyone is interested in a 2006 Trance 1, just let me know.....

Ty

Bend, OR
    My only mountain bike is a rigid SS. I live in Salt Lake City.

Why? Because I'm hardcore plus I spent all my money on it.

Ups? Have to be pretty ripped to ride it and not die

Downs? Have to be pretty ripped to ride it and not die.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    live in philadelphia and ride primarily in the mid-atlantic region, with some trips further north and some further south on the east coast.
    havent ridden a geared mtn bike since the mid nineties. currently have a rigid 26" SS and and rigid 29" SS. also ride a SS/fixed cross-check, bridgestone XO-2, and a geared road bike, plus oodles of misc bikes in the basement that dont get as much love(3spd, bmx, track, etc.)

mtbr member
    I like the Ying/Yang approach:

Specialized Enduro FS, and rigid SS.

G

highly visible
    Who here owns only a SS as their sole mountain bike? Not me! One of my mtbs (Vulture) is a singlespeed hardtail, one (Lenz Leviathan) is a geared FS, and one (Karate Monkey) is a commuter with a 3-speed hub.

And where do you live? Portland, OR. Lots of hills, lots of rain, lots of mud. Also lots of snow if you don't mind driving a little to get to it.

Why [SS]? 95% of my offroad riding the last few years has been SS. Performance in adverse conditions is one of the main reasons: simply put, SS drivetrains do well in our local conditions, and derailers do not. And at least offroad, I also like the point-and-shoot-simplicity of SS, and the riding style that it requires.

Why [not completely SS]? No need to limit myself. I'm no purist and have nothing to prove. I just like to ride. In most singletrack settings I prefer SS, but I also do a lot of doubletrack riding in terrain where gears work better for me. Also, I just bought the FS! I may still convert it to SS for winter riding.

Ups? I love how my drivetrain is quiet, efficient and dependable even if I didn't just lube the chain this morning. I love how riding an SS offroad makes me feel like I'm a kid on a BMX again. I love not adjusting derailers, I love not hearing squeaky chains and I love not having my chain skip because my cassette is packed up with mud or snow.

Downs? Although most of the singletrack around here is ideal for SS, my closest local riding area -- Forest Park -- is not. We have lots of short, very steep river-to-ridge climbs that are barely doable even with 34x22 -- all connected by a very long rolling lateral fireroad where 34x22 forces you to spin furiously. A lot of the responders to this thread would say be a tough guy and do it anyway. Which I have many, many times. But I've found that it's more way fun on my commuter 3-speed. And to me biking is about fun, not proving I'm a tough guy.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

simplespeed only

ss only in florida. monocog flight w/ 100mm up front. i used to ride geared and always fell for whatever crap the magazines and websites told me i should be using. i found it impossible to keep up with their never ending barrage of upgrades (none of which ever helped me to ride better, faster, longer, etc.). since going ss, i find that i don't need a thing. maybe it's not about the bike anymore, it's the rider. i find that when i encounter groups of riders milling about on the trail (usually discussing the best gear), i feel stripped down - there's no need to make much small talk when your bike's nearly naked (and ready for action). i just move along and let the riding speak for me (and try not to give them the satisfaction of hearing me breathe heavily). i was completely nuerotic about cleaning and maintaining my fs gearie. total ocd. there were just waaaay too many nooks and crannies. my simplespeed is a 20 minute clean, and that's only if i'm feeling particularly obsessed. sorry this may have not answered the question of ss only. maybe this should've been posted in why ss. well, i'm ss only, and i don't miss gears. do what makes you happy

mtbr member
    My only bike is a Rigid SS. Why? I love SSing and i'm too poor to buy a good FS with gears. I would like one though. Keep the FS and buy a cheap Single like Monocog or Mary or something. Craigslist can be your friend.
    There's always money in the banana stand.

mtbr member
    1spd = get on and ride, no thinking, no noise, nirvana ...

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Mc29

Why?
    Ups?
    Downs?

