JJ XTR singlespeed homebrew mod- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

JJ XTR singlespeed homebrew mod

A little do it myself project. Let me know what you think...
    Attached Images Attached Images

one chain loop
    i love dremel.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Out spokin'

Good job

You probably saved a ton of money and a lot of time via DIY compared to having Jeff Jones do it for you, but one must admit Jeff does a fine job... just fine, as evidenced by the photos below. (Photos stolen out of Whafe's amazing " It's not just about the Bike, but the journey to the bike also....." thread on the 29er board.)

Anyway nice work yourself.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    You probably saved a ton of money and a lot of time via DIY compared to having Jeff Jones do it for you, but one must admit Jeff does a fine job... just fine, as evidenced by the photos below. (Photos stolen out of Whafe's amazing " It's not just about the Bike, but the journey to the bike also....." thread on the 29er board.)

Anyway nice work yourself.

--Sparty

Nice polished shine on the real ones. Should I even try to round out the edges with the dremel, or is that to much to ask of the fiber wheel?

Witty McWitterson
    Sure is nice to have all the right tools at ones disposal for projects like that, eh? That polished finish is jawdrpoppingly, achingly awesome.
    Just a regular guy.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_MTB
    Nice polished shine on the real ones. Should I even try to round out the edges with the dremel, or is that to much to ask of the fiber wheel?
    rough in the rounded edges with a flat bastard file and then go to a fine cut file to finish it off. Just make sure you have minimal vibration in your vise system (vise, table/stand whatever) take your time and you'll be fine.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

blet drive
    A little do it myself project. Let me know what you think...
    is that so you can run a smaller chainring it looks good by the way.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    A little more grinding and filing...

I'm not sure if I'm goining to spend any more time on the finish. I don't think I have the paitence to get it to look like the Jones.

mtbr member
    sorry to be a stick in the mud, but should we be concernd about the heat from the cutting wheel tempering the spider so it will be significantly weaker and fail?

Out spokin'
    Very nice. Now go out and cover it in mud.

--Sparty

P.S. Please post pix when she's all mounted up. Like to see the whole bike.
    disciplesofdirt.org

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by Panzerknacker
    sorry to be a stick in the mud, but should we be concernd about the heat from the cutting wheel tempering the spider so it will be significantly weaker and fail?
    IMO, grinding will not be hot enough and the process is not gonna be long enough for tempering. this procedure requires hard work, not science. IMO, no offence.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panzerknacker
    I donno?

I guess I'll find out if it fails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

P.S. Please post pix when she's all mounted up. Like to see the whole bike.
    I don't have a bike for it right now. I don't think it would look right on an all black Gary Fisher Rig.

I need something titanium.

Out spokin'
    It will not fail due to the work you just did.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Im in the processs of singlespeedificating an XTR crank as well, and i was wondering what you used to take off the finish? I ve used Oven off or something like that before on black ano cranks, i havent gotten that far in this project yet.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by evil plug
    Im in the processs of singlespeedificating an XTR crank as well, and i was wondering what you used to take off the finish? I ve used Oven off or something like that before on black ano cranks, i havent gotten that far in this project yet.
    No lie, lye.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Have you tried Wizard Metal Polish? Cotton candy like stuff. I've used it to make quite a few vintage parts look like new.

3D guy
    My version of the same:

Crank:

Complete Bike (have a Boone ring on order now for about 7 month we'll see if they ever produce it).

I used steel wool and sand paper to take of the finish (I read about the oven cleaner trick but did not want to go through that). A buffing wheel and some time seemed to clean up the part nicely (also I did not remove the rubber O rings, do not think oven cleaner would be nice to these if you went that direction a remove/re-install would be required).

First ride everything is awesome.
    Geoff Stahl
    San Jose

BLTc, Chameleon Single Speed, Speedvagen Road

Welcome to the Gem...
    i've been wondering for a while... and now that i've seen so many people do it, i have to ask.

why!?

why not just get yourselves a nice SS crank?

i'm rather new... lemme think though. can you use a larger array of crank gears this way? easier to swap them out? just to have something uber custom?
    Ibis Tranny 29

J_T
    Pale-ale-ontologist
    The older version.

