Jabber - dual use (mtb + commuter)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Jabber - dual use (mtb + commuter)

Well, I love my jabberwocky as a single speed set up for the trails. But alas, with gas prices, it's time to set it up to use as a commuter as well. Does anyone out there use their singlespeed as a dual use for trails and commuting? I am wondering what is the best way to go and really what all the options are. If anyone has pics of thier set-ups that would be sweet.

My initial thought is to get a second wheel-set and put a more commuter-friendly tire on those and then swapping them out when I go for a trail ride. I am thinking I will also run a smaller cog for a better road gear... but that may mean using two chain lengths as well. Any thoughts on this topic appreciated

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I find I never have time to swap things around regularly. The ideal setup is two bikes, one for each use. Or just commute on your trail setup, unless you're in a hurry. Keeping the knobby tires or riding on the dirt shoulder helps negate the need to put a smaller cog on.

You know, for kids
    I'd keep an eye out for a used MonoCog 29er if you want a 29er commuter. You could get one used and buy some street tires for it and still not be too much more $$$ than a new wheelset, rotors, and street tires for your Jabber. You may even consider buying a MonoCog new. For a little more than the MonoCog, you can get the Redline D440 which is an 8speed and comes with rack mounts.

I own a rigid Jabberwocky, a hardtail Bandersnatch, and my RLMC29er...
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Get a second bike. To many changes to make and it will take away from your riding and enjoyment. I love my Jabberwocky but wouldn't want to commute on it. Also road ride and enjoy the efficiency of narrow tires. I use a SS Specialized Langster as my commuter which you can find in the $400 range used.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have 2 bikes. One is a BMX and the other is my 1x1. The Surly is a multi-purpose beast. It handles some commuting and cruising about as well as trails. The tires and pedals are different now (Hutchinson Bulldog and Odyssey flats). I just use one gear for everything.
    A tire that can handle both is great too. The Hutch is fulling that niche nicely.

The Schwalbe Smart Sam is a fast roller on the road as well as gripping great on the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hmmm... You guys are all really lazy, or you like an excuse for another bike . Half the fun for me is a little wrenching from time to time. But hey, thanks for all the thoughts / idears... though I decided to go with what I had originally said. I was already looking at a set of wheels on craigslist for a decent price. Grabbed some rotors, a 15t cog, and some more road friendly tires (smooth in the middle and some knobby on the edges in case I want to veer off on a trail ). I didn't really want to add a new bike to the stall. It takes about 7 minutes to swap over, which I think I can handle. I didn't end up having to have 2 different chain lengths, so that makes it a lot easier. Here is my new jabber- commuter / mtb singlespeed

Last edited by bworks; 04-27-2008 at 08:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My converted Rocky Blizzard does it all. I ain't got the room for multiple bikes; indeed the wife and I are discussing selling our road bikes once her SS Jamis Exile arrives. Mine's geared 34/19, which is about right for the hills around here, street or dirt. Using a Pletscher rack (don't laugh) and Armadillo Crossroads tires, which are good on street, reasonable (but not optimal) on dirt. It can be done with one bike. Do I care about spinning out on the flats or downhills? I do not...I'm having too much fun. Besides, you don't want the ride to end too soon, do you?

Members who have read this thread: 0