its like smoking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

its like smoking

Why is SS so addictive? after many years of SS-dom (12), I can't put away the kool-aid with the Jeremiah Weed.

I like all bikes and all, but there isn't a bike in my house that shifts. I've even gotten friends to SS and they don't look back.

Do I have Skittles in my underwear? probably so because they say that a couple of Skiddles are enough to trip you like a hit of LSD.

A thief on a bicycle steals a former stripper's purse, threatening her with a screwdriver. When he flees from a man across the street who runs over to help the woman, the thief's bicycle hits a rock, and he is impaled through the heart by the screwdriver as he falls off.

Apr 2007
    I've never smoked, so I'm not sure about that whole analogy (is it kind of like Harry Potter or Twilight?), but my 4 bikes I own are all SS and/or fixed. And I'm constantly looking for another project (current -- 650B SS and vintage road fixed conversion). Wife wants her Inbred geared to 1x9. That was 3 months ago and it's still SS.

And did you mean Skittles or SkidMarks?

mtbr member
    Skittles, there's no such thing as brown Skittles.

I've never smoked either. I do get the high from smoking gearies when I pass them on the trail and on the road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    DO you have a SS FS bike in your repertoire?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxking45
    DO you have a SS FS bike in your repertoire?
    No, I shamefully don't... the shame... the shame.

A perfect candidate would be an old Trek Y bike with an ENO hub. I saw one like that no long ago. Guy was haulin' it like he stole it and passed me up a hill.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    ...Guy was haulin' it like he stole it and passed me up a hill.
    Wait a second... You got passed? While riding a singlespeed? On an uphill?

I didn't think it was possible for a guy on a singlespeed, on an uphill to get passed. Oh wait, he was on a singlespeed too. Wow, so confusing, I'm having trouble wraping my brain around this, you guys must have been flyin' up that hill. Kinda Contador/Schlekesqe I'd imagine. But then again I think they both ride gearies so I'm sure they would have been off the back in a heartbeat.

BTW - IMO "gearie" is second only to "fully" as the most annoying term in the cycling vernacular.

smell the saddle...
    I vote Ernesto gets the award for most creative thread titles and content.

Early this yearI got the option to purchase an immaculate well kept Titus Motolite from an old biking buddy who is now a quadriplegic. He probably has 4k dumped in the bike, sick pushed Fox fork, King wheelset, itís decked out to say the least. So I sold my old Superlight to grab the bike from him back in Feb. To date the bike has seen zero miles and I doubt it will anytime soon. I continue to ride SS fulltime and about the only thing I used the Titus for was to swap better parts to my Bianchi (Formula k24 brakes, King headset, etc.) SoÖ now I am considering selling the full FS rig to a good home because the bike needs to ridden because it will certainly collect dust in my locker.

So to answer your question, addictive like smoking what? SSing is like crack. And I hate skittles, I favor licorice instead (and it comes in black to match my soul).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut
    Wait a second... You got passed? While riding a singlespeed? On an uphill?

I didn't think it was possible for a guy on a singlespeed, on an uphill to get passed. Oh wait, he was on a singlespeed too. Wow, so confusing, I'm having trouble wraping my brain around this, you guys must have been flyin' up that hill. Kinda Contador/Schlekesqe I'd imagine. But then again I think they both ride gearies so I'm sure they would have been off the back in a heartbeat.

BTW - IMO "gearie" is second only to "fully" as the most annoying term in the cycling vernacular.
    Isn't the vernacular next to the vas deference?

Well, the guy that passed me was on an easier gear too, and I had already had my fill of 25 humid miles - that's my excuse. He only did one lap of the 10 mile loop. I did three. This was about 2 years ago.

This morning, I spotted the triathloneer in the distance. I mashed the pedals and passed the guy about 2 miles later. Gratification... he thought he was going fast too - all aerobars and unitard to match his helmet.

I didn't brake the speed of sound - more like the speed of fart.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ...This morning, I spotted the triathloneer in the distance. I mashed the pedals and passed the guy about 2 miles later. Gratification... he thought he was going fast too - all aerobars and unitard to match his helmet.
    Sweet dude! Was there anyone around to catch that on their cell phone video camera? That sounds totally Youtube worthy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut
    Sweet dude! Was there anyone around to catch that on their cell phone video camera? That sounds totally Youtube worthy.
    I was actually on the left shoulder, ready to make a left turn. He was on the wide open shoulder on the right. I passed him while I was on the opposing shoulder of the south bound stretch of 164 in Sussex.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Half of my bikes are SS or fixed, the other half have gears.

I like gears on my Peregrine (IGH) because it makes the bike a bit more versatile... but I have been considering SS on it...

I need gears on my Big Dummy. I haul so much crap it's required.

I need gears on my Pugsley because conditions change so much that I need to change my gear ratio with it.

I have gears on my 1985 Trek 600 because it's a very pretty bike and I wanted it to look classic.

I have gears on my early 90's Raleigh CX or whatever the hell it is because it's a cheap bike with decent wheels and makes a great back up commuter/beater.

I have two bikes that are always fixed and two that are always SS. One changes with the season (summer SS, winter fixed).

Out spokin'
    The speed of smell.

"Former" stripper? Bummer.

I have two SS bikes and several that aren't. I make no apologies nor offer explanations.

