Jones H Bar- Mtbr.com

Thread: Jones H Bar

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Jones H Bar

I am building up a single speed rigid Karate Monkey and want to experiment with alternative bars. I was thinking of playing with the Titec version of the Jones H bar and possibly a Mary Bar (or the Origin 8 version at first). I just checked out Jones' site again and see that he offers shims for his bars, saying his bars are recommended for use with a 31.8 bar.

My question is, can I order one of those shims from him and use it on a Mary or Origin 8 Space bar (both 25.4)? The Titec H Bar is already 31.8. I did originally want to use a Thomson X3 stem. His shim is only $15 dollars, but are there other nice options on the market?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Titec H Bar is a little different than the new Jones Cut H Bar, right? It has rise and very little forward sweep, while the new Jones Bar is flat with more forward sweep?

WNC Native
    Actually the Titec H bar is 25.4 and yes it does have rise. The Titec J bar is 31.8 and is straight, flat, same geometry as the actual Jones bar.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yeah, I realized the size issue after I posted. I don't realy understand why the Titec J bar is the H bar replica and the H bar is not. Any idea if Titec will have a version of the new Jones H bar?

Also, anyone have thoughts on using a shim if I go with a 25.4?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixnay
    his bars are recommended for use with a 31.8 bar.
    Come again?

If you have a 25.4 bar you can use a 25.4 stem or an 31.8 stem with a shim. Either way works.

If you have a 31.8 bar then you use a 31.8 stem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Come again?

If you have a 25.4 bar you can use a 25.4 stem or an 31.8 stem with a shim. Either way works.

If you have a 31.8 bar then you use a 31.8 stem.
    Jeff Jones' center section of the bar fits a 25.4 stem but he recommends using his supplied shim to 31.8 as using a 25.4 may damage the bar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yeah, I just found it interesting that Jeff Jones seems to design his bars for use with a shim. I like the look of his shim vs others I've seen. I'll probably order one from him and get a Thomson X3 stem. That will allow me to experiment with any bar, 31.8 or 25.4

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Why do you keep saying X3? There is an X2 and an X4 but no X3.

Anyways, it's easier to miter 25.4 to mate to the smaller diameter end pieces. It is also harder to extrude a smaller diameter piece out to 31.8 in the center for the clamp, especially with Ti. It's just the easiest solution.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Sorry, I'm posting from my phone at work ... I meant X4

Members who have read this thread: 0