Isis choices- Mtbr.com

Thread: Isis choices

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

Isis choices

I've opted for a more elegant solution on my SS, am taking off the Saints and picked up some Middleburn RS7 Uno arms and chainring in the Isis format. What have you Isis users found to be the smoothest bearings with the best seals? I know. I know. Phil Wood with a taper. But, is there anything remotely comparable in an Isis? I run a 57-58ish chainline so need something in the 118 range probably. Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

mtbr member
    The SKF is very durable. No RaceFace, truvative or fsa have lasted longer than half a year for me. The SKF have lasted more than two years with mud, winter and mud here in denmark.

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/i...517218&lang=en

I have this one: BFR-300

mtbr member
    Crank Brothers has a 5 year guarantee.

Seems to be lasting better than their cranks
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Skf?
    Ride more!

Keep on Rockin...

SKF and CB...

I have one of each and both have been going strong. The SKF has a few seasons on it and seems as good as new.

SKFs are tough to find though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've had great warranty experience with Crank Brothers in the past (called them up and dealt directly) on other items. I've no reason to believe that their BB wouldn't be a primo product.

You know, for kids
    SKF, no contest

get them at mtbtandems.com

I've been running SKF ISIS BBs for a long while, no issues, still buttery smooth
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

crap magnet

SKF's at Jenson

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...b.aspx?sc=FRGL

Wish I'd know about these before buying my p.o.s. FSA.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

Skf

I've been doing a little research myself over the last 24 and SKF seems to be the clear choice. It can be had several different ways, one being Chain Reaction in England. The dollar is looking pretty good against the pound right now. The real dilemma seems to be in figuring out the spindle length to match up with the rear chainline. I measure it at 55 with the WI freewheel. Any idea if a 113 or a 118mm spindle will get me there? I have a 68mm bottom bracket shell and the Middleburn site calls for a 48mm chainline up front. I don't know what length spindle they are talking about at that chainline. I may have to buy some el-cheapo bb to get an idea.

mtbr member
    Middleburn say you need 113mm for a 48mm chainline
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Does anyone know what the warranty is for the SKF BB? I've been looking pretty strongly at the BXC-600, but I might go the Crank Bros route if they stand behind their product for a much longer period of time. The system with the roller pins that SKF uses makes a lot of sense, but almost feel like the chances of killing a bottom bracket and getting a new one are pretty good over 5 years. Also how easy can the bearings be replaced in each, does anyone know? I have a feeling the worlds largest bearing maker would make their bearings easy to replace, but that's just an assumption.

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

Throw aways

Not to hijack my own thread, but my understanding is that Isis is pretty much a discard when the bearings go. SKF has a 10 year warranty, I believe. This is why I would like to go SKF. The real problem is chainline for me, and this thread. If I measure correctly, my rear chainline is 55 mm. That is from the center of the hub to the center of the flange on the WI freewheel. Is this assumption correct? To figure this, I just measured from the center of the freewheel flange on each side of my dishless flip-flop wheel and divided by 2. That would mean a 123 mm Isis bottom bracket, approx., to get about the same up front. Any flaws in my amateurish logic?

Members who have read this thread: 0