I started with Jasco paint remover then 320 grit paper, progressing upward to 800 grit before switching to lapping compound. 1200 then 1500. The buffing wheel is next.

Why? Because I already had the Boone spiderless set-up on these 180mm arms.

Those 960's look sweet.

No longer 26
    I am looking to do the same in the future for my 2x9 set up. My I am also including a plan to expand the bolt pattern from the 102 to 104 so I can use standard rings. Was going to do it soon until I found a Truvativ Carbon Stylo GXP set for $100 without the bottom bracket that I did not need.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallanaga
    i've been wondering for a while... and now that i've seen so many people do it, i have to ask.

why!?

why not just get yourselves a nice SS crank?

i'm rather new... lemme think though. can you use a larger array of crank gears this way? easier to swap them out? just to have something uber custom?
    I had the XTR crank sitting around collecting dust. I figured I might as well make a project out of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gstahl
    My version of the same:

Crank:

Complete Bike (have a Boone ring on order now for about 7 month we'll see if they ever produce it).

I used steel wool and sand paper to take of the finish (I read about the oven cleaner trick but did not want to go through that). A buffing wheel and some time seemed to clean up the part nicely (also I did not remove the rubber O rings, do not think oven cleaner would be nice to these if you went that direction a remove/re-install would be required).

First ride everything is awesome.
    Wow. Nice job. Looks alot better then mine. Did you use a Dremel?

3D guy
    Wow. Nice job. Looks alot better then mine. Did you use a Dremel?
    Dremel, file and sand paper. I follow the curve of the bolt "buckets" (so to speak so it was reasonably easy to get the ends to look nice. Other the only thing I did was use a caliper to get the depths (or heights) at the end of the arms equal. I polished with metal polish and a hand drill (with a buffing wheel of course).
    Geoff Stahl
    San Jose

BLTc, Chameleon Single Speed, Speedvagen Road

mtbr member
    Did you guys clear coat the cranks after polishing them? If so, how'd you do it (I tried with auto clear coat and it just ran off). If not, any problems with oxidation?

Thanks,

Dan

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    They oxidize and get scratched pretty easily. That said, it takes about 5 minutes with them still on the bike with some metal polish to get back to the nice finish. I do mine about 2-3 times a year. It's pretty simple really.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

MTB Rider
    I had the XTR crank sitting around collecting dust. I figured I might as well make a project out of it.
    It's a fine testament to the quality of Shimano cranks that someone would want to do this. However, I can't help but think that eBay would have been a better solution.

I can guess that when Mr. Whirly finally ships, this kinda thing should come to a stop. I couldn't fathom anyone doing this to a M970 crank. Those are works of art.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    I couldn't fathom anyone doing this to a M970 crank. Those are works of art.

Two too many rings.

mtbr member
    It's a fine testament to the quality of Shimano cranks that someone would want to do this. However, I can't help but think that eBay would have been a better solution.

I can guess that when Mr. Whirly finally ships, this kinda thing should come to a stop. I couldn't fathom anyone doing this to a M970 crank. Those are works of art.

No they're not.

I'm invisible.
    Single speed fundamentalism knows no limits!

Butchering XTR cranks for the sake of single speed purity!

I admit the Jeff Jones product did look very refined. You can be sure he did not use a dremel tool and a file.
    Signature space intentionally left blank.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by disease

Butchering XTR cranks for the sake of single speed purity!
    Not really. Recycling. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

XT M760 Cranks

Can you polish a M760 crankset to look like these M960. Is the aluminum the same as the xtr?

mtbr member
    I have to disagree with WillTSmith - I think the newest generation of XTR crank is fugly. Besides, making them into SS is pretty cool and it is not butchering. It's just a bike crank.

MTB Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I have to disagree with WillTSmith - I think the newest generation of XTR crank is fugly. Besides, making them into SS is pretty cool and it is not butchering. It's just a bike crank.
    Well, those others weren't 970s, so no problem. The old XTR had a unique bolt pattern and soft rings. So, recycling is probably a good use. Everybody's home brews look great.