My bike was ooozing oil out the fork and I wanted something as a temporary MTB and as a commuter bike longer term. So I got a MC29. Turns out its so fun I still haven't sent off my fork to get repaired. So while it's not my only bike it's the only one that's usable right now. As summer rolls around and I start riding more technical trails in the Sierra Nevada then that might change. But right now I'm seriously thinking of getting a second rigid SS so I have a dedicated commuter and a dedicated MTB.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    My bike was ooozing oil out the fork and I wanted something as a temporary MTB and as a commuter bike longer term. So I got a MC29. Turns out its so fun I still haven't sent off my fork to get repaired. So while it's not my only bike it's the only one that's usable right now. As summer rolls around and I start riding more technical trails in the Sierra Nevada then that might change. But right now I'm seriously thinking of getting a second rigid SS so I have a dedicated commuter and a dedicated MTB.

Exclusively Single
    3 bikes, 3 gears. Mountain, cruiser, fixie.

I think I love the simplicity more than anything. And the added challenge.

Downs: there are times when it would be nice to have a higher or lower gear. But it's not really an issue, you just climb harder or spin faster. Either you can do it or you can't.

Ups: simplicity, less maintainance, less crap to break or go wrong on the ride, no having to constantly "tune" your drive train to keep it shifting/operating properly, no derailler jams from sticks and mud and such, no chain suck, no chain slap, more about riding-less about "operating", liberating, makes you a stronger rider that picks better lines.

But one could say that I'm biased.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    Just don't tell Jeff I got the "Cheapest Singlespeed out there".

Exclusively Single
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoGee
    I like the Ying/Yang approach:

Specialized Enduro FS, and rigid SS.

G
    wtf is ying?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have 2 geared ht's( one i call grandpa)

2 SS bikes with front suss. (one 26, one 29) I ride these 80% + of the time.

I wish I had a FS bike...just because!

Tim

75% Mountain cycle

It's been good for me....

This is my only fully functional bike and has been for 6 months or so. I've been through a few parts on it, several chains included. I do have a project in the works to upgrade to a higher end bike for a summer singlespeed. It will be my only bike as well.

After having had up to 4 bikes at a time (road, SS, XC, and Urban); having just one bike has simplified my life and supports my current desire to minimize the burden of having too many possessions.

I grew up on the Central Coast of California. I compare this need to simplify to the natural progression of many soul-surfers as move from complicated moves and equipment to the simple roots of surfing that originally got them out there in the ocean. Their “Longboard” to me is comparable to our Singlespeed.

I say go for it – sell it all. Build up a nice simple SS and get back to the riding that was the reason you started riding bikes back in the day; you know what I mean, back when you were four or five. It was fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Glad to see that MBO test ride didn't turn you off.

SS29er, not sure if a more perfect marriage exists in the mtb world.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Mr. Diggler -

Screw it - sell the squishy. I think you could get along on the trails around the SF peninsula without gears. However, if you plan to ride your new bike frequently, I'd suggest getting a fork. Lots of rough dirt miles + rigid fork = wrist, shoulder and elbow problems. Especially if you aren't doing much other upper-body strengthening.

Just get something with a lockout

SingleTrackSal

Simply...

This is great stuff! for almost two years i had only a fixed/single speed (flip flop) road bike. i've had as many as 6 bikes (i've got 4 now) and when i went to riding one simple bike my life got simpler too. i think that is part of what i'm looking for again.

last may when i got a new FS bike again i was psyched, ibut i was also waiting for something to break- they always do. since then i've replaced rear der, shifter, shock, and the fork is going to need service soon enough. oh, and i've put three chains on that bike and a new BB. what a time and $$ sink FS mountain bikes can be. Still, its been way cheaper than the DH bikes i owned.

i live in norcal and i really don't need a FS or a geared bike for most of what's here. i'm thinking that i will start all rigid and then put a suspension fork on later. its not like this bike will be the first SS i've ridden, so i know what' i'm in for....i think.

i really like the idea of riding a big boy BMX. i loved the days in the little mountain town in colorado where i grew up when my buddies and i would build jumps and hit them all afternoon. i had a sweet schwinn.

i know that some rides are going to be harder (not a bad thing) and that sometimes i won't be able to keep up with my buddies, but I'm not too concerned about this. i'll go back to a FS again, but right now.....i'm ready to simplify. i need a little Thoreau in my life.....

Somehow I don't think the big bike companies are going to dig hearing all of us chime in about simplifying.....but I love it!

Eric the Red
    Rigid 29er, 1 gear.
    Full suspension 26" hanging in garage, missing the parts used for building my girlfriend's single speed.

