Which ISIS BB is worthy of my Middleburns!?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Which ISIS BB is worthy of my Middleburns!?

I thought SKFs were the end all be all of the ISIS heap but heard something today about the splines being inconsistent...the shop owner I talked to recommended either the Crank Brothers version or the FSA downhill version. Then again, I have heard bad about both of these also.

Bottom line, I have some sweet SS cranks I don't want to give up and need a bb to match. What should I get???

mtbr member
    SKF or bust. Just avoid the Truvativ's!
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

AZ
    banned
    SKF or none .

mtbr member
    I have been using a Ti Crank Brothers BB with my Middleburns. It has a five year warranty, so I figure I will send it to them if it goes bad.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    May 2004
    SKF for me. Been running one on a set of RS8 for about 4 years now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Does it matter which SKF version I get?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've actually had very good luck with the Token titanium with ceramic bearings. Bought it on Ebay from a shop called Professional Cycling Discount. Fast shipping and pretty easy to work with. I've heard nothing but great tinges about Ernie the guy behind it.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K
    Does it matter which SKF version I get?
    600 series is all stainless, 300 series is mainly normal steel from memory, but all have the roller bearing in the drive side.

The ones with the "FR" code are the "freeride" ones with a thicker spindle wall and a smaller diameter crank bolt, the price you pay is in extra grams (but if you're buying an all stainless BB then you probably aren't chasing the grams).

JustRide44
    +1 on the Crank Brothers Ti. seem to be light & bomber. I've got it on my Middleburns & work great!

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    So why didn't we keep ISIS if SKF got it right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've been running a RaceFace ISIS BB with my Middleburns. It was second hand when I intalled it, and it's just shat itself after 3 and a half years of high torque SS abuse!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    So why didn't we keep ISIS if SKF got it right?
    If SKF had done it 10 years earlier, we'd probably still have it as the accepted standard.

As it was, by the time they brought a decent product onto the marketplace, everybody had already got fed up with the monumental reliability fail of pretty much all the other manufacturers and had moved on to outboard bearings, Octalink and everything else.

Too many dodgy half arsed ISIS BB's brought to the market are what killed ISIS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Where can I purchase SKF ISIS BB online?

Is this still running? http://www.mtbtandems.com/ just curious coz their last update stated 2006.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think the American Classic is lighter (but not sure about better). I was using the CB Titanium on my Jet9 and it has been fine. When I stripped the frame (Jet9 warranty), I noticed it was not super smooth. CB sent me a new one. CB Service is great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBoy
    Where can I purchase SKF ISIS BB online?

Is this still running? http://www.mtbtandems.com/ just curious coz their last update stated 2006.

Yep, MTB Tandems is a great place to buy from. Give them a call, great guy (can't remember his name) and very helpfull.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Purchased a SKF 600 from Alex at MTB tandems almost 1-1/2 years ago and it's still going strong. FSA Platinum lasted about six months and a Crank Bros/Non Ti lasted less than 1 year. I love my Middleburns and I'm glad I found the SKF. I really didn't want to give up the cranks and the limited selection of ISIS BBs almost killed it for me. The SKF is pricey but well worth the investment.

Members who have read this thread: 0