Just an observation, first time on the trails with my SS and.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Just an observation, first time on the trails with my SS and.....

1. I can't roll like a tank anymore like I could on my geared bike.
    2. I really need to work on my mountain biking skills. Finesse is my friend.
    3. Riding a SS is easier than a geared bike, that trail anyways.
    4. Riding a SS is much more fun than my geared bike.
    5. A hub with 24 POE on a SS sucks.
    6. I LOVE SINGLE SPEED MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!!

I am pretty sure I am officially a SS convert. I LOVE it!!!!! I look at my geared bike frame sitting there, in pieces...I have no desire to reassemble it. None.

Last edited by Nubster; 06-26-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Welcome to the club.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    welcome to the club man I converted all of my bikes to SS...
    Friends don't let friends ride geared bikes

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Cool. Yep..SS will make you a better rider imo too. While SS is a blast and new to you, there will be a time when you long for a geared bike again

It usually happens after a LONG ride where you went in geared too high. Not good...haha.

Enjoy!!
    Last edited by rydbyk; 06-26-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    SS kicks ass. And so will you in time. Your friends will think you are a God. I love it because: i'm a stand up kind of guy on the hills, i suck at adjusting anything with cables. Set your bike up with a mans gear, spinning sucks! 36/16. Gearing depends on where you live/ ride and whether you are a man or a muppet. Any single ratio is good. Enjoy. "Ride, smile and pedal Damn it"

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    two years ago i would have never dreamed i would be riding a ss, rigid, 29" but i love it...might go back to suspension and gears but never back to 26" feels like a kids bike

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Boyce Park?

HOV
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skibikeguy1 View Post
    two years ago i would have never dreamed i would be riding a ss, rigid, 29" but i love it...might go back to suspension and gears but never back to 26" feels like a kids bike
    Yup.

I was on a SS kick for a while but converted my MC Flight to a 1x9 and love it like that. (The XTR derailleur I had laying around made me do it). I ride it like a SS but occasionally click up or down a notch and it's nice to have the flexibility.

Gonna throw a fork on too. Now I have the choice of a SS HT and a 1x9 HT... but both are 29ers. 26" just doesn't feel right any more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOV View Post
    Yup.

I was on a SS kick for a while but converted my MC Flight to a 1x9 and love it like that. (The XTR derailleur I had laying around made me do it). I ride it like a SS but occasionally click up or down a notch and it's nice to have the flexibility.

Gonna throw a fork on too. Now I have the choice of a SS HT and a 1x9 HT... but both are 29ers. 26" just doesn't feel right any more.
    I'm going to build my John Henry as a 1x9 so I'll have that to scratch the geared itch. I still have my RockHopper too, but it's in pieces at the moment. I know how I am, if I have gears, I'll use them. I can't ride a geared bike like it's a SS...I don't have the self control....lol
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    Boyce Park?
    Are you referring to the pictures? If so, no, those are on the Third Battle of Winchester tails near Winchester, VA.

mtbr member
    The first thing I noticed when I started riding SS was how poor my line choice was. Having a FS made me sloppy. After spending a lot of time on my SS, my technique has improved dramatically. I can corner better, climb better, and (strangely enough) see better. My trail vision (for a lack of a better word) has improved most, I don't even consciously look at the trail anymore I just see and digest.

In any case, enjoy yourself.

HOV
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I'm going to build my John Henry as a 1x9 so I'll have that to scratch the geared itch. I still have my RockHopper too, but it's in pieces at the moment. I know how I am, if I have gears, I'll use them. I can't ride a geared bike like it's a SS...I don't have the self control....lol
    I'm (or hopefully I WAS) the same way. Always ended up in a granny gear spinning my way up hills, going nowhere fast.

Interestingly, what realy changed that equation for me was setting up my SS with gearing that was too low. I was used to riding 32/18 but I wanted to try 32/20 so I did it up. Man was that lame, I felt like I was just crawling around. Even climbing hills was no better because that gearing left me with too much leverage standing up but not quite enough sitting down, plus going up hills was so slow.

So I'm trying to keep that lesson in mind. Fortunately with my 1x9 setup, 32/18 is a really nice chainline so I hope to have the discipline to stay in that for the most part. I plan to use 32/16 as a way to get stronger, and 32/20 for those hills where I get stuck in trackstands/imminent fallover position on my SS.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Hey Nub,

Nice bike. Just an observation though...looks like the chain need a tiny bit more tension on it...

Maybe it is just the angle of the photo??

Anyhow...again, congrats and nice bike

mtbr member
    No, I think you are correct. It was tight when I started but it loosened up. I really cranked down on the slider bolts plus added split washers and blue lock-tight, still loosens up. I really hate to have to use a tensioner but not sure what to do to keep things tight. Ideas?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If your chain isn't falling off don't worry about it. A tight chain is not nessisary. You may want to hold the bike horizontal and pedal it by hand, if it falls off it needs to be a hair tighter. If you over tighten the chain you just put un needed stress on the BB bearings and freehub. Plus if your chain was new it will stretch a little bit.

mtbr member
    Well...I was having a problem on step climbs that resulted in a lot of torque from me causing the chain to skip on the chainring. I assume that's due to the looseness? It would pop and I could feel it skip a tooth or two. No chain drop however.

mtbr member
    I'd tighten that down more, I let mine get too lose and couldn't keep the chain on the cogs. You just gotta crank down on those bolts with a big ol' wrench to make sure they stay put. What hardware do you have back there?

mtbr member
    Stock that came with the frame with add split lock washers that didn't seem to help. Going to upgrade to some hardened bolts though cause these are already starting to round out. I shot an email to Peter just to see if he had any suggestions. Happened every ride so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Welcome, about time you showed up! LOL

singletrack bound
    you know you're a singlespeeder when all you worry about is if you have your rear wheel in straight (no rotor rub)

and if you're chain is properly tensioned!

welcome my friend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBM View Post
    Welcome, about time you showed up! LOL
    haha...better late than never, glad to be here.

