ISIS or Sqaure tapered SS Cranks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

ISIS or Sqaure tapered SS Cranks?

Have been looking at some of the 180mm Middleburn RS8 cranks. Just wondering, what would be lighter, ISIS or Square? Also, which would be BETTER?

old man riding!
    I just went through the same thing. I went with the square taper just because I had heard to many bad reviews about isis. I went with white industries eno crank and i'm very pleased.

Nat
    mtbr member
    One vote for square taper being better. Not sure about lighter.

Use this space for what?
    I have a square taper on my SS. They work good, are simple and relatively cheap! The ISIS on my squishy hasn't given me trouble though
    '08 Cannondale SystemSIX 4
    '07 Bianchi MUSS - with trick bits
    '04 Kona Stinky - Sold!
    '86 Miele

CB2
    Jam Econo
    You can get a pretty light Ti square taper. I have a Race Face that was advertised as
    168g.

Keep on Rockin...

SKF BBs if you want to go ISIS...

problem is I can't find them in 73mm width.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    No question. I would pick square taper. I do not care which would be lighter.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I wear two thongs
    My SS has a Shimano LX ISIS or Octalink or whatever shimano calls there splined BB/crank interface and its held up for 3-4 yrs on a gearie and about a month as a SS with no issues except general maintanance. But I ran a Truvativ Square taper for about 2-3 yrs prior to that and it gave me no issues either.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

i don't give a shift
    I used to have a square taper Ti ActionTec BB. Nice, light BB. In fact, a BB can't get any more simple than that one. Nowadays, all my singlespeeds and road bikes have ISIS bottom brackets. I think it's the best spindle to crank interface out there mechanically speaking. Never had bearing issues - must have been teething troubles in ISIS' infancy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    48 splines.

Profile Racing cranks own.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

*Hotter than Hell*
    Aug 2005

68/73mm

Quote Originally Posted by Miker J
    problem is I can't find them in 73mm width.
    - Fits both 68 and 73mm shell bottom brackets, simply add the spacer for 68mm, or remove it if your frame has a 73mm shell

highly visible
    Go Square. It's simply trouble free. I routinely go years without touching my Shimano square taper BBs. Shimano (cheap, moderately heavy, super dependable), Phil (lighter, expensive, super dependable) and Action-Tec (super light, expensive) all make great ST BBs. If you upgrade to Phil or A-T there will be no difference in weight vs. a high end ISIS BB.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Keep on Rockin...

Who carries the 68/73?

Quote Originally Posted by totally_fixxated
    - Fits both 68 and 73mm shell bottom brackets, simply add the spacer for 68mm, or remove it if your frame has a 73mm shell
    I got a 68 which speedgoat carries but can't find who carries the dual. The one I have I'm quite sure is a 68mm only. No spacer.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    another vote for square taper

mtbr member
    square taper. ISIS doesn't seem to last.

better yet, an outboard bearing system.

*Hotter than Hell*
    Aug 2005

New question here. strange?

It doesn't look like this?
    I got a 68 which speedgoat carries but can't find who carries the dual. The one I have I'm quite sure is a 68mm only. No spacer.

Keep on Rockin...

I'm quite sure it didn't come with the extra ring...

I've got it on my bike with a 68 shell and there's no ring and it fits just right. I'll have to pull the old plastic tube it came in to see what it says. Again, I don't think it came with the ring.

Anyway, where did you get yours at? I've got a nice ISIS crankset and don't want to limit it's use.

As a side note, the older Shimano splinned set up was very good. I still have a few of those cranks and BBs (one is on a SS now) and they are pretty nice. I've yet to kill one of those BBs yet. I don't know why they stopped making that style as it was light, strong, and cheap. I nabbed two 180 cranksets for about $80 online when they were on their way out a few years back. Those sets have been on everything from downhill bike to SSs and along with the BBs are still going strong.

Mike

*Hotter than Hell*
    Aug 2005

Skf

Anyway, where did you get yours at?
    Mike
    I got mine from across the pond. I guess QBP isn't importing any of the 73mm BB's?
    http://www.skf.com/files/241246.pdf
    PROFESSIONAL THREAD KILLER!

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Maybe I will just start hanging out in the "Recycle Bin" forum.

Grand Poobah
    Phil Wood square taper BBs cannot be beat.
    There are certainly downsides to square tapers, but there are also a lot of beautiful designs in square taper crank arms.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

180?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan123
    Have been looking at some of the 180mm Middleburn RS8 cranks.
    I thought the RS8 only came in a 175.

friend of preston
    Jan 2006

square taper.

I have a 16 year old un53 BB and it still functions perfectly. It has been on 3 bikes and has been used for probably 9 of those years. On the other hand, i have gone through 7 ISIS BB's over 5 years on 2 bikes. Truvativ BB's seem to hold up the longest for me, an fsa platinum lasted 3 weeks.

I think the problem with the ISIS design is that the bearings are not totally sealed away from moisture that collects in the bb shell, so the water percolates into the bearing and kills it. putting a hole in the shell lets water drain out. with this remedy i have gotten a full year out of one.

I am putting together parts for a 29er and it will be adorned with an "old" turbine LP square taper crank.
    He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.- Dr. Samuel Johnson

Members who have read this thread: 0