IRO Mia vs Redline monocog vs KHS Solo One....- Mtbr.com
    ChampagneTaste-BeerMoney
    Feb 2004

IRO Mia vs Redline monocog vs KHS Solo One....

I would love to get into the single speed thing and I am on a pretty strict budget. I cannot spend over $600 at this point. Looking at my options The Redline, IRO and KHS fit the bill. They all seem to be pretty good bikes with each having their own +s and -s. Any input on these bikes would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

http://www.irocycle.com/id15.html

http://www.khsbicycles.com/03_solo_one_06.htm

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/monocog.html

brother on a mission
    I have been riding the solo-one for little over a year.

It is a nice bike. The new one does not have the soft tail frame, and it looks pretty nice.

The things that you may want to upgrade:
    -the stock gearing is pretty tall 33:16
    -The stock brakes are O.K.,you may want to swap out the pads
    -Everything else works well.

my upgrades:
    My bike has a front disk, a rear SD7 brake, a mary bar, a thomson seat post, oury grips, a surly rear hub with a mavic rim, and a WI ENO 19tooth freewheel. The only upgrades I felt were necessary for my style of riding were the freewheel and the brakes. The upgrades I am very happy I made include the mary bars and the grips. The post and the wheel were good deals I stumbled upon.

an addendum:

I ride with two other singlespeeders. One rides an IRO and it is a nice frame. He put his own components on it, so I can't speak for the components that come wiht the IRO. The other guys rides the new solo-one. The only change he made was the gearing, and he really likes his bike.

There is a shop in NH unloading the redline 29er monocog for $450. If I were looking to purchase a new bike, that one would get a very long look.

Cheers,

GF
    Last edited by Greenfix; 06-21-2006 at 01:02 PM.

mtbr member

My vote goes to the Solo One

Have been riding a solo-one for two years and can't say enough about it or the amazing KHS customer service from the company.
    It is certainly a great deal for the money and totally upgrade-able.
    Like the other poster said, go with the white industries freewheel and maybe the disc brakes too if you have the money, but yep, that bike is awesome.
    The only thing I think is an absolute necessity if you can only do one other upgrade right now is a chain tensioner...surly tuggnut--$24.95.

Oh and the Kenda stock tires are awesome---aftermarket they are like $40 each.
    I think the wheels are excellent and I always ride really rooty trails so I can vouch for their strength. The frame is steel to boot- great bonus.
    The whole bike, the upgraded WI freewheel and the upgraded mechanical disc brakes should keep you within your alloted budget or pretty close to it if you look around. You should be able to find the stock bike for around 450.00 complete if you shop around.

Although, the IRO and the Redline look pretty darn cool...can't speak from experience on them though.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    redline will be the cheapest. i have two, 26 and 29er, and i like both a lot.

iro is cool, dont see many of them around, they are slick and simple, have decent components, and apparently can be run as 29ers if you ever feel like doing that.

i cant say a thing for the KHS, because im unfamiliar with them. but the above posts did what i couldnt do. in fact, i didnt do much. just killing time at work.

and i just found out we are closed the monday before the 4th. hell yes.

mtbr member

Another Point...

Okay, I just took a look at the specs of the three bikes you are considering and noticed that the sizing is very different on some important areas:

Top Tube
    Wheel Base
    Head Angle to Seat Angle degrees

Rather than going by price point, you should see which one of these matches closest to your current bike setup or if you can get your hands on test rides, see which one feels the best.

I realize now I love mine so much because it is very similarly sized to my other bikes...I don't know if I would like it so much if the sizing were closer to those other manuf. specs which are way off to what I normally ride.

I guess there is no "standard" when it comes to sizing for bike frames...

What day are we riding?

Mia

I will throw in a vote for the Mia as probably the most versatile of the group. And it rides great too. Look at the top tube lengths before you pick your size.

I have set mine up as a 26 SS, 26 1x9, snow bike with 47mm rims and 3.0 Gazzaloddi front and rear, and a 29er. Right now it is configured as a 26 fixie.

brother on a mission
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkdirt
    The only thing I think is an absolute necessity if you can only do one other upgrade right now is a chain tensioner...surly tuggnut--$24.95.
    I second this. Wheel slippage was one of the reasons I am runnning the bolt on Surly hub, which also solved the problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I just bought a Monocog 26". I've been riding it for over a month or so. I love it to death. The only upgrades I made were eggbeater pedals and OURY grips. I switched out the back tire too, because the Kenda Kharmas it comes stock with are lousy in the rooty, rocky sand I ride. The bike feels strong, like I'll never be able to break it. Sounds like you can't go wrong with your choices though.

Something's tingling
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin
    I will throw in a vote for the Mia as probably the most versatile of the group. And it rides great too. Look at the top tube lengths before you pick your size.

