Just got back from Arkansas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Just got back from Arkansas

Me and a couple guys headed out to Arkansas for some trail ridin. Well after a couple wrong turns, some stitches, and a couple pit stops we finally got out of Texas. First of all we hit up Devil's Den. Unfortunately when we got there it had just rained and I must say yall have a whole lot of rocks up there. It was alright. Woulda been better if I wasnt so nervous about getting my stitches all wet and muddy but ya know it wasnt bad. The next day we hit up Earthquake. Once again pretty dang rocky. Pretty fun I though. My brakes were messing up so it coulda been better. The last day we spent riding we went to the Womble. Yes 37 miles of trail. Of course we only did like 15-20 but ya know, we tried. Womble was definately the best trail in my opinion. How does this relate to SSin? Well right before the trip i converted my Hardrock Sport (yeah cheap bike, but the frame is pretty beefy which is good I'm 6'2 225 and I'm a poor college student gimme a break)
    to SS. I used a 32t/18t gearing which I found to be kinda hard on the uphill but it was my first time riding a single speed so I'm not used to keeping momentum or the agressive uphill climbing but i must say I had a whole lot of fun.

Reviewer/Tester

Good job!

Glad you had an enjoyable ride..

SS'ing will make you stronger and fitter...

...if it doesn't kill you first...

R.
    It is inevitable ...

paintbucket
    Each spring I drive 12 hours each way to ride 20 miles of the Womble. And 20 miles of the Ouachita Trail. And some road in between. Great stuff.

http://www.ouachitachallenge.com

Next year I plan to double my riding miles. That's a long drive.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    Glad you enjoyed our Arkie trails and the Womble trail. That is a must do for any mountain biker. I like it being only 2-2.5 hours from my house. I usually park at the hwy 298 trailhead and ride both ways 6-8 miles. Gives me about 25-30 miles of sweet singletrack.

Welcome to the SS world. Womble is difficult on any bike, just more fun on a SS.

Earthquake ridge is a good trail. Never been to Devil's Den, I might be the only arkie mountain biker who hasn't been there. You could have stopped in Ft. Smith and rode Springhill Park. It's flat, it's fast, and it's between Devil's Den and Earthquake Ridge.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
    You could have stopped in Ft. Smith and rode Springhill Park. It's flat, it's fast, and it's between Devil's Den and Earthquake Ridge.
    Yeah we stopped by Fort Smith...so I could get stitches... hahahaha oh well. It wasn't really a very well planned trip. The hardest part of Womble that we road was the first section from North Fork Lake to the first ATV type road that isn't marked on the map. Yeah it was all like straight up hill. After that it wasn't too bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great trail

Womble, Womble, Womble.......

It reminded me of the Ca trails while i was living in Texas

Eric

Probably drunk right now

Womble, Devil's Den and Other AR Trails...

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
    Glad you enjoyed our Arkie trails and the Womble trail. That is a must do for any mountain biker. I like it being only 2-2.5 hours from my house. I usually park at the hwy 298 trailhead and ride both ways 6-8 miles. Gives me about 25-30 miles of sweet singletrack.

Welcome to the SS world. Womble is difficult on any bike, just more fun on a SS.

Earthquake ridge is a good trail. Never been to Devil's Den, I might be the only arkie mountain biker who hasn't been there. You could have stopped in Ft. Smith and rode Springhill Park. It's flat, it's fast, and it's between Devil's Den and Earthquake Ridge.
    Don't bother with Devil's Den. Of all the trails I've ridden in AR, DD is by far the worst. Even with accidentally poaching some hiking trails, they're marginal at best. Especially when compared to all the great trails the Natural State has to offer.

In addition to the Womble, some other fantastic AR trails are:

- Syllamo Trails: Over 40 miles of Ozark Mountain, bench cut trails.
    - Leatherwood: Eureka Springs city park with some fantastic trails.
    - Mountain Home: Again, great trails.

Ken