Just ordered my first dedicated Single Speed- Mtbr.com
    USED2COULD

Just ordered my first dedicated Single Speed - Build PICS Added

Image borrowed from Sanderson Cycles website:

I literally minutes ago submitted my order from CRC to be shipped to Canada, the Soloist as pictured above with an EBB. I'll be building it up with a mix of things I ordered, and parts I have waiting for a home.

It will do primary duty as the work commuter machine, but I have a dozen pairs of 26" fat tires that I won't be able to resist throwing on for a trail ride.

I think my bike quiver will be well rounded once the SS is built up.

Looking forward to sharing build pics, and ride impressions.

Cheers

James
    Last edited by NS2000X; 05-16-2010 at 04:04 PM.
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Clean look, best of luck with your build.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    cool beans! looks good.

USED2COULD
    Thanks.
    I got the shipping confirmation today, but I expect it to take a week to cross the atlantic and be released by customs.

I'll post photo's in this thread when I get my grubby hands on it.
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    Nice frame. I had a Sanderson Life and regret selling it every time i think about building my new SS.

USED2COULD

Shipping Update

So she made it through the Volcanic Atlantic skies, and even cleared Canadian customs today. I'm hopeful to have my new frame by the weekend...
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member

Welcome aboard

Looks like a nice bike. I am building one myself..... a single speed that is. I have had some great ideas and suggestions from forum members. I will miss the excitement when the build is over. Singlespeeding is great for making you stronger and is fun for meeting folks who wonder......."how can u ride that out here on these hills" Have fun and ask....if u have ?'s
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

USED2COULD

It arrived!

Excuse my basement....

CRC Shipping Box:

Sanderson Frame Box:

The Frame - Size 18"

Frame Weight:
    This was a surprising disapointment, the Sanderson Cycles website lists the 18" frame as 4.8 lb's.

Even if Sanderson are playing games and not including the EBB shell in their frame weight, this would indicate the EBB components weigh ~0.8lb.

I wanted a butted cro-mo frame, so it is not like I was going for a weight weenie bike, but the disparity was alarming. I haven't emailed Sanderson yet. Will see what they say.

Some parts I ordered with the frame:

I already had:
    - Wheels
    - Tires & Tubes
    - Seat Post & Seat Clamp
    - Pedals
    - Chain
    - Brake Calipers & Hoses
    - Handle Bar & Grips

Complete:

Without the Garmin she weighs 24.34 lb's. I was expecting about a pound less than that, of which 0.8 lb it turns out was the frame alone.

Still on the maiden voyage I was pleased with how the bike rode, and the fork was pretty plush without being too bouncy. Hopefully the Ashima rotors don't turn out to be a mistake, but they were a great value buy.

I'll ride this bike as my commuter for the most part, but the setup (bar & fork) obviously lends itself to some trail work.

Currently it is setup 36:16 I think I need to go up to 36:14 for my commute.
    I was planning on getting two SRAM powerlinks ,and using some of my spare chain to "easily" switch the rear cog between ~14teeth, and 18teeth, to facilitate an easy switch to trail work.

I will replace the piece of black electrical tape where the rear brake cable rubs with some clear stuff. I was surprised at how close to the head tube Sanderson had placed the first cable guide given most people in the UK ride like I do with a Left Hand Rear Brake (I'm originally from the UK).

Looking forward to lots of singlespeed fun!

Cheers and thanks for looking.

James
    <Insert Quiver>

Members who have read this thread: 0