The finish on the 970 is a different concept I believe is inspired by the desire for black, plus the penchant for black cranks to be polished silver by your heel. I think that pattern of making the flat of the crank silver with a recessed, black XTR will keep that crank looking the way it does for quite a long time.

Of course, if you don't like black cranks ... I'm sure you hate them. But I'm sure they could be polished silver.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Here are mine. Didn't round the edges. Might do that yet.

I've since put a blackspire ring on there. I was going crazy with the metal polish and then thought why bother they are just going to get messed up. On rainy sundays I get out the buffing wheel and make them shiney.

mtbr member
    I couldn't fathom anyone doing this to a M970 crank. Those are works of art.
    You wouldn't have to do it to the 970s. They don't have the extended tabs for the large chainring. You can just bolt on a single ring and go.

mtbr member
    sorry for the noob question. What do you use to remove to original color and polish the cranks?
    Put something exciting between your legs. Ride a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    I used a synthetic "wire wheel" that had an abrasive coating applied to the bristles chucked in a drill - it's designed to remove paint from metal. Then I used a cloth buffing wheel and polishing compound. A file and wet sandpaper was used on any scratches after the abrasive wheel and before the buffing wheel.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    OK...got mine done.....Gstahl (?) gave me some pointers ......i was worried about all the cutting and grinding....that part actually turned out surprisingly well......but i got lazy and tried a lye-rich bath that pitted the holy heck outta my cranks......spent FOREVER sanding and polishing......but overall, I'm happy
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member

nice

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    OK...got mine done.....Gstahl (?) gave me some pointers ......i was worried about all the cutting and grinding....that part actually turned out surprisingly well......but i got lazy and tried a lye-rich bath that pitted the holy heck outta my cranks......spent FOREVER sanding and polishing......but overall, I'm happy
    looks nice.

Got any more pictures? It's hard to see in that lighting.

mtbr member
    so does anyone have a weight for a set of these 960's with the BB?

SBK
    HMFIC
    Quote Originally Posted by nkrax
    so does anyone have a weight for a set of these 960's with the BB?
    Image below from Jeff when I asked him about this in 2006: 614g for arms, BB, crank arm bolts, spacers, etc - no chainring or cr bolts. Figure ~665g or so for a complete setup, depending on what ring and bolts you run.
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    doing this to a set I just purchased off ebay... these are some great DIY pictures.

Just hit it with speed

Chainring bending, or chain destruction

My crankset went under the knife last night (hacksaw). I'm wondering how everyones experience has been with the lack of a bashguard?

I'm a sport hack who occasionaly nails my bashguard on logovers (never rocks, just logs). I'm wondering about how the chainring has held up under these conditions and furthermore what kinda damage people have experienced on their chains.

Has anyone broken chainring teeth? Bent chainrings? Bent the spider arms? Wrecked Chains early in their life?

I'm hoping that by dropping the bashguard i had on their Ringgod Clear Plasic X4 i will gain some clearance? Anyone interested in buying it?
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GFisher2001
    My crankset went under the knife last night (hacksaw). I'm wondering how everyones experience has been with the lack of a bashguard?

I'm a sport hack who occasionaly nails my bashguard on logovers (never rocks, just logs). I'm wondering about how the chainring has held up under these conditions and furthermore what kinda damage people have experienced on their chains.

Has anyone broken chainring teeth? Bent chainrings? Bent the spider arms? Wrecked Chains early in their life?

I'm hoping that by dropping the bashguard i had on their Ringgod Clear Plasic X4 i will gain some clearance? Anyone interested in buying it?

As the number of teeth decreases on a chain ring I would expect each tooth to be stronger. Still bend/breakable though.
    Maybe your technique over logs needs to be fine tuned if you are riding on the bashguard.
    On the used market the guard might be worth $5.

Just hit it with speed
    It can be yours for $35.

Just kidding thanks for the feedback.

I'm still interested to hear feedback from people who have ridden this set-up and require "fine-tuning" of their technique on log overs.

i.e. An answer to my question.
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0