~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by jmkimmel
    Mr. Diggler -

Screw it - sell the squishy. I think you could get along on the trails around the SF peninsula without gears. However, if you plan to ride your new bike frequently, I'd suggest getting a fork. Lots of rough dirt miles + rigid fork = wrist, shoulder and elbow problems. Especially if you aren't doing much other upper-body strengthening.

Just get something with a lockout
    well i am getting "some" upper body exercise, but i think i am putting too much stress on my right arm....

anyway, i do think that a fork is good idea. i'm thinking maverick, or of course the Reba. I wish there were more options in 29er forks.

you faired really well last night on your SS- even after the chinese food. i have a new rule- no chinese food or garlic before any rides. horrible idea.

so, where am i going to get these beautiful middleburn cranks? they don't look like they are your basic performance bike shop item- haha

mtbr member
    Only MTB I own - 1 Black Sheep Highlight - 29er - SS only -
    1 Gunnar 29er - SS only
    The gunnar goes on the block this weekend. My Black Sheep is tooo much fun!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Good to see you over in this forum. My sole mountain bike is a 2000 Marin Eldridge Grade that I converted to SS last year. I rode for months in a just one of the 27 gears to make sure I wouldn't regret the decision.

Why? Because for I ride for fun and fitness, not to beat the clock or other riders. A ride that takes a little longer than expected is a good thing. My speed on the road ranges from 4 - 40, but on tight single track only 4 - 12, a speed range that can be covered by a single gear.

Ups? More time riding, less time tinkering. Rock solid drive train. Focus on the trail instead of my equipment. Yes, to be honest, it is fun every now and then to outclimb geared bikes.

Downs? Spinning out at 14 - 15 mph on road sections on the way to the trailhead. On road the single speed is kind of annoying, but on trail there hasn't been a moment of regret. Some of my climbs are tough on single speed, requiring a more strategic approach to clean instead of just gearing down and grinding up. I enjoy the challenge though.

Highly recommended, at least for around here - most single pitch climbs not tougher than 500' vertical @ 10%. Much steeper and longer might make a difference.

EXORCIZE

Downsizing to one bike, a SS

I've owned 5 nice bikes in the last year and have recently decided that my 29er SS will be my only bike. Why?

1) B/c I enjoy riding my SS more than any other bike and makes the others seem slow and unstimulating. Its super fast and efficient, especially uphill. I'm either as capable or moreso on all uphills except the very steepest ones (for now). I now love long hills and actually enjoying standing and mashing for 5 minutes straight - unthinkable before. Granted, I am only running 32/20 gearing, but ride lengths have gone from 10-15 miles to 20-30 miles and am getting in shape. I've never raced, but now it seems like a natural progression of my riding.

2) I hate sitting on uphills. IMO, mountain biking should be agressive and all out, not sitting and spinning on an expensive squishy. Attack!

3) Rear suspension (ugghh) seems so slow to me now, and I never could fully utilize a FS bike by doing significant jumps and hardcore downhills b/c I'm athletically challenged and daunted my serious jumps. "Aggressive XC" is where I'm at, so FS is mostly wasted on me. I thought being able to adjust my suspension front and rear would be the best compromise, but now I think otherwise.

4) Once my FS rigs are sold, I'm going to buy a 80/100mm suspension fork and swap it once a month or when need be - versatility without having two bikes.

5) A 29er steel hardtail with fat, high-volume tires at low PSI - you're half way to full suspension while retaining the climbing efficiency of a hardtail. Perfect for my kind of riding.

6) By windling it down to one affordable SS frame, I can, without guilt, purchase a nice tubeless wheelset (or high-end hydraulic brakes) and not sweat it, and make one gear even less of an "issue."

7) I've only had 10-15 rides on my rigid Mary, but I've never been passed and have never crashed. I've always been an average rider. Now everyone thinks I'm hardcore! The other day a kid who works in a bike shop met me on a trail and told me I was his hero.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

pewpewpew Moderator
    I ride my 29ss most of the time.

I'd like a 1x9 for those trails where some gear choices would make the diff between walking and riding. I also dislike SSing at altitude (tahoe, etc) so it woudl be appealing.

I still have a 26 inch FS racer x as my gearie alternative for right now. That is still a fun bike. Took it out the other day and just had a blast. So I think I will hang onto it.

