Jamis Exile SS- Mtbr.com

Thread: Jamis Exile SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Jamis Exile SS

I picked up my Exile SS frame this afternoon. It's slick in its matte black and horizontal track end-ness.

I'll post pictures of the frame in a bit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The frame and the business end:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    when you have a moment, let me know the size and the weigh of the frame. thinking about getting one of those myself, although it would be the comlete bike as all of my wheels and components on my current frame have been beaten on thoroughly. thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Good question. The frame is a 17.5. I'm not sure on the weight as I built it up before I could weigh it.

The frame is Reynolds 631, so it's a little heavier than the 853 and True Temper frames I've been racing. Maybe 4 1/2 pounds? Built with a Sid SL, thomson, and XT goodies it's still pretty light.

I got it on the trail today for the first time, and it was sweet!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    what is the comlete weight then? that is the one reservation that I have that the complete bike's advertised weight is over 26lbs which is heavier than the bike it replaces. and did you run discs and if so how where those to work with with the hor. drops?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by unsuspended
    what is the comlete weight then? that is the one reservation that I have that the complete bike's advertised weight is over 26lbs which is heavier than the bike it replaces. and did you run discs and if so how where those to work with with the hor. drops?
    I'll try to dig up a way to weigh the bike, but it's definitely lighter than my geared Gunnar.

I bought the frameset which has canti bosses. The complete bike does not. It's some weird quark I guess. It works out for me because I have plenty of Vs and rim brake wheels lying around and no disc brakes. I'm running Avid Ti Vs.

As far as discs go, The disc tabs are built with some ability to move the caliper around, so you can adjust it relative to wheel placement. I don't run discs, so I can't speak to how well it works, but it makes sense to me. The track ends are very sweet with built-in adjusters like the Paul SS ends. Very cool.

Most of the weight in the complete bike is in the fork and the wire beaded tires. The fork is something insane like 5 pounds. A rigid fork or a Sid would bring the weight down a bunch, as would some kevlar bead tires.

mtbr member

2 questions

Quote Originally Posted by vegancx
    The frame and the business end:
    Is there room for a fat rear tire, say a true 2.3 or so? Secondly, do you mind sharing how much the frame cost. There is no Jamis dealer in my town that I know of to ask.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AkDave
    Is there room for a fat rear tire, say a true 2.3 or so? Secondly, do you mind sharing how much the frame cost. There is no Jamis dealer in my town that I know of to ask.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    I'll check on tires when I get the real rear wheel in it this weekend (right now I'm using a spaced geared wheel with a conti explorer pro). I don't have any tires quite as big as 2.3, but I've got some 2.1 Panaracers that I'll throw on and give some measurements.

As to cost, I think the MSRP on the frame is $450.

mtbr member

Thanks for the info.......

Quote Originally Posted by vegancx
    I'll check on tires when I get the real rear wheel in it this weekend (right now I'm using a spaced geared wheel with a conti explorer pro). I don't have any tires quite as big as 2.3, but I've got some 2.1 Panaracers that I'll throw on and give some measurements.

As to cost, I think the MSRP on the frame is $450.
    I like the tt length on this frame. Maybe I can find a dealer within a days drive.
    Thanks again,
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

Members who have read this thread: 0