mtbr member
    Aug 2005

J.B.C. titanium cogs?

Has anyone got any experience with J.B.C. titanium cogs? I'm looking into getting some Ti hardware and came across these on EBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/J-B-C-Titanium-C...item3364a8dc25) Says they're laser cut from 6/4 Ti and have a pretty thick base (9/32", ~7mm).

I like the ISAR Homebrewed Components stuff a lot, but thought it can't hurt to see what else is out there. As discussed elsewhere in this forum, it looks like Boone's shuttered their windows and doors. Not a lot of options for Ti gearing.

Thanks for any input you all may have!

Jeremy
    DirtBrothers PA, est. 2006
    Bound By Dirt

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I am currently running the J.B.C aircraft grade stainless steel cog. Very high quality, looks awesome, and is 11 grams lighter than my Surly cog. I'm sure the titanium version is even lighter. No problems with it whatsoever, these cogs are the real deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by greatenini
    I am currently running the J.B.C aircraft grade stainless steel cog. Very high quality, looks awesome, and is 11 grams lighter than my Surly cog. I'm sure the titanium version is even lighter. No problems with it whatsoever, these cogs are the real deal.
    Thanks...I spoke with the owner/machinist/etc. and he said right now he's only offering 18t, but will be offering other sizes in the future. I couldn't wait, so I ordered some HomeBrewed Components stuff from ISAR. Can't wait to ride it!

Jeremy
    DirtBrothers PA, est. 2006
    Bound By Dirt

Trail Junkie
    Probably bringing up an old thread...but I just recently purchased 20 JBC stainless cogs on ebay.

I only have 2 weeks on them, so I am not making any recommendations until I get at least 500mi. on them, but so far so good! The base where the freehub meets the cog is pretty wide. More so than my Chris King and Niner, so that is a plus! It is, however composed of three pieces that are welded together that make up the width which brings the concern..but that is why I am making no recommendations as of yet.

Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hi dubdryver..any updates on the cog?

mtbr member
    I wish he'd make chainrings too. Great looking stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    Probably bringing up an old thread...but I just recently purchased 20 JBC stainless cogs on ebay.

I only have 2 weeks on them, so I am not making any recommendations until I get at least 500mi. on them, but so far so good! The base where the freehub meets the cog is pretty wide. More so than my Chris King and Niner, so that is a plus! It is, however composed of three pieces that are welded together that make up the width which brings the concern..but that is why I am making no recommendations as of yet.
    Dubdryver any update to this product?

surly inbred
    I've logged about 500 miles on a 21t I picked up earlier this fall. It's nearly worn to the point of unusable due to warpage. There is side to side play vertically so that the cog teeth travel back & forth from side to side between the link plates.

Hard to beat the durability of a Surly for the $.

Fossil
    No problems with mine after 2 years and about 500 miles. Love the looks. Keep an eye on chainline to minimize chance of warping etc.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

JBC CLYDE advise

Would anyone think that a clyde should be reserverd about getting this product do the lack of solid cog. The "look" of these are what caught my attention, but being a big rider(220) i was unsure of the cog strength. Also looking at the Origin* ULTIM8 because of the very wide freehub interface.Anyone have thoughts about this? Or know of another thread where this was discussed?

psycho cyclo addict
    I've got over 1,000 miles on Surly 16t and less on a King stainless 18t cog with no signs of wear one either. While the Ti cogs look cool (Boone would be my choice) they are very expensive and not worth it IMO. I'm just under 200 lbs. in the buff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I've got over 1,000 miles on Surly 16t and less on a King stainless 18t cog with no signs of wear one either. While the Ti cogs look cool (Boone would be my choice) they are very expensive and not worth it IMO. I'm just under 200 lbs. in the buff.
    I am about your size although I have been up to 235 at times, and I have several thousand miles on a Surly 18t. It's still looking good. I paid about $30 for it over 4 years ago. During that time I have destroyed a few aluminum 20t cogs on my other bike. Unless you are really concerned about counting grams go with Surly.
    As a side note I have an On One 20t steel cog on the other bike now, and so far I am happy with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    So what I am gathering here is get a Surly they are quality. Thanks!

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I am about your size although I have been up to 235 at times, and I have several thousand miles on a Surly 18t. It's still looking good. I paid about $30 for it over 4 years ago. During that time I have destroyed a few aluminum 20t cogs on my other bike. Unless you are really concerned about counting grams go with Surly.
    As a side note I have an On One 20t steel cog on the other bike now, and so far I am happy with it.
    All of my cogs were purchased used

My SS came with a stainless Chris King 20t which I rarely use except for big climb trails. The other King cog I snagged for ~$20 and the Surly was like $10!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Been running my J.B.C. 20t Ti cog for almost a year and a half. Solid, no separation issues at all and I rode a Boone before so I CAN compare the two. If you want something even blingier, check out my girl at Endless Bike Co.

Endless Bike Company | Products
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails J.B.C. titanium cogs?-endless-cogs.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 2