Went for a ride this evening. Got cut short due to the chain getting loose. Before I left, I really cranked the bolts to the point that they started stripping. Anyways, it got to the point that the chain just kept skipping so that was that. I tried to tighten them up again trail side, but the size of the bolts must be some strange Canadian sizing because nothing on my Park tool would fit, and even at home, none of my metric or standard hex heads fit them well. So I'll head up to the hardware store tomorrow and see if they have some hardened bolts and change them out. Still waiting to hear from Peter as well. I have read that others have had issues with the diSSent, hopefully there is an easy solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    you know you're a singlespeeder when all you worry about is if you have your rear wheel in straight (no rotor rub)

and if you're chain is properly tensioned!

welcome my friend.
    Thanks, great to be here. Yeah, it is awesome to have a much simpler machine. Even though I am having some issues right now, it's still a much better feeling riding such a clean bike without so much junk hanging off of it...lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get an ENO hub for that Siren! Too nice of a frame to not ride SS.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    haha...better late than never, glad to be here.

Went for a ride this evening. Got cut short due to the chain getting loose. Before I left, I really cranked the bolts to the point that they started stripping. Anyways, it got to the point that the chain just kept skipping so that was that. I tried to tighten them up again trail side, but the size of the bolts must be some strange Canadian sizing because nothing on my Park tool would fit, and even at home, none of my metric or standard hex heads fit them well. So I'll head up to the hardware store tomorrow and see if they have some hardened bolts and change them out. Still waiting to hear from Peter as well. I have read that others have had issues with the diSSent, hopefully there is an easy solution.

Thanks, great to be here. Yeah, it is awesome to have a much simpler machine. Even though I am having some issues right now, it's still a much better feeling riding such a clean bike without so much junk hanging off of it...lol
    I got some Ti bolts with a standard head (5 or 6mm, think 6) and Ti washers on mine that seem to help. The Ti washers don't deform and suck into the slider channel as much as steel. I do notice some slight wheel shift occasionally but nothing as severe as you're describing and I tighten them with only the little three way park tool Allen.
    I also had to file out the channel from where the old washers dug into it, as it kept the bolts from moving in the slots. Hope this helps.
    Got my stuff from jerseycycles.com
    Not without incident.

mtbr member
    Got some Grade 8 hex heads today from Lowes. They are heaps better than that butter soft "metal" used for the stock bolts. I can really crank these down now that my driver actually fits and the metal is actually metal. But now I think I need new drop outs. These seem to be made from the same crap metal and it felt like one of the bolt holes started stripping as I was tightening the bolt. Peter hasn't gotten back to me yet either so that's frustrating. Maybe he's on vacation? I don't know...just hope this works or there's another solution other than buying a better designed frame.

ask
    user
    Nice! I picked up a SS a couple years back and have been loving it too. I still ride my geared squish bike when the trail calls for some rear travel/gears. But I ride my SS >50% of the time these days. The SS is just easier. Way less to worry about or fix vs my other bikes. I also find that (depending on the trail / race course) I am as fast or faster on my SS now. It has made me much stronger / better ride all around.

I am currently planning my next SS build... carbon frame / fork.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    I can't ride a geared bike like it's a SS...I don't have the self control....lol
    Same here.. I've tried and succeeded a few times, but I can't help feeling silly when I get off and walk a geared bike up a hill. At the bottom of the hill I tell myself it's either make it all the way up in the current gear or get off and walk, NO SHIFTING! ...halfway up the hill when I'm about to grind to a halt, I change plans and use the granny gear the rest of the way... On a single speed I get much further up the hill because I try much harder not to quit as quitting = walking.

It's all in the mind and riding geared without shifting just isn't the same as riding SS, on an SS you have no other options, on a geared bike you always have the option to "cheat"..

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr View Post
    Get an ENO hub for that Siren! Too nice of a frame to not ride SS.
    That would be a Misfit diSSent sir!

I just picked one up on fleabay for my girl...it'll be her first SS!

Great looking bike Nub...but don't get too caught up in trying to be a macho man and pushing gears like 36/16 unless your terrain absolutely allows it. 2:1 like a 32:16 (great for log rollovers that are very abundant in the VA/MD area) or 2:1+1 like 32:17. The important thing is keeping the chainring small around the 32T because of the log rollover clearance.

I would actually start out with a spinning gear and then increase your gear ratio as you become stronger and more efficient.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm rolling 32x20 at the moment and so far, for the most part, it's ok but just a little too low. I went ahead a ordered some new cogs that I caught on sale (singleworks) so now I will have 17-20 to play with.

Welcome to the darkside. Now, get drunk.

Members who have read this thread: 0