Jones H-bar- Mtbr.com

Thread: Jones H-bar

rocky iv style
    Mar 2004

Jones H-bar

So the new ride is almost paid off, which means its about time to start upgrading. I am really intrigued by the H-bar because it seems it would fit my riding style (on my bar ends as much as possible). The problem is that they are a pretty hefty investment without being able to test ride them. Is there anything I can do to simulate them such as reverse mounting some bar ends or anything else just to get an idea of whether or not i would like them? Also, does it take a while to get used to going downhill through technical stuff with your hands in the lower position for braking vs. being used to having them on a standard bar?

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockStar
    So the new ride is almost paid off, which means its about time to start upgrading. I am really intrigued by the H-bar because it seems it would fit my riding style (on my bar ends as much as possible). The problem is that they are a pretty hefty investment without being able to test ride them. Is there anything I can do to simulate them such as reverse mounting some bar ends or anything else just to get an idea of whether or not i would like them? Also, does it take a while to get used to going downhill through technical stuff with your hands in the lower position for braking vs. being used to having them on a standard bar?
    If you want to try them out for position, you could have a set made easily by anyone who can weld and miter. Just weld two 7/8" diameter crmo tubes to the ends of a 1" crmo bar. It looks like all the tubes on the Jones bar are straight. There's probably only a couple dollars worth of material and the cost to have someone weld them up. If you like it, go for the ti Jones version.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It did not take very long for me to get used to them

I first mounted them on my fixie off-road bike and found my hands to be in excellent position for all the fun stuff. Then I put them on my brew SS (with a 4 bolt 50mm longer stem) and really got the groove! I rode my FS bike all this last week at Gooseberry with riser bars and it took me awhile to get used to the now extreme wrist angle. I was wishing for my H-bars, but couldn't get a Cannondale stem long enough.

The H-bars are very comfortable and Jeff makes a top-notch product. Its also fun to talk with other riders about it when they notice the "weird bar".

bike ON
    bob

Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004
    I'm thinking of converting my Specialized Langster into a fixed commuter with the H-Bars. Anyone have opinions on using the H-Bars with that setup?

SS Slave

rocky iv style
    Mar 2004

uuhhhh...

[QUOTE=red-haze.com]Then I put them on my brew SS (with a 4 bolt 50mm longer stem) and really got the groove!

That would put me at a 170mm stem. I was guessing I might need a longer stem, but I've also been considering a laid back seat post. Could I get away with a 130mm stem+laid back seat post?? I really don't want to go longer than 130 for steering issues and preferring to keep my face off the rocks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... longer stem to compensate for swept back bars...

So your hands actually end up in almost the same place, which means that steering and endo-potential stays constant as well. The problem sounds like coming up with such a long stem, for your current bike. perhaps a setback seatpost would help a bit there, as you say.

could be a good excuse to buy a new bike with a longer top tube

bike ON

bob