Jabberwocky - Model Year Difference- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Jabberwocky - Model Year Difference

I'm looking in to a possible build with a used Jabberwocky frame. It looks like the frames prior to 2009 have a gusset at the down tube / head tube junction, while the 2009 model year no longer has the gusset.

I assume the newer frame is "improved" but any opinions on the different frame types or potential cracking problems would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Not easy to see in the website pictures but there is a plate welded at the downtube/headtube junction for reinforcement on the newer frames. I've only ever seen one of these frames broken and it was at the toptube/seattube junction.

I have one with the old style gusset and a friend of mine has a newer one with the fancy writing and the thinner gusset. Neither have had any problems whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csmitharchitect
    I'm looking in to a possible build with a used Jabberwocky frame. It looks like the frames prior to 2009 have a gusset at the down tube / head tube junction, while the 2009 model year no longer has the gusset.

I assume the newer frame is "improved" but any opinions on the different frame types or potential cracking problems would be appreciated.
    I only have two rides on my new Jabber, but I am throwing a

The guys at Vassago are pretty cool. Why don't you email them with the question? you could also ask them about any warranty concerns you have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    *First Gen, small gusset, option for V-Brakes, and less tire clearance.
    *Second Gen, box gusset, option for V-Brakes has been removed, more tire clearance
    *Third Gen, current design, return to small gusset, and increased tube thickness at head tube, down tube junction.

No changes to the geometry across all generations.

As for warranty on a used frame, they do not warranty used frames. Their website says original owner only. That be said, I do not know of any manufacture that provides a warranty on a used frame. Though some will offer a crash replacement at a discounted price.

If it were me, I would go brand new, it is not like they are expensive frames.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Offtopic:

Another question about the Jabberwocky. On the site it says that it's only for a singlering up front. Is that because of the geo or are there just no cablestops for a front derailer?

The geo is about the same as the Bandersnatch so I am inclined to think that it's just the stops that are not on the frame.

/offtopic

mtbr member
    The Jabber has no cable stops or guides for anything except the rear brake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DiDaDunlop
    Offtopic:

Another question about the Jabberwocky. On the site it says that it's only for a singlering up front. Is that because of the geo or are there just no cablestops for a front derailer?

The geo is about the same as the Bandersnatch so I am inclined to think that it's just the stops that are not on the frame.

/offtopic

Jabber and Bander are the same frame, one is single speed with track ends and one is geared with derailleur hanger and cable stops.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for claring that up.

Hmm difficult choices...

more beers, lees gears.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    The Jabber has no cable stops or guides for anything except the rear brake.
    actually first gens have cable stops for a rear derailleur.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

more beers, lees gears.
    i bought a used jabber last year and have had no issues. steel frames are pretty tough to break. so i wasnt too worried about it. i bought mine as a full build, and my first 29r. i figured if i rode it a year and it broke, the frames are cheap enough that i would be able to replace it and have the good to build up a new one.

and after a year, i can honestly say that if my frame broke, i would buy another jabber in a heartbeat. i would only struggle on which color, or custom color.

mtbr member
    Yes, I agree with all the comments above - the Jabberwocky is an incredible frame and design! This is the best climbing frame I have ever been on - simply awesome

Also, you cannot beat the price

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattKHS
    actually first gens have cable stops for a rear derailleur.
    Ah, I see. Mine doesn't so I guess that verifies I have a newer one.

more beers, lees gears.
    i did run a rear derailleur for the first year, as a 1x9, but this weekend went back to the SS.

Do the newer jabbers have better routing for hydrolic lines? i have to use the silly holders, and the rear brake hose still pops out. its zipped in3 or 4 places now. just feels tacky.

Members who have read this thread: 0