Jeff Jones H Bar- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Jeff Jones H Bar

Can anybody using the H Bar tell me what they ride like.I am trying to choose between the H or Moots ti riser bar. The last part of the puzzle.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by neville
    Can anybody using the H Bar tell me what they ride like.
    Link

You'll need to scroll down a bit.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Needed Less ~ Did More

... and if we just ...

Can anybody using the H Bar tell me what they ride like.I am trying to choose between the H or Moots ti riser bar. The last part of the puzzle.
    I got a pair of H-bard for several reasons: 1) My wrists and elbows hurt on "regular" straight bars (flat+riser) and 2) My frame was not built to take WTB dirt drop bars and the 40deg stem and 30mm spacers looked dumb!

I liked the flared drop section of the WTB's and was lucky enough to be able to borrow a pair of H-bars for a week (Thanks Biff @ The Outcast!) Jeff builds them as "standard" at a 45 deg angle, the WTB's flared at about 65deg....so I compramised at 55deg and they fit like a glove!

Your hands are not twisted like on straight bars, you get a choice of hand postions and can still use regular MTB brake levers!

well worth the $$$

Later

Alex
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

But does it feel like you're ....

riding your mum's shopping bike when your on the ends of the bars.......?

I like the idea of the cruising extensions in the middle......

but in order to avoid the shopping bike feel do you use a longer stem?

I must admit I am intrigued.......

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky3
    riding your mum's shopping bike when your on the ends of the bars.......?

I like the idea of the cruising extensions in the middle......

but in order to avoid the shopping bike feel do you use a longer stem?

I must admit I am intrigued.......
    Longer stem is a must! I went from a 110mm to a 130mm (and put my saddle back a bit) This puts the "grip" section in the right place.

Shopping bike? Hmmm not really, more like a Moustache bar equiped classic English roadster!

Later

Alex
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

stem length

Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedpunk
    Longer stem is a must! I went from a 110mm to a 130mm (and put my saddle back a bit) This puts the "grip" section in the right place.
    not to hijack the thread, but I am thinking of ordering an H-bar and need to get a longer stem. First, do you think that it is reasonable to run a 140mm stem? I guess I'll have to do what I have to do, but that is pretty long. Second, are you using a four bolt stem? I can find a bunch of cheap long stems but they are all 2 bolt. For some reason I think I read somewhere that the H-bar works a little better with a four bolt stem - more secure.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen
    First, do you think that it is reasonable to run a 140mm stem? I guess I'll have to do what I have to do, but that is pretty long. Second, are you using a four bolt stem?
    Without seeing a picture or knowing more details, it's hard to say what is to long for you, but 140 isn't outrageous. Shoot Jeff an email and see what stem he recommends for your set up. I'm currently using a 3 bolt Kore stem.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the imput. My LBS is going ahead and ordering one. SSP when you said put the seat back a bit, does that mean on the rails or a layback post is needed. PW # 10 should be complete when the bar arrives.

Bikes not Bombs.....

Pw #10

Thanks for the imput. My LBS is going ahead and ordering one. SSP when you said put the seat back a bit, does that mean on the rails or a layback post is needed. PW # 10 should be complete when the bar arrives.
    Please share pictures of the # 10. I would love to see # 9's younger brother and what you have done to it.

Jeff Jones does make the most creative bikes and parts. He just drilled out my EBB to lighten it up by 30 grams, not that I am a WW....

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

Needed Less ~ Did More
    In-line Thomson post, just moved the saddle back on the rails 4-5mm.

Enjoy!

Alex
    -

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen
    ...need to get a longer stem. First, do you think that it is reasonable to run a 140mm stem?
    Hey Pigpen,

A 140mm stem is not outrageous. Back in the late '80s/early '90s Tomac had us all running 150mm stems with flat bars. You were nobody if you didn't have "the Tomac look."

But I'm not saying you ought to become some kind of slave to fashion. The longer stem won't affect bike handling at all because your hands will be positioned in a different place on the bar than they would be with a traditional handlebar. The 'uprights' of the H-bar will place you hands further behind the stem's clamp area (as compared with flat or riser bars) so even though your stem is technically 140mm long, the bike will handle just the same as it would with a shorter stem and a traditional bar.

I don't own a pair of H-bars but I rode them a bit last summer when Jeff sent the Disciples of Dirt a pair to try.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

so....

If I understand SSPunk correctly you can specify the angle of the grip end? ...is that correct?

Cheers

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky3
    If I understand SSPunk correctly you can specify the angle of the grip end? ...is that correct?

Cheers
    Yes, the bars are custom built.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com