ISIS; is this what I have to look forward to?- Mtbr.com
    Retro Grouch

ISIS; is this what I have to look forward to?

Spike and I trade bike parts on a regular basis, so when I'm looking for some Bontrager cranks, he's there for me. Now I know these cranks haven't seen much action, as I traded him a set of Truvativ 180's that took their place on his GF Rig. When I look at the Truvativ bottom bracket, it looks a little beat up, but nothing a little TLC and a Dremal tool can't fix. But as I check the bottom bracket more closely I discover that it is toast. The gear side bearings are loose and gravely and the other side is seized. Is this normal with ISIS bottom brackets?

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka brad; 10-14-2006 at 07:16 PM.

banned
    Yesum.

velocipede technician
    yes, the only one i have much luck with is the rf signature ti, but dang the cost some bucks
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    look for a SKF ISIS bottom bracket-much better than RF, TV or FSA

mtbr member
    I hate TruVativ bb's. I've never had one that worked for more than 2 rides. Im currently on a RF Evolve XC, with 3 mos of SS. I am kinda eager to try out the Crank Bros. Cyan, but i just cant justify it till this one gives up the ghost!
    Im just saying..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Spike and I trade bike parts on a regular basis, so when I'm looking for some Bontrager cranks, he's there for me. Now I know these cranks haven't seen much action, as I traded him a set of Truvativ 180's that took their place on his GF Rig. When I look at the Truvativ bottom bracket, it looks a little beat up, but nothing a little TLC and a Dremal tool can't fix. But as I check the bottom bracket more closely I discover that it is toast. The gear side bearings are loose and gravely and the other side is seized. Is this normal with ISIS bottom brackets?

1G1G, Brad
    Not normal. But I use the Gigapipe version with 3 sealed bearings.

Complete Bastard
    I'm running FSA isis bottom brackets and have had no issues in over a year, many miles. One platinum pro ti and one platinum pro. I think a lot of the 'isis is bad' juju comes from people who get cheap ones.

Retro Grouch

yeah

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Not normal. But I use the Gigapipe version with 3 sealed bearings.
    That's what this one is..

Brad

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I had a RF Signature ISIS bottom bracket, but the SKF that I have now is much better and smoother. For me personally it's worth the extra money!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad

1G1G, Brad
    That is their reputation.

If I had an ISIS crank I would like to try the Crank Bros ISIS BB. It has a 5-year warranty. It would either last or CB would go broke replacing mine. I have never had a non-grease injectable BB last more than 6 months. One year I went through 5 BBs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    oh dear...
    i've got the last 2 truvativ isis overdrive BBs i could find. here's to hoping they last a while and i'm not stuck with a gravity bike
    damn obscure overdrive (the BIG diameter BB that was the "standard" for about an hour and a half, last year).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dhallilama
    oh dear...
    i've got the last 2 truvativ isis overdrive BBs i could find. here's to hoping they last a while and i'm not stuck with a gravity bike
    damn obscure overdrive (the BIG diameter BB that was the "standard" for about an hour and a half, last year).
    The point of the "oversize" BB you have was to increase the bearing size for durability.

The "regular" ISIS BBs have little room for the bearings and the bearings end up being small and fragile.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0