just curious- Mtbr.com

Thread: just curious

Vita brevis

just curious

I'm new to the whole mtb culture and the attendant subcultures (xc, dh, fr, ss, etc...). I stopped riding (bmx and freestyle) back in the '80s when the mtb was still in its infancy. My question is, would the old school bmx cruisers, think early '80s 26 inch SE OM flyer, and the like, make a decent ss in the current era? I realize that they would probably need to be full rigid, but that wouldn't seem to discourage a lot of the singlespeeders out there. just wondering.

34N 118W

Fireman

check out Fireman's Texas Cruisers for your possible re-entry in to cycling.

http://www.firemansbikes.com/original.htm

slacker, more casual angles on these, otherwise look into the Redline Monocog for a more XC-able ss ride.

Redline

HW

Quote Originally Posted by rustus
    I'm new to the whole mtb culture and the attendant subcultures (xc, dh, fr, ss, etc...). I stopped riding (bmx and freestyle) back in the '80s when the mtb was still in its infancy. My question is, would the old school bmx cruisers, think early '80s 26 inch SE OM flyer, and the like, make a decent ss in the current era? I realize that they would probably need to be full rigid, but that wouldn't seem to discourage a lot of the singlespeeders out there. just wondering.

I like to ride bikes!

Ya, sorta...

They dont fit most people very well, most people ride their MTBs longer distance so fit is very important. If you have one, you could sell it to a collector and have enough money for a real MTB. They also turn real quick! Depending on the type of riding your doing that can be both good and bad.
    I have a SE Floval flyer that I ride MTB style sometimes, it's a ruff ride, super stiff! I dont recoment it for more than short ride around the "block" kinda thing.

Hope this helps.