It isnít SS or bust- Mtbr.com
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

It isnít SS or bust

I like single speeding but I like my geared bikes. My SS isnít fun on some trails and great on others. The tool is chosen contingent on the ride or how I feel that day.

Keep on Rockin...
    Uh... yeah.

Years back, did and raced rigid SS exclusively for a period, but local trails were very conducive to that.

Some trails are just made for a SS. And when you got'm its loads of fun. Where I use to live we had miles and miles of remote single track that was very SS friendly. Those were fun days. The challenge for me was to do all the loops with an increasingly difficult gear ratio.

These days I ride differently and in a different area with more AM trails that are way more fun on a AM bike, as opposed to just surviving them on a SS.

mtbr member
    Cool story, bro.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I like it......My story is I went SS immediately after getting into the sport. But where I live you have nothing. You're lucky to even find another cyclist although there are a few. To single track I have to load my bike up and drive a minimum of an hour and the coolest trails are farther than that. So I got stuck riding a lot of rough double track that wasn't set up for bikes. Single speeding is tough on that stuff. Hell riding gears still has you pushing a lot. So I switched to a 1x10. Recently I switched back and I am all excited. I wonder though how often I will be switching back and forth? Time will tell. One thing for sure though is I am NOT selling off my single speed stuff again. That was the stupidist thing I ever did. If I switch back to gears it will only be temporary.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I like single speeding but I like my geared bikes. My SS isnít fun on some trails and great on others. The tool is chosen contingent on the ride or how I feel that day.

Psyched that I checked in here before leaving the house today.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah breh. Post to the crotchety singlespeeders to tell them how awesome gears are.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    When I run I dont like my balls banging off my legs so i wear whitey tighteys. All other times i wear boxers.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Actually, it is SS or bust:

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I honestly can't remember the last time I rode my geared bike.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cLzmcmoPnTs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up In Smoke
    I grew up as a junior XC racer, blew up my rear derailleur at the end of a season and converted to SS.... stopped racing and started having fun again on a bike, been SS ever since. SS or bust!

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    For starters, I'm not a gear hater. I frankly don't care what anyone rides. I'm amazed at how much the sport has grown and how many people are out riding, especially in what has been brutal weather temps here in NC. Riding, anything, is better than not riding.

Having said all that nonsense, I haven't ridden gears since 2003 and have no intention of ever going back. It simply works for me.

I have watched it pop up as a "fad" and fade away. The only bummer there is the fact that there are fewer frame choices for us single speeders. Right now, things are in a bit of transition. I've been riding 29er only since '06. I remember people saying that 29ers sucked especially because of wheel/tire weight. Now, they're trying to convince everyone that 27.5+ is the bees knees. And, don't get me started with Boost. I guess I'm a luddite retro grouch after all

YMMV:

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hsakkire View Post
    ...I have watched it pop up as a "fad" and fade away. The only bummer there is the fact that there are fewer frame choices for us single speeders.....
    I agree. I can't think of a "single" new production frame that I like. I liked the Niner Sir9, before they butchered it this last year. Luckily, I've still got the previous version, which rides great for me.

If I were to build an ideal bike, I'd go custom anyway. Even back when there were SS frames from every manufacturer.

psycho cyclo addict
    I ride SS more of the time; still ride gears some of the time.

Had a 2010 SIR 9 which was great; then I scored a WaltWorks SS and then went crazy and snagged a Chris King Cielo SS frame too.

Custom frames are awesome if you have the $$$ for new or sufficient patience to wait for a used one in your size to come up for sale.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    If I was to replace any of my bikes, I'd probably get a new Kona Unit.
    Or Santa Cruz Chameleon.

Stateline Falls, Watauga
    "Luddite retro grouch"... damn, someone just wrote my perfect descriptor.
    It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg LeMond
    I'm not as fast as I think I am. -JeffL

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
    "Luddite retro grouch"... damn, someone just wrote my perfect descriptor.
    LOL. Welcome to the club I suppose. We need our own forum for all two of us - LRG forever!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have owned geared HT, FS, and even a few road and CX bikes over the last 27 years of mountain biking and even ride them on occasion. However for the last 13 or so years every time I get on a geared bike I wish I was on my SS. For me it is SS or bust, it is just who I am and perfectly fits how I ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004