joining the club?- Mtbr.com
    jl
    climb

joining the club?

I've been curious about trying out a SS'ing for about a year. We'll on friday, after a couple of weeks getting parts together, I had the new ride complete.

I haven't ridden a SS since my Schwinn Stingray (circa 1976).

The inaugural ride wasn't what was initially planned, but I had a good time anyway. The first thing I noticed is that your entire perspective about biking changes. I was no longer riding to set a pace or get there by a certain time, or worry about a cadence. The perspective was more about, what's going on out here (in the world)--no gears for distraction ...

It was kind of fun to have to coast, just because it wasn't worth pedaling anymore (140rpms)...

I'll see how long this fascination lasts--waiting to take it on a _real_ trail...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Bike Junky
    Jan 2004
    Nice bike. Welcome to the club. Now, go get yourself an ENO hub and build up a different rear wheel. That IF deserves to be cleaned up and no tensioner. Sound like from your initial review, going back to gears may not happen.

mtbr member

nice

nice looking ride, yes a eno hub would work and look great on your bike

scott

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    It was kind of fun to have to coast, just because it wasn't worth pedaling anymore (140rpms)...
    I've noticed this aspect too.

Where's Toto?
    As a Queen song thumps away in the background....

"Another one jumps the shark...and another one gone and another one gone...another one jumps the shark"

jl
    climb
    I may be moving to an eno hub. I want to give it a winter test ride to see if I'm really sold. I did the 'economical' conversion. I even gave my CKing wheels to my wife and took hers.

I do want to ride on some trails around here to see what gearing I need, and if I like not being able to shift ...

jl
    climb

out of the club

It was funwhile it lasted... I finally was able to hit some _real_ trails on the new singlespeeder--that would be 2 trails. I had it originally geard at 34/20, but after the first ride, I changed it to 34/21 and it was perfect for me.

I was rocking up and down everything. It was like being a kid again. Riding, just riding, breathing hard and having fun. No race mentatlity, no mis-shifts, just pedal and have fun.

Well, those days are over now. After my second ride the ol' IF cracked. I'll see what the next step is later this week. Anyway, maybe by March I'll be SS'ing again.

'til then....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Whatever! Just crash it!

Well, those days are over now. After my second ride the ol' IF cracked.

More details please. Pics would be even better! I was hanging in a shop contemplating an IF frame last night.

Just curious. I'm not really buying anything any time soon.

Thanks.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

brother on a mission
    After my second ride the ol' IF cracked.

Ouch. Where and How? I thought steel was supposed to be pretty resillient. Maybe that is just the cheap 4130 frames I can afford.

Sorry about your frame. I hoep you get back out there soon. Maybe time for a single speed specific frame?

jl
    climb
    It looks like the failure happened over time it was on the right chainstay right behind the crank. It should be shipped out today or tomorrow. I stripped it down this morning and took it to the bike shop for delivery....

I posted a question about IF warranty with a little 'story'. I think some people took it a little too serious .... Some people got it. Anyway I'll keep people updated. I purchased the IF because I really liked their products, now I'll have a first hand chance to see if they stand by them....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=64928

brother on a mission
    It looks like the failure happened over time it was on the right chainstay right behind the crank. It should be shipped out today or tomorrow. I stripped it down this morning and took it to the bike shop for delivery....

I posted a question about IF warranty with a little 'story'. I think some people took it a little too serious .... Some people got it. Anyway I'll keep people updated. I purchased the IF because I really liked their products, now I'll have a first hand chance to see if they stand by them....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=64928
    Great story. It is kind of funny that people were so caught up in the wife and the other man.

Good luck with your warranty replacement. How did you like the frame after riding it for 4 years? I like the idea of buying something local, and when I finally get through with my training, I will be looking at some local builders for my next bike purchase (until then I will stick with my second hand steeds).

Happy Riding.