I am a cyclist. I am a cyclist. I am a cyclist.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    you ernesto have you considered selling WI bottom brackets ?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    smoking is pretty damn cool and all but i just got in to camel snus, stuff is great!

I put one in at work today was dizzy and had to poop like crazy, I highly recommend it.
    best part.... it hasnt been linked to cancer.... YET!

seriously, SS is pretty legit. I put away gears on the trail bike years ago and don't see me going back anytime soon.
    no chain no gain.

nothing to see here
    If it's like smoking, do you ride after sex?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel
    smoking is pretty damn cool and all but i just got in to camel snus, stuff is great!

I put one in at work today was dizzy and had to poop like crazy, I highly recommend it.
    best part.... it hasnt been linked to cancer.... YET!

seriously, SS is pretty legit. I put away gears on the trail bike years ago and don't see me going back anytime soon.

sorry Asthma and common sense hold me back from tobacco
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

I'm just messing with you
    Chocolate covered crack might've been a better analogy
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Ovaries on the Outside
    I like to ride fixed and smoke cigars. I'm sure it would be ironic if more of my components were color matched.

Only fixed has been addicting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Only fixed has been addicting.
    It as addicting to me until my right hip started getting bum on me - I can't... I can't ride fixed anymore.

SS is as good as a good, greasy bar pizza. As good as climax. As good as not eating all day until you get a Mac Warp from the drive-thru, then the Mc****ker tells you you have to come inside because they won't serve you if you're on a bike...

Anyway, SSing is as good as finding that unique restaurant you end up going to all the time and never gets old.

As good as having a hiatus from a 24 hr event race for 5 years, and do the race with 5 other guys (6 man team to help with math) all on Surly Pugsleys next weekend.

As good as having a good time with friends outside on the pati of a Mexican restaurant in Wisconsin - Margaritas and good times. All good times.

Out spokin'
    I...
    As good as having a good time with friends outside on the pati of a Mexican restaurant in Wisconsin - Margaritas and good times. All good times.
    Wait a minute... there's Mexican restaurants in Wisconsin? Who knew?

As good as a summer intern who wants to see the inside of your van?

--sParty

P.S. Sorry you can't fixie no mo', Erno.
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Wait a minute... there's Mexican restaurants in Wisconsin? Who knew?

As good as a summer intern who wants to see the inside of your van?

--sParty

P.S. Sorry you can't fixie no mo', Erno.
    Wisconsin has a plethora of Mexicans. They come by the sailboat-load. Actually, I was in Wauconda, IL, today. Seeing Mexican goods at a gas station was kind of weird. Thing is, Mexican candy and them other Mexican snacks are f'n good.

As for my van. If I owned one, I'd invite you to go in it for some candy.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-mTUmczVdik&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-mTUmczVdik&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

smell the saddle...
    I can verify the mexicano restaurants in WI. My wife is from Sheboygan, WI. Strange place to visit when you are from New Orleans.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    you ernesto have you considered selling WI bottom brackets ?
    I can order one for you if you'd like. I personally haven't used them yet. I still have some Shimano square tapers that have lasted for years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    I can verify the mexicano restaurants in WI. My wife is from Sheboygan, WI. Strange place to visit when you are from New Orleans.
    Sheboygan is like "Children of the corm"

smell the saddle...
    Sheboygan is like "Children of the corm"
    How far are you from there? We'll prob go visit her grandma next year. I often have wondered about the trails there. I am usually bored out of mind when we visit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    How far are you from there? We'll prob go visit her grandma next year. I often have wondered about the trails there. I am usually bored out of mind when we visit.
    I live in Hartland, so give or take this - Kettle Moraine's northern unit is in between. Nice trails.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Sheboygan,+WI&am p;daddr=Hartland,+WI&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FayVmwI dHpXF-ilfSUq7wV8DiDEpjkGrzo4vAw%3BFfC6kQId6AG8-ikDsW4KsLIFiDHsDMJvIQZpfA&amp;gl=us&amp;mra=ls&amp ;sll=43.105008,-88.34204&amp;sspn=0.060409,0.139389&amp;g=Hartland ,+WI&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=43.390545,-88.028275&amp;spn=0.73211,0.62749&amp;output=embed "></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=Sheboygan,+WI& amp;daddr=Hartland,+WI&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FayVm wIdHpXF-ilfSUq7wV8DiDEpjkGrzo4vAw%3BFfC6kQId6AG8-ikDsW4KsLIFiDHsDMJvIQZpfA&amp;gl=us&amp;mra=ls&amp ;sll=43.105008,-88.34204&amp;sspn=0.060409,0.139389&amp;g=Hartland ,+WI&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=43.390545,-88.028275&amp;spn=0.73211,0.62749" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

smell the saddle...
    IS that considered Greenbush? I've read about that trail before. I'll have to ship the Muss up there (assuming SS is doable) and borrow grandma's car...

Ovaries on the Outside
    My current girlfriend (and if she is smart....) is from Neenah and she might eventually make me visit her family.

She likes when I smoke cigars and she's been mountain biking for about 4 months. Not SS.

Out spokin'
    In the words of Bill Clinton... "Cigars are for p.u.s.s.y.s."

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

smell the saddle...
    I used to smoke Cubans a good bit. But it's quite an expensive habit.

Members who have read this thread: 0