JAMIS giving me the "shaft"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

JAMIS giving me the "shaft"

I have been a devotee of Jamis for a while now. My little gem is a 07 Exile that has some major $ in upgrades. While riding last week on some singletrack the 631 Reynolds frame "peeled" like a bananna and I did a beautiful face plant in the earth. Basically, I stood up out of the saddle and gave several hard cranks as the trail pitched upwards. The 2 maintubes split near the welds where they join at the steering tube. Hiked 3mi back, injured, and with the bike around my neck.
    Got the bike to my dealer where pics and proper forms were sent out immediately. Took a week (and some complaining) to get a response from Jamis stating they were sending a new frame. Great right! Wrong, they are sending me a smoke blue Dragon One made from Reynolds 520. Not only is the sucker completely distastful to me in appearance but the material is not even a resilient as the Reynolds 631 tubing that gave way on me in the first place! Why would I straddle another Jamis, risking life and limb, when supposedly the original frame was superior to begin with? Surely thought those guys would have given up a Reynolds 835, especially since I did not send any denta/medical bills.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    well, i don't know about 520 not being as resilient as 631, the tubing profiles/gussets would make a bit more of a difference there, but in any case, yeah, argue the point with them.

if the dragon one is their direct replacement for the exile then it's a no brainer, thats' what you're getting, but check their line-ups carefully.
    if the your old exile's price level is above the current dragon in their line-up, then they should bump you UP the scale not down.

good luck, better to get a new frame than nothing!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Weight, er wait until you see the weight of your replacement frame. It is a direct replacement for the frame you had though.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    well, i don't know about 520 not being as resilient as 631, the tubing profiles/gussets would make a bit more of a difference there, but in any case, yeah, argue the point with them.

if the dragon one is their direct replacement for the exile then it's a no brainer, thats' what you're getting, but check their line-ups carefully.
    if the your old exile's price level is above the current dragon in their line-up, then they should bump you UP the scale not down.

good luck, better to get a new frame than nothing!
    X2....and pics please of your frame.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Huh?? Jamis doesn't even make an 853 SS 29'er frame. The Dragon One is the only SS frame they have.

Retro Grouch
    I wouldn't get so worked up about the frame steel. First, the only Jamis 29er SS is the Dragon, so that's what you are going to get. Second, there is a lot more to a frame than the type of steel it's made out of. For instance your old Exile, only used 631 for the three main tubes, the rest of the bike was made out of...wait for it...520 (4130) cromo. You should also know that traditional frame building says a frame made completely out of 4130, will be stronger than a mixture. There may be something to this, as your frame failed where the 631 top and down tube joined to the 520 headtube. Also, there is bynuts point about "resilience". The whole point behind making newer steels to improve the strength over weight, which usually results in thinner, stiffer tubes. Most of your older, slightly heavier tubes have more native resilience than their newer thinner lighter tubes. There is also the matter of straight wall, butted, double butted and triple butted tubes, that can significantly change the characteristics of a steel frame. I don't know if you will like the feel of your new 520 Dragon over your old 631 Exile, but the very nature of welding like tubes, means your going to have a inherently stronger frame, which in your case might be more of an advantage, due to the failed welds of the newer air hardened tubes on your old bike.
    Last edited by aka brad; 05-03-2010 at 10:59 AM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Apr 2007
    Ok, I am confused here. Isn't the Exile a 26" bike? While the Dragon ONE is a 29er? If they're just sending you the frame, how does that work? Are they fronting the bill for the new wheels and fork?

If you really want a 631, the only frame they make that in is a Dragon Comp, but it's geared so you'll have to go ENO or one of those retrofit EBB's.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Ok, I am confused here. Isn't the Exile a 26" bike? While the Dragon ONE is a 29er? If they're just sending you the frame, how does that work? Are they fronting the bill for the new wheels and fork?

If you really want a 631, the only frame they make that in is a Dragon Comp, but it's geared so you'll have to go ENO or one of those retrofit EBB's.
    In 2007, the Jamis 29er SS was a 631 Exile. That changed in 2008 when they switched the 29er SS to the Dragon line.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Apr 2007
    Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking back to that 26" Exile frame Jenson had on sale for $200.

Members who have read this thread: 0