I have set mine up as a 26 SS, 26 1x9, snow bike with 47mm rims and 3.0 Gazzaloddi front and rear, and a 29er. Right now it is configured as a 26 fixie.
    I second the Mia! but like Rockin said, check your top tube lengths first. I bought mine a size small for the standover and adjusted the stem, post, and bars. BTW Rockin, how did you set yours up as a 1x9? I first had mine set up rigid, now it's a hardtail for all day comfort.
    "Make me proud, son. Or at least less ashamed." -- Abe Simpson

What day are we riding?
    DMR makes a chain tug with a hanger on it for horizontal dropouts.

ChampagneTaste-BeerMoney
    Feb 2004

Thanks for the input

I definitely need to try and test ride each bike if I can. I currently ride a Large Stumpy FSR with a 110mm stem, and a 56cm Cannondale R700 with a 100mm stem, and I like the feel of both. I see that the IRO has a short top tube; I am assuming that is actual and not effective top tube. The possibilities of the IRO is very intriguing, especially that idea of potentially running it as a 29er if I chose to do so. The geometry of the KHS may look like the best fit though and the price tag of the redline has me leaning that way.

Curious, how does your MIA feel with the frame size a bit too small? According to their geometry I should probably get the 20" (I am 5'10 with a 33.5" inseam), but I am worried about the standover as well. If I do decide to try the 29er thing down the road it seems as thought the standover on the 20" would become too much for me. I would prefer the 18" if it would fit right. How short is the effective top tube?

Rockin what size is your Mia? How did it handle as a 29er?

Thanks for all of the input!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i got a 26 monocog on ebay ayear ago for 200 its older and has 110 spacing for rear hub other than being locked into bmx hubs its a bombproof sick ass machine great ride im 5'9"+ and 32 inseam the 18 is a perfect fit for me. TEST RIDE! first.

Something's tingling
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke-Biker
    Curious, how does your MIA feel with the frame size a bit too small? According to their geometry I should probably get the 20" (I am 5'10 with a 33.5" inseam), but I am worried about the standover as well. If I do decide to try the 29er thing down the road it seems as thought the standover on the 20" would become too much for me. I would prefer the 18" if it would fit right. How short is the effective top tube?
    I'm 5'9" with 30" inseam and the 16" fits me fine with a 105 mm stem and a 1" setback post. In retrospect, the 18" would be a better fit, but I like mine on the small side for the flickability. That, and I would still have the standover if I choose to go the 29er route. Keep in mind that doing this will raise the bottom bracket to about 13.5". Tony at IRO will set you straight about the proper fit. Good luck.
    "Make me proud, son. Or at least less ashamed." -- Abe Simpson

mtbr member
    Man, the IRO is tempting! According to their spec, the weight is only 22lbs stock! Thats significantly lighter than the monocog (27lbs) and seems like a great deal for $569. I'm looking to buy my first SS as well and have been following this thread. I'm 5'10 with 31" inseem and am also having a hard time with sizing.

Most of the SS's I have looked at have similar geometry, with 23" top tube (same as my current bike). Are there any other brands with similar short top-tube to use as a test ride?

What day are we riding?
    I have the 20" frame and here are the numbers:

With Karate Monkey fork and 26" 2.5 Weirwolfs- SO at ST: 31", SO at HT: 33.5", BB 12.5"
    With Karate Monkey fork and 29" Nanoraptors- SO at ST: 32", SO at HT: 34.5", BB 13.5"
    With 1x1 fork and 26" 2.5 Weirwolfs- SO at ST: 30.25", SO at HT: 32.75", BB 11.75"
    With 1x1 fork and 29" Nanoraptors- SO at ST: 31.25", SO at HT: 33.75", BB 12.75"

Measurements rounded to the nearest .25" according to my eyeball. Sorry that I did not have the stock frame to take measurements with.

ChampagneTaste-BeerMoney
    Feb 2004
    Rockin, that's great information, thanks for taking the time out to measure and post. I found a bike shop close enough to me that carries both IRO and KHS. I will call them to see what they have in stock to test those two bikes. I have a couple of Redline dealers in the area as well, so I should hopefully see some time on all three. I would love to fit on the 18" Mia if I can. I will let you know how things turn out. Thanks to everyone for all of their help. Happy hunting slcdawg!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i recently purchased the redline monocog and it is an exceptional bike. the frame is literally bombproof, however i would suggest getting a new headset. i busted the cane creek after its third ride on the trails.

right now i am upgrading my monocog with an american classic headset, profile bmx crank, profile 34t chain ring, avid digit 7's.

mtbr member
    Yeah, you too. If you test ride the IRO post back here with your impressions. I wish there was a dealer around here that carried them - sounds like a great bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0