IRO MIA for 1st timer?- Mtbr.com
    MTBR member
    Jan 2007

IRO MIA for 1st timer?

I am looking for an inexpensive SS to train on In poor weather. I live in Utah and it is also very hilly. I was originally thinking of the Redline monocog, but I don't like the idea of 110mm spacing. I heard someone suggest the IRO MIA on another thread. However, the MIA is not available in a 19 inch-I ride a 19 inch Truth, w/ a 28 inch standover. Is the 18 inch too small for a 19 inch rider; is anyoneelse riding an 18 inch MIA? Also, should I buy this bike complete or as a frame?Where are they made-I don't want steep east coast angles.
    By the way-the IRO website sucks!

Sweep the leg!
    Is a Raleigh XXIX in your budget?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I checked it out, but it's a bit more than I want to spend. Maybe Ill just wait for a good used bike to pop up. Thanks!

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    The latest Monocogs have regular 135 spacing.

donkey
    where a bike is made has almost nothing to do with its geometry (anymore). I'm not sure, but its safe to assume that IROs are made in some generic bike factory in Asia.

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nbrennan
    where a bike is made has almost nothing to do with its geometry (anymore). I'm not sure, but its safe to assume that IROs are made in some generic bike factory in Asia.

http://irocycle.com/iro/index.php?ma...id=3&chapter=0

donkey
    is that to say that they are manufactured here, or just hq-ed here? if they are welded here, than thats a great price.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I was suggesting that bikes from east coast companies, regardless of where they are made, have different geometry than west coast bikes. East coast bikes have steeper head angles and shorter chainstays, than say a Yeti which caters to a more west coast trail. At least this was the case when I rode back east-maybe this is no longer the case; I am originally from CT, but now live in Utah. I don't need a bike w/ geometry set up for muddy, technical trails. I am only looking for an inexpensive beginner SS bike.

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    I remember reading that IRO's are built in the US. I may be wrong however.

Anyway, If you can't find an IRO that fits, check out the Monocog, as I said earlier. they now have standard 135 rear spacing.

Members who have read this thread: 1