I got enough love in my heart for all my bikes
    Love, Impy

Mexican Food Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAnMan
    I grew up on the Central Coast of California. I compare this need to simplify to the natural progression of many soul-surfers as move from complicated moves and equipment to the simple roots of surfing that originally got them out there in the ocean. Their “Longboard” to me is comparable to our Singlespeed.
    Dude, people move from shortboards to longboards when they get fat, don't let any of them try and convince you otherwise. Longboarders .

Anyway for me it was because when I was younger I worked in a shop and had a Ibis Szasbo, c-dale super V, pro-flex animal, and a little later a Specialized FSR. Needless to say I was a early adopter of full suspension, mostly because I could buy everything at cost. I always had something wrong with my bikes. I always had to worry about the fork, the rear shock, the drivetrain. It got old. I started riding singlespeed about 4 years ago with the surly 1x1 and now have a rigid SS Karate Monkey. I live in Southern California and won't lie and say that I never wish for gears. Like today I rode a place that has a 5 mile climb from the parking lot. Half way up I was thinking about making my bike a 1x9. Then I walked a little. My other bike is a geared cross bike, soon to go to SS as soon as the novelty of gears wears off. Its just fun.

meh... whatever
    riding a full rigid single speed makes it 1%bike, 99% rider.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    riding a full rigid single speed makes it 1%bike, 99% rider.
    Riding a rigid 29"er singlespeed makes it 29% bike and 71% rider.

J .
    mtbr member
    two bikes, both ss: one 29" hardtail mountain bike, other one "roadie" (commuter).

why: they're fun to ride! relatively simple and easy to keep clean and in working order.
    single speed bikes, single coil pickups.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    Riding a rigid 29"er singlespeed makes it 29% bike and 71% rider.
    um.... ok.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've only got 1 MTB; it's a Redline Monocog 19" frame (shoulda gotten the 21", probably), 26"'er. Pretty much gutted the whole drive train, replaced with all Surly parts...ah, that's better! Why? 1.)Because EVERYONE in Santa Fe, NM rides a geared MTB. Not too many SS's. 2.)Way tougher, way higher quality bike for the $$. UPs: See#2. Also, WAY more fun to ride. You can take this bike thru stuff that'd make a lot of geared bikes start puking...it don't care. (3.)I've never seen a factory MTB with such cool mojo, such as pagan pinstriping, like the '06 Monocog has. This also THE strongest bike I've ever owned, bar none.
    Downs:You've got these things called..."mountains" in Santa Fe. TALL ones, like 12,000ft. I CAN'T ride a lot of those trails on this bike. No way. I sure enjoy more the ones I can ride, though. The Monocog also makes a great around town bike...you can truly suffer, right in town, pulling hills. No need to drive somewhere to go suffer. You grind going up the hills, spin out like a fool going down 'em...you WON'T be bored, at any rate.You'll find yourself amazed at how much you can do with one friggin' gear.
    I see these people riding geared MTB's in flat places like Fla, and I feel like shouting out to 'em: "Why you need all those friggin' gears in a flat place like Florida, fool? Get a Monocog!" If you do get a SS, make sure you've got good knees. Try 32/18; it's a big relief from the standard 32/16, and you don't give up too much speed on the flats. My guess is, you won't even want a geared MTB after awhile.

Chronic 1st-timer
    I gots a fixed townie/cross, a SS 26" w/fork & a rigid SS 29".

May be looking to get some gears again............maybe.
    Last edited by lubes17319; 03-29-2007 at 09:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I put together a geared bike last night for a friend... SHeeze, what a pain, it hurt to put those derailers on 'n such...
    Bike Building and Painting

Crystavox Single Speed Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackSal
    Somehow I don't think the big bike companies are going to dig hearing all of us chime in about simplifying.....but I love it!
    the big bike companies should wise up and give us more than one SS specific frame/bike option!

I'd love to see more high end SS rigs out there straight out the box. How about a carbon specific ride?
    My one says BRAP!

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    the big bike companies should wise up and give us more than one SS specific frame/bike option!

I'd love to see more high end SS rigs out there straight out the box. How about a carbon specific ride?
    check out the new gf ferrous. silky steel frame that comes geared with really decent parts, but with an ebb so's you can slap some spacers on the wheel for some one gear fun.

the geometry and ride is literally identical to the old bonti privateer (for those of you who remember how great that frame rode!)

i'd love to see a carbon ss as well. it'd look pretty funky with an ebb...

Members who have